• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting for barbel

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi, advice needed please. To my utter shame I have never trotted for barbel, preferring instead to use different forms of static presentation. This is rather odd as I love trotting the upper reaches of various rivers here in Norfolk.
My query is this: what tackle/rigs/floats etc will I have to invest in to try trotting for barbel on the Wye this year?
Any tips/advice will be gratefully received!

Watching with keen interest.
New to barbel fishing and have tried rolling meat which is good fun, also 'static' approach.
From a coarse background but have mainly fished still waters so river skills need brushing up.
Been doing some trotting for other species this year and keen to get out there and catch barbel on the float.
Got a guided trip booked on the Severn in the summer & the guy is going to mix it up with the methods as he knows some good spots for the float.
Good luck.

Hi Paul, i'm no expert, but have caught plenty trotting on the wye. My setup is usually 8lb Hyper sensor main line to a 6lb hook link. Floats - i've found heavier better than lighter as they are easier to control, usually i'm using 5 or 6 gram floats annything top and bottom the you can hold back a bit. Rod - i'm using a Cadence #3 14ft which is cheap, light & will handle anything. Reel - anything thats light with a good drag.

Feeding is the key, keep the bait going in, every cast or twice a cast and you'll normally get them if they are there.

Wading is obviously good as the closer you can get to the fish the better your control.

Hi Paul, i'm no expert, but have caught plenty trotting on the wye. My setup is usually 8lb Hyper sensor main line to a 6lb hook link. Floats - i've found heavier better than lighter as they are easier to control, usually i'm using 5 or 6 gram floats annything top and bottom the you can hold back a bit. Rod - i'm using a Cadence #3 14ft which is cheap, light & will handle anything. Reel - anything thats light with a good drag.

Feeding is the key, keep the bait going in, every cast or twice a cast and you'll normally get them if they are there.

Wading is obviously good as the closer you can get to the fish the better your control.
Hi Steve,
Thanks for that. Very useful. I watch some videos on YouTube by a guy called "Avon Angler" and he swears by his Cadence rod. I have an old Shimano barbel rod with a spare lighter tip which could be used (it's twin was pulled into the Wye years ago by a barbel, due to a combination of not setting the baitrunner and not concentrating!)
What does anyone know about "drake" floats? Are they a "style" or a "make" and are they any good for barbel trotting?
Thanks again

I've been using the Cadence CR10 15ft Match #2, landed double figure barbel no problem, very good rod. Can't beat a centre pin. Favorite line is Silstar Match Team in 10lb, fished straight through to hook. No split shot to weaken the line, only ollivettes and float stops. Banded pellet or meat on the hook. Size 10 hook. Big floats at least 6g but have gone up to 12g. For me it's really a low water/summer technique, preferably in waders. 6 or 8mm pellets fed every trot, important to keep it regular....but more important - find a shoal of fish first! Oh, and make a strap for your landing net so you can have it slung over your shoulder while wading, but be careful wading.

I've been using the Cadence CR10 15ft Match #2, landed double figure barbel no problem, very good rod. Can't beat a centre pin. Favorite line is Silstar Match Team in 10lb, fished straight through to hook. No split shot to weaken the line, only ollivettes and float stops. Banded pellet or meat on the hook. Size 10 hook. Big floats at least 6g but have gone up to 12g. For me it's really a low water/summer technique, preferably in waders. 6 or 8mm pellets fed every trot, important to keep it regular....but more important - find a shoal of fish first! Oh, and make a strap for your landing net so you can have it slung over your shoulder while wading, but be careful wading.
Very good advice.

Have a search for Andrew Burt floats on these pages.

Perfect for the Wye and great value.

This explains the late great Keith Speer's way. Well worth a read.

Again, I'm a long way from being any expert, but I have had some success trotting on my limited trips to the Wye. This is what I've found.
Finding the fish is important, waders will help no end with this, they can be tucked up in a very small area( low conditions can certainly be your friend).
Gullies/ creases in or next to fast water are good. Constrictions where the depth and flow increase can also be good, even if it's only a small amount in both cases, especially if vegetation is hanging over.
I generally use Pellets or pieces of meat as bait, and feed the same and maybe a bit of Hemp.
14ft Acolyte plus and centrepin, with minimum 8lb mainline and 6 hooklength.
I find 4 or 5 gram DH avon floats more than adequate for most situations.

I was able to buy a very little used Free Spirit 15ft HI-S Power Float rod at a good price which is a superb rod. I have also used one at the other end of the price scale, namely a Korum Glide 12-14ft, which I used at 14ft.
I am a centre pin fan but it does restrict you due to limitations on casting. This I load with 8lb Gardner Hydroflo and fish it straight through to the hook. I am now a convert to olivettes rather than shot due to potential damage to the line. These can be fixed in place with float stops.
After about 18 months experience I would echo the advice above regarding feeding, pellets, hemp, small pieces of meat. You could almost spend as much time feeding as fishing to get the most out of a swim on rivers with a fast pace.
Float wise, Drennan loafers are ok, but the small top restricts your ability to see them at distance. Next season I am going to use Bolo type floats and Dave Harrell avons. Word of warning on the Dave Harrel floats, give them a coat of varnish as the paint is very thin and easily removed when sliding the float rubber on the tip.
Good luck!

I use a 15ft Maver Signature Pro with a centrepin for trotting, using a minimum of 0.22mm line straight through, sometimes 0.26mm if it’s quick water. This season I left the centrepin at home and used my 2500 fixed spool reel with a Tricast 14ft xs rod using a Dave Harrell loaded speci waggler and found it enabled me to cover many more swims. Very effective method. I feed 4mm pellets and hemp alternately every cast and use corn and maple peas as hook bait on a size 10. The maples look like at pellet and can be easily hooked, and don’t fall off on the retrieve. I have all types of waders and if you’re on a budget would recommend the procast waders from fishingwaders.co.uk which are £70. They are pvc but loose fitting around the chest so you effectively breathe. I wear mine even in summer most of the time despite having relatively expensive breathables, just because they’re a lot less hassle. Don’t buy the cheaper boot version though. I have a magnet on the back of my jacket which holds a large scoop net on my back. Good luck, it’s a lot of fun.

Back