• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thermometer

Nobody has ever scored a goal from row Z and similarly no-one has caught a fish on rod and line without a bait/hook in the water. Percentages, probabilities, likelihoods etc. may indicate a reduced chance of catching, but a bait dropped in the right place can produce the fish of a lifetime when least expected. Be the one holding the prize rather than the one wishing he/she had gone fishing that day. Alternatively, enjoy the 95%+ of our pastime that doesn't actually involve catching fish. :)

I guess if you're keen and restricted to certain days each week water temps will be nothing more than a psychological upper or downer, and perhaps a guide to what species will be having it on the day.
For those lucky enough to be able to pick and choose, a diary of previous outings listing conditions and results can be a real confidence booster,....but won't tell you if someone has previously dumped a kilo or two of bait in your favourite swim! :rolleyes:
I do use a thermometer on occasions but these days tend to rely on the online Hamp Avon gauge at Knapp Mill where temp trends are easily noted.

Bit of a change of subject (I'll justify it by saying my thermometer, one of the 99p ones recommended above, hasn't arrived yet, which is true) but, I was wondering which swims to target tomorrow and/or Friday...

So am I correct in assuming that in a sudden mild spell the cold water warms up fastest where it's had most contact with the air, e.g. after big weirs and long shallow stretches? But that fish will have probably been dormant in the deeper stretches recently and won't exactly dart straight back to the shallows .... and so the start of the deeps, just below the shallows, might be the place to target ?

Basically I have a swim or two in mind that my gut tells me should be the place to try and it does fit the above attempts at fish-behaviour-guessing. Massive weir, then the river narrows through about 300 yards of fast shallows, then my deeper steadier section, probably only 5 or 6 feet with a few deeper runs.

Any thoughts?

Below the woods Graham! Lobworms and garlic spam, I'd be very confident given the forecast.

Below the woods Graham! Lobworms and garlic spam, I'd be very confident given the forecast.

Oh yes ...my description above could also fit that stretch. I was thinking of a different river and a bigger weir .... but your suggestion would mean I could fish for a bit longer... so you've got me properly torn now ....thanks!

EDIT: your suggestion works out about £17 cheaper for me (travel & at the other place I'd need a day ticket). No-brainer when the finances are as bad as mine at the mo'!

That last ever tin of garlic spam has been waiting months for a day like tomorrow when it could just make the difference...

Nobody has ever scored a goal from row Z and similarly no-one has caught a fish on rod and line without a bait/hook in the water. Percentages, probabilities, likelihoods etc. may indicate a reduced chance of catching, but a bait dropped in the right place can produce the fish of a lifetime when least expected. Be the one holding the prize rather than the one wishing he/she had gone fishing that day. Alternatively, enjoy the 95%+ of our pastime that doesn't actually involve catching fish. :)

You miss my point Anthony. To take your humorous analogy to even sillier lengths, nobody has ever scored a goal from row Z simply because they know from experience that it is as near as makes no difference impossible to do so...so they don't bother trying :D

Similarly, if you had the time and dedication that Ray has to take the study of all aspects of barbel (including their various ailments brought about by habitat degradation, pollution etc., and taking those responsible for this to task) then you, like Ray, would have an understanding of these fish that is virtually on another level. 'Tis true, you can't catch a barbel if you don't have a bait in the water. However, there is more to life than catching barbel, and I for one would accept Ray's advice about timing, and go pike fishing instead. Or in his case, use the time to give hell to someone who is causing harm to his beloved rivers.

Cheers, Dave.

First chance I've had to really look at Ray's graph properly and I'm blown away by how useful it is - especially if it's 'typical' (or even archetypical) of the other years that he kept these wonderful records.

It goes some way to answering a number of questions for a relative beginner which (with no disrespect to any contributors!) have often been answered (when I've asked them on another forum) with "well I've caught them in all temperatures and you never know, if you haven't got a ticket you won't win the lottery" - yes, obviously, I'm not daft, I know there's always a chance, but I have limited access to decent rivers, I'm not a very skilled angler, and I'd rather catch one barbel in a session than 40 grayling, but I do like to target other species and I'd rather catch 100 grayling in 3 sessions than have 3 barbel blanks if you see what i mean .... so I really would like to know in what winter conditions I have a better chance of barbel.

THANKS FOR SHARING RAY - BRILLIANT!

Still waiting for me first thermometer to arrive ....

I am reasonably sure that Ray has not made a graph suggesting the likely time it will take to get a thermometer in winter Graham :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Oh well...one more bit...In winter conditions (which there are many variables and combination factors, Inc. Cold or Mild, water colour and level etc), the sudden rise in water temp can have a similar effect as to when it drops. After a cold snap, you have to be out there fishing at the particular temp switch on point. If the temp then carries on rising, then the barbel have to acclimatise back up...which takes time and they can/will switch off again until that happens. You can and will blank even when you think the temp and conditions seem and feel right. You can only find that out by being out there and experience, whether by logging (or memorising) temp blanks and catch temps and then sussing it out. Each winter month can have a different switch on point which generally lowers the further you go into winter, and depending on how low the water temp has fallen and which temp the barbel has acclimatised too. However I did find that the odd identified barbel were more tolerable to the cold conditions than the majority, and they were not necessarily the big ones.

Oh well...one more bit...In winter conditions (which there are many variables and combination factors, Inc. Cold or Mild, water colour and level etc), the sudden rise in water temp can have a similar effect as to when it drops. After a cold snap, you have to be out there fishing at the particular temp switch on point. If the temp then carries on rising, then the barbel have to acclimatise back up...which takes time and they can/will switch off again until that happens. You can and will blank even when you think the temp and conditions seem and feel right. You can only find that out by being out there and experience, whether by logging (or memorising) temp blanks and catch temps and then sussing it out. Each winter month can have a different switch on point which generally lowers the further you go into winter, and depending on how low the water temp has fallen and which temp the barbel has acclimatised too. However I did find that the odd identified barbel were more tolerable to the cold conditions than the majority, and they were not necessarily the big ones.

Really useful & fascinating - thanks again Ray.

Fascinating I must say. Thanks for taking the time to explain and to provide some examples Ray.

It got me thinking that if the information such as temps, water levels etc were put into an excel you could tab the columns to see what the various measures were when you did catch. It would allow you to really analyse the data quickly and at a glance.

Just a thought, but I work in marketing and it's exactly the same principle for analysing data to see trends. Very logical indeed, you don't happen to be a whizz at Suduko as well do you Ray? ☺

Really interesting information Ray regarding barbel acclimatising to a rise in temperature. It's funny how many times I have gone out when there is a mild spell thinking conditions are perfect, and I am brimming with confidence only to blank!
On the plus side I always seem to learn something whether I catch or blank.

yep,i agree with you on that one ray,they don,t like big changes up or down, a steady temp, even close to ,or freezing ,with perhaps just a one or two degree rise generally does the trick,
regards

Never used a thermometer for fishing as i tend to go when the opportunity arises, but i remember hearing about an "infra-red" thermometer and wondered if anyone else has heard this or tried one? I may also be imagining this but thought i would ask:)

Stephen

Don't think they would work for angling as they would only take the temperature at the surface . I have seen them used in motor sport [ drag racing ] when crew members point them at tyres on the race vehicle to see if they are up to temperature prior to a run .

I can just picture it now, little Jonny to his mum, " i can't go to school today ive got a temperature ", mum, "now where did i put my laser thermometer" :D

Back