• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Travel Rod - 1.5lb tc or similar

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
Hello - it's been a while since the last thread on this topic so here goes.... I am in the market for a travel rod. I'll be fishing for big chub but would need the ability to deal with a decent barbel if one came along.

It seems that the good ole John Wilson Avon Quiver is still going strong and has a good travel option, however it's either 1.25lb or 1.75lb so probably either too light for barbel or too heavy for Chub. I don't need a quiver tip either as I'll be tough ledgering...

Having previously owned a JW Young rod, I am pretty anti owning another one. The blank seemed to be made of blancmange.

There is of course the 1.5lb 4 piece Harrison (do please contact me if you want to sell me one, particularly at an exceptionally low price) but to be honest, I am struggling to justify the expense for an occasional rod.

Any other suggestions?

Might be a good idea to look at spinning rods. They're more likely to be 4 piece than otherwise and a lot are designed to cast lightish weights and deal with 20lb+ Salmon as well.
Daiwa, Shakespeare, Greys etc all make good quality kit.
Can be really cheap as well. I recently bought an 8' 10-40g 4 piece rod from China for £28. Good quality too.

I was going to mention a jw rod!! Then saw your comments. I've got a ray Walton 11ft 1.5lb rod and it's really nice action. Ultimately you want a pack away rod do no good. Just dine some searches and that ngt looks a good bet. Doesn't seem a lot around test curve and travel rod

Hi Richard,
I have a Harrison 4 piece travel rod that hasn't seen the light of day for more than a couple of years. It was built for me by Marc Barnett when he was co-owner of Mark II Angling in Crayford. Marc builds rods for The Tackle Box, Dartford since Angling Direct bought out Mark II. It's 11 ft. rated at 1lb 6oz TC [I believe], has a 24" cork handle with Fuji reel holder. It's fitted with Fuji two legged rings [guides] [not SIC]. It's only been on the bank about 3-4 times. It comes in a quality cloth bag and stout plastic [drainpipe] tube. It's difficult for me to value it 'cos I can't remember what I paid for it but would accept £85:00 and I would bring it to Bath next time i'm working your way [within 2-3 weeks]. I can't compete with the cheap Chinese rods or the NGT but it's British built quality. If you are interested I can put it's sunglasses on and get it out of the loft and take some pictures for you AND/OR next time i'm Swindon/Bath/Bristol way we could meet for you to look [no obligation].
Regards
Bill W

Hi Richard,
I have a Harrison 4 piece travel rod that hasn't seen the light of day for more than a couple of years. It was built for me by Marc Barnett when he was co-owner of Mark II Angling in Crayford. Marc builds rods for The Tackle Box, Dartford since Angling Direct bought out Mark II. It's 11 ft. rated at 1lb 6oz TC [I believe], has a 24" cork handle with Fuji reel holder. It's fitted with Fuji two legged rings [guides] [not SIC]. It's only been on the bank about 3-4 times. It comes in a quality cloth bag and stout plastic [drainpipe] tube. It's difficult for me to value it 'cos I can't remember what I paid for it but would accept £85:00 and I would bring it to Bath next time i'm working your way [within 2-3 weeks]. I can't compete with the cheap Chinese rods or the NGT but it's British built quality. If you are interested I can put it's sunglasses on and get it out of the loft and take some pictures for you AND/OR next time i'm Swindon/Bath/Bristol way we could meet for you to look [no obligation].
Regards
Bill W
Fair play to you Bill - that's a belting offer. Richard has landed on his feet there..

Out of interest, are there any other brilliantly priced items of top class, surplus to requirements, tackle knocking about in that loft? :)

Bill - I will definitely take you up on that very kind offer and if the ride in good condition I’ll give you a bit more than £85. Let me know when you’re next down Bath way and we can arrange to meet. I am up in London fairly regularly if that’s easier?

Hi Richard,
If you are London way or anywhere in between let me know and if I can make a meet will be more than happy to. I travel the South of UK for work and that includes anywhere from Peterborough west to Haverford West down to Cornwall so can be reasonably flexible !! If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you over some pictures. If I can fathom out how to post pictures on here I'll give that a try as well !!
Regards
Bill

Fair play to you Bill - that's a belting offer. Richard has landed on his feet there..

Out of interest, are there any other brilliantly priced items of top class, surplus to requirements, tackle knocking about in that loft? :)

Where shall I start Joe...LOL my Missus say's I've too much tackle [fishing!!] and have to agree but don't tell her I said that :)

Hi Richard,
If you are London way or anywhere in between let me know and if I can make a meet will be more than happy to. I travel the South of UK for work and that includes anywhere from Peterborough west to Haverford West down to Cornwall so can be reasonably flexible !! If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you over some pictures. If I can fathom out how to post pictures on here I'll give that a try as well !!
Regards
Bill
PM sent.

Thanks Richard. PM replied and pictures sent. If you want anymore just shout !!!

Regards

Bill

It's a great rod, for that money. I had one built very recently by Dave Lumb and paid considerably more. I was under the impression that it's a 1lb 8oz test curve - not that it matters greatly. Lovely through action too - as an Avon should have.

Harrison Avon:
Two piece rated at 1lb 6oz
Four piece rated at 1lb 8oz (as said by Richard)

Bargain offered by Bill.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Fella’s and sorry Graham, must have missed that appeal ! :)
Richard has kindly offered to top up the asking price if he likes what he sees but having set my stall I have to honour my asking price....wish I had a couple more now i’ve Seen the potential interest...LOL

Joe - I think I bought some Boat rods for Pike fishing off you a couple of years ago. If so, they have been very well-used!

Joe - I think I bought some Boat rods for Pike fishing off you a couple of years ago. If so, they have been very well-used!

Yes you did, good rods although I mainly used them for stalking carp. I think you mentioned you’d just got a ticket for Chew for the forthcoming season, so i’m not surprised they’ve seen plenty of action!

What a rather splendid thread this turned out to be, for one 'outside' the remit but still interested in the eventual responses from the various participants. As far as I can make out there has been not one iota of 'I'm better than you', 'That's a load of rubbish' sort of comment/response from any; so refreshing and restorative of faith in human (anglers) nature!! I have a vague recollection of meeting you, Bill, some years ago when the ABF came into fruition and have previously enjoyed a lot of your contributions...... you 'others' on here who know me, I say 'Well Done' for your contributions, Mike

Back