• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trent Done a Big Un

Dodgy photo of when I caught it prior to its 5 1/2lb growth spurt...Ive caught it twice, once at 12lb 4 and the second time 12lb 0oz. Looking at the guys photo Im not sure its much bigger than that now.

DSC00465.jpg

b208182456855b5680dad1bcd630c63f_L.jpg

Dodgy photo of when I caught it prior to its 5 1/2lb growth spurt...Ive caught it twice, once at 12lb 4 and the second time 12lb 0oz. Looking at the guys photo Im not sure its much bigger than that now.

DSC00465.jpg

Sorry Matt, I am afraid that right or wrong (and I would say you are right) no credence will be attached to your claim because that looks suspiciously like a camou jacket hanging up behind you, meaning that many of the members on here will now totally discount you as a serious angler :p How very dare you :D

Cheers, Dave.

Nice one Matt. Pretty much confirmed my suspicions, one has to be careful how one voices them on here ;)

Last edited:
Sorry Matt, I am afraid that right or wrong (and I would say you are right) no credence will be attached to your claim because that looks suspiciously like a camou jacket hanging up behind you, meaning that many of the members on here will now totally discount you as a serious angler How very dare you

Don't be silly. That isn't a camo jacket.
It's his camo hotwater bottle cover
Graham I'm in agreement.

Colin

A fish easy to recognize, it will be interesting to see what it weighs on its next capture.

I'd have thought that in -8 weather there'd be some frost on the ground??

Paul

Not so chaps, it was minus 11 here a week or so ago when i left for work and there was no need to scrape the car windscreen.

!2.0lb in August 08 Ray, i know where this is going ! that could have done 14lb by March 09, nearly 3 years on 17lb is perfectly feasible, but-- no i'm staying out of this !

I Remember Redbelly (Ouse ) going from 14+ to 19+ in 4-5 years and the same with the Pope. I remember catching the Traveller back in 1997-98 at 15.10 and that got heavier every year until it ended up at 21+ in 2006. At that time in 97-98, the Traveller was only seen to be the '5th' biggest/heaviest barbel on the stretch that we knew off and logged.
Personally speaking, I think you need to see a more recent capture picture and weight claimed of the fish in question before dismissing it, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Think that the Ouse fish piled weight on due to the high protein baits going in plus a tad smaller than the trent and less fish , if the fish comes out again in next 12 months weighing 14lb then think what everyone is thinking on here will be true

Maybe ..but not quite Robert. A large healthy barbel can fluctuate from 14 (summer) up to 17+ (Winter/Spring, in one season... and then drop back to 14or 15 after dropping its spawn. Not all female barbel do this to this extent in weight gain and loss as each fish is an individual. Some produce more spawn than others, some drop part of the spawn at different times depending on conditions where they may be interupted. Usually, an up and coming barbel will hold/gain 1lb+ in weight in muscle/build/stature each year after it has spawned.
Sometimes we need to find the track record of a particular barbel and on this one in question at the mo, there are 3-4 years missing!

Last edited:
Back