• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tony Miles

I was on the Ribble chub fishing when I heard that Tony had passed away while fishing, I was truly shocked at hearing the news I just packed up and returned home. I’ve known Tony and his family for many years, rating him alongside Dick Walker, not only was he a great writer, speaker and angler he was a true gentleman one who had a heart of gold. When one of his employees was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, he immediately called me for advice in an effort to help the young lady with her condition. My thoughts today are with Fran and the family who I know will miss the husband, dad and granddad immensely. RIP Tony Miles you were the best.

What sad news. This is a huge loss to the barbel world. I'm sure Tony has greatly inspired many of us here, me included. Rest in Peace Tony.

Ba15d.1702.JPG

Regards,

Andy F

Another loss the to the angling world....

RIP Tony

Condolences to his family.

Brian

Very sad news indeed a very successful but grounded all round nice guy.

I can only echo everybody else's thoughts. So sad.

I can remember telephoning Tony about 10 years ago (not long after I'd moved here to Hinckley) to ask his advice as to whereabouts I should fish on the Ouse in order to improve on my (then) PB of 13.12 caught from The Kennet in 2001. He kindly suggested a couple of club venues (where he himself had netted several 15lb specimens) which I gratefully took up (although I only managed to match that 13.12 exactly with an Ouse equivalent in 2007!!) Obviously, his skill and knowledge left me me wanting considerably!

RIP Tony

Roger

As others have said, i too have never met Tony, but have read some of his writings which were very enjoyable. Very sad to hear this, and my thoughts and condolences to his Family and Friends.

Stephen

A great bloke and now along time Legend RIP Tony and my heartfelt commiserations to your family.

Shocked to hear this news about one of the true angling legends
I knew he hadn't been well.
Up there as one of my heroes and thoroughly nice bloke as well. The books he wrote as well as his articles he shared on here and in CAT we're always incisive and showed his unique approach and innovation and that's why he was one of the 1% that catches 99% of the fish.
RIP Tony, you will be greatly missed.

Back