• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Treating yourself.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I'm due to retire in the new year and was thinking I might treat myself to something fishing related when I do. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I need anything.

A custom made pair of floodwater rods could be top of the list, but I'm very happy with the pair I have at the moment. I'm not a collector or seller of rods, and the five rods I have now are fine for the Barbel fishing I currently do.

Three custom Carp rods ?? I don't go often enough to warrant them.

A centrepin ?? It's not the sort of thing I've ever yearned for, although they are very nice.

Any ideas ??

Like you I have all the tackle I need plus more yet I still check the classified ads and eBay!
Why not treat yourself to a week away somewhere where you can enjoy using the tackle you have. I recently went to the Wye for a week which was special.
Or join a few angling clubs .
Nice idea 👍🏻

I'm not a traditional angler but given the chance I think I could become a floppy hatted, Wallis casting nightmare quite easily. On that note I think as a retirement present, I would love an Edward Barder rod. They really are a thing of beauty.

I’m in the same position retiring wise , but I treated myself early with a pair of Mark Tunley Dark Carbon 2,5’s which can be my go to autumn / winter rods for the Wye and Trent. I was so impressed with his Dark Carbon 1.75s that I decided that would be my reward for 32 years on the railway

I'm due to retire in the new year and was thinking I might treat myself to something fishing related when I do. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I need anything.

A custom made pair of floodwater rods could be top of the list, but I'm very happy with the pair I have at the moment. I'm not a collector or seller of rods, and the five rods I have now are fine for the Barbel fishing I currently do.

A centrepin ?? It's not the sort of thing I've ever yearned for, although they are very nice.

Any ideas ??
I would go for a pair of custom built centre pins to my own specification. Richard Issacs did something similar recently and reading his posts I have to admit I was very envious.

Any ideas ??
Donate some money to charities fighting pollution maybe, to help your fishing retirement?
But enjoy the gear you have, doesn't have to be expensive and custom to have a good time.
Even on here...

Fishing holiday without doubt. If you’re happy with all your gear it’ll just be ‘another rod’ or whatever. I go Windermere every year for a pike weekend and it’s one of the highlights of the year. Great memories are priceless and worth much more than another bit of tackle sat in the tackle shed 👍

Get yourself a drawing done by rob woolnough best £ 50 you will ever spend ccdd3f9f-e701-4737-93e9-b36278680ba6.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 70
Not sure you are right guys. I have always thought treating oneself was for that something special you don't need, but really want. For me, fitting neatly into the same situation as you tacklewise, it would be a mark tunley rod, the multi I think it is called. About 300 or so, enough but mmmmmmmm, one day!

If your budget will suffice; go on a trip somewhere.

That way you don’t end up with even more gear, but you do generate some great memories.
I have to agree with Tim,Simon.Fishing gear is just another possession,a trip somewhere special will give you memories for the rest of your days.I always wanted to see the rainforest while some is left,and to also have a fishing experience.Ended up on a guided Tarpon fishing trip in the Nicaraguan jungle for two weeks on my own.Not a day goes by without me remembering something from that holiday.Unfortunately am still paying for it domestically,when I got back I told my beloved that it was the best holiday I had ever had in my life.Doh!!!

I have to agree with Tim,Simon.Fishing gear is just another possession,a trip somewhere special will give you memories for the rest of your days.I always wanted to see the rainforest while some is left,and to also have a fishing experience.Ended up on a guided Tarpon fishing trip in the Nicaraguan jungle for two weeks on my own.Not a day goes by without me remembering something from that holiday.Unfortunately am still paying for it domestically,when I got back I told my beloved that it was the best holiday I had ever had in my life.Doh!!!
"Treat" is in my book another word for "indulge". "Sensible" doesn't come close

I've always loved cars, and fast ones. Just been up to a Toyota showroom to see if I fancy making some memories in a new GR Yaris.

I looked at a similar trip. Who did you book with ?

I like the idea of a trip somewhere. Always fancied the Royalty for a session, or Redmire, just for the history.

We had a local artist draw pictures of our dogs a while ago, who was very good. Sadly she was suffering with breast cancer and stopped doing drawings. Not sure my mug is something I'd want looking down on everyone in the house though.

I must say Adrian than I can see your point. Some 30 years ago the RSM booked a red letter day for me at Birmingham railway museum for my 50th actually. It involved just 3 of us, plus the tutor, driving THE flying Scotsman for the afternoon. She was there awaiting a re fit for a cracked firebox. Quite magical and the most memorable, outside experience, of my life. The track was about 1/2 mile so obviously, just up and down the line ,but sitting there pulling the regulator and listening to the roar and feeling the power braking then reversing. Still produces goosebumps!

Back