• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thread size and type

Three minutes from river,don't have to work.
At least three thirteen plus barbel this season
And on top of all that a lovely wife Tina who looks after him like a good un.
Dull!!! your having a laf mate

Top Bloke Brian Ha, Ha

Well done Dave, it's great to see that you are paying some taxes for the goverment to spend.
Lots of love to Loraine, must go, the river is calling.
Brian.

Well Wils
It's time to get back on thread!!

As far as I am aware the standard bank stick thread is 3/8 BSW (British Standard Witworth) not BSF (British Standard Fine).

I of course stand to be corrected ;)

Last edited:
No need to confirm as the thread has been correctly identified ! But just to say that I'm surprised the thread hasn't been changed over the years to a metric one !? Just as an aside, does anyone know if they use a different thread on the continent ? Would be very surprised to find that they use a British Imperial Thread !?
Regards Paul M.

Cannot believe this thread got twisted.

Getting hold of a BSF tap set and a die set is not easy these days, I have a very ageing set handed down from my grandfather, and I am nearly 60. Use it regularly when making custom pods, tripods, net handles, banksticks and tops, plus lots of other things.
A very handy thing to have though, along with a workshop full of redundant Whitworth, BSP, and other BSF taps and dies,together with a lot of other engineering stuff not seen these days.

Dave.

Getting hold of a BSF tap set and a die set is not easy these days, I have a very ageing set handed down from my grandfather, and I am nearly 60. Use it regularly when making custom pods, tripods, net handles, banksticks and tops, plus lots of other things.
A very handy thing to have though, along with a workshop full of redundant Whitworth, BSP, and other BSF taps and dies,together with a lot of other engineering stuff not seen these days.

Dave.

No that hard Dave, surely? I retired three years ago, but was using BSF and BSW regularly while at work. I just googled 'BSF dies' and that came up with 11,400 hits, including ebay which alone had 19 adds for taps and dies in those threads :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Maybe I have been looking in the wrong place Dave, I usually get my 'supplies' from a local ironmongers, never really thought about googling for them, just checked the 'bay, and there are a few sets on there, luckily I dont need any at the moment, until I get too rough when cutting my next threads and snap a tap or die.

Dave

Back