• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Treating yourself.

You had a few sessions trotting for barbel this season Simon with some great success and enjoyment.
Those particular areas on the Trent really lend themselves to wading as you know all too well. Why not treat yourself to a centrepin reel just for that activity.
If you thought it was enjoyable using your fixed spools, it’s on another level again completely with a pin. The trotting is nicer, float control smoother and you feel everything through those tiny handles when playing a barbel.

I'm not a traditional angler but given the chance I think I could become a floppy hatted, Wallis casting nightmare quite easily. On that note I think as a retirement present, I would love an Edward Barder rod. They really are a thing of beauty.
Coupled with one of their pins if you could find one !

Coupled with one of their pins if you could find one !
🤔
I’d rather a Chris Lythe with enough change for nice weekend break somewhere myself.

I remember when Barders released that reel thinking how over priced it was for an outsourced manufactured, machined, and frankly boring looking reel. Needless to say the The Barder fans snapped them up quick enough that they sold out.

I'm due to retire in the new year and was thinking I might treat myself to something fishing related when I do. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I need anything.

A custom made pair of floodwater rods could be top of the list, but I'm very happy with the pair I have at the moment. I'm not a collector or seller of rods, and the five rods I have now are fine for the Barbel fishing I currently do.

Three custom Carp rods ?? I don't go often enough to warrant them.

A centrepin ?? It's not the sort of thing I've ever yearned for, although they are very nice.

Any ideas ??
Simon.

First of congratulations on reaching that wonderful milestone mate!

If you don't need anything then my thoughts to your question centre around travelling around the country enjoying some of the better quality fishing.
If you haven't already, treat yourself to a decent reliable motor to enable yourself to do so?

If I was retired & had a bit of time to use I'd be down to the Hampshire Avon, River Wye & enjoy travelling around the country. Scottish borders for a bit of grayling fishing etc.

Failing that, get in touch with Gary Mills of youngs centrepin Reels & book yourself a day with him where you can build your own pin.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself!
😊

Last edited:
I've always loved cars, and fast ones. Just been up to a Toyota showroom to see if I fancy making some memories in a new GR Yaris.
Yeah I've seen them around, look weird from the back of it, but heard they go well! I do love the look of the toyota supra G.R 2.0... Don't like the BMW involvement in the engine! Shame is wasn't an all out Japanese build spec.
Oh and I prefer manual over automatic gear box's which not many do these days.

Custom rods are top of the list of fishing tackle I'd consider. Maybe a power float rod, followed by a centre pin. But I just don't need them though.

I could move my Greys rods on and have some 1'75lbs made, but I really like what I've got for fishing wise. Same with my floodwater gear.

@Richard Isaacs centre pin is a thing of beauty, it really is, and what a piece of engineering it is. Fantastic. I just don't see myself using one. Same with a Barder rod. Lovely things, but not really for me.

A one off trip to one of the flesh spots of Barbel fishing is something I'd consider, only once though. Collingham or Gunthorpe weir.

Top of the bucket list non fishing wise, is a Lions tour to South Africa, but that is a long way off. Mrs A wouldn't be interested, so would have to go on my own. Or a round of Golf on the Old course and a couple of nights in Rusacks hotel alongside the 18th hole.

Difficult to know what to do, as I can see myself buying something just for the sake of it rather than something I need.

🤔
I’d rather a Chris Lythe with enough change for nice weekend break somewhere myself.

I remember when Barders released that reel thinking how over priced it was for an outsourced manufactured, machined, and frankly boring looking reel. Needless to say the The Barder fans snapped them up quick enough that they sold out.
I've been on Chris Lythe's order books for about 3 years... Can't see them coming to fruition if I'm honest. 😔

I'm due to retire in the new year and was thinking I might treat myself to something fishing related when I do. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I need anything.

A custom made pair of floodwater rods could be top of the list, but I'm very happy with the pair I have at the moment. I'm not a collector or seller of rods, and the five rods I have now are fine for the Barbel fishing I currently do.

Three custom Carp rods ?? I don't go often enough to warrant them.

A centrepin ?? It's not the sort of thing I've ever yearned for, although they are very nice.

Any ideas ??
How about a Spitfire flight out of Duxford, it's expensive @ about 5k I think?
My partners elderly uncle did it recently on the recent weekend of its anniversary, and they treated him brilliantly on the day. He has his flight recorded as well.

I've been on Chris Lythe's order books for about 3 years... Can't see them coming to fruition if I'm honest. 😔
I’ve heard this from others before Julian. You’ll get a phone call out of the blue one day telling you it’s ready.

As a warning of the perils in delaying these milestone purchases, I remember lusting over a Lythe reel and considering buying it for my Fortieth. I balked at the price back then, thirteen years ago - £325 seemed a bit extravagant 🙄.
These days of course it’s just three stops at the filling station and I regularly mug myself off for my stupidity.

I’ve heard this from others before Julian. You’ll get a phone call out of the blue one day telling you it’s ready.

As a warning of the perils in delaying these milestone purchases, I remember lusting over a Lythe reel and considering buying it for my Fortieth. I balked at the price back then, thirteen years ago - £325 seemed a bit extravagant 🙄.
These days of course it’s just three stops at the filling station and I regularly mug myself off for my stupidity.
I'll have them when or if they arrive no worries. Great investments, but I'll be using them!

@Richard Isaacs centre pin is a thing of beauty, it really is, and what a piece of engineering it is. Fantastic. I just don't see myself using one. Same with a Barder rod. Lovely things, but not really for me
Fair enough. They certainly ain’t for everyone
Do share when you reach your decision

,.......And Freespirit power float rods.

;)

For what its worth, I wou,d suggest you take a long hard look at the okuma aventa pro and sheffield centrepin reels. The okuma raw and bowlers are also excellent but might be difficuly to source.

Regarding the free spirit power float rods.....I would forget them and look at the drennan acolyte specime float rods which imo are a much better rod in every way.

Back