• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thermometer

I've used one of these for the last 10yrs without problem....

Attachments

• tn_REUBENmom.jpg
    tn_REUBENmom.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 341
Loads out there nowadays John. Tubes, digital sensor type, probes and infra red.
I found a RH tube thermometer on the banks of the Avon 20 years ago which is still accurate, but I tend to use a digital type nowadays similar to Terry's.
There will always be debate on the accuracy of the " angling" thermometers, also worth looking on Koi sites for a bit more choice.:)

I have used the aquarium thermometer from maplins. I have used them for years never let me down. wrap a piece of lead solder around the probe at the end of the wire, it makes it easier to throw it into the river. They take normal AAA batteries.

Had mine several years but managed to snap the wire close to case. Very handy for keeping track on rising/falling temp. I put a small lead and clip on the other end.

I've put lead soldering wire around the probe on mine, so it sinks like a brick. If I can't easily reach the water I secure the probe head in the 'V' of an extending bank-stick (usually a 'swing-rest') to extend that reach.

ATBA

Thanks for all the advice. Apparently, there were problems with the Reuben Heaton sportscale being well out and they were all returned. However Reuben Heaton have now told me everything is fine but I'm having trouble finding anyone who's got new stock.

No need to worry about accuracy, so a cheapie will do fine. My fish pond was 9.2 c today, and the fish were 'avin it large.:)

I find the cheap digital aquarium thermometers do the job and are surprisingly accurate.This one from China has a 2m cable is 99p and free postage.;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252592683409

How they can do it for that price is beyond me but even if it gets lost in the post you haven't lost much.

Never used a thermometer and was wondering if measuring the edge of the river is sufficient, as opposed to perhaps the deeper area's if you know what i mean?:)

Thanks
Stephen

Never used a thermometer and was wondering if measuring the edge of the river is sufficient, as opposed to perhaps the deeper area's if you know what i mean?:)

Thanks
Stephen

For me I am not worried about accuracy, so the margins are fine, it really is more important that the trend is observed, ie a rising temperature from a cold river.
Of course a falling evening air temperature need not be a problem in that the water temperature could be just fine.

Been using the same one for over 50 years. It has 6 measurements. Boiling, hot, warm, cold, very cold and freezing. If that one doesn't work i stick the other finger in

Been using the same one for over 50 years. It has 6 measurements. Boiling, hot, warm, cold, very cold and freezing. If that one doesn't work i stick the other finger in

Iain, I suppose you could stick other things into the River if you wanted a bit more accuracy:)

If you're sitting by the river with a thermometer you might as well cast a bait in, regardless of the temperature showing. For the record, I don't use one, primarily for the reason that I can't always get out when conditions seem favourable and secondly because although records suggest barbel are rarely caught in certain conditions, there's always a chance.

Recently bought this one to replace my old one,

http://www.oldrailwaylinegc.co.uk/C...x-Min-In-Out-Thermometer-16045/5024160854421/

Only £9.99 has a clock as well, I agree with Richard Parsons if you are there on the river you might as well have a go. I measure water temps to try to spot a trend and out of interest. Was out Wednesday water 6C with a debris laden flood, not a touch. Out last evening, water 7C river level dropping, fished cheese paste expecting Chub but had a surprise 9-10 Barbel. As Richard rightly says "there's always a chance".

Back