• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Windsor Barbel Catchers?

Stephen Bond

Growing up in Maidenhead I caught my first barbel one night on the Thames about 28 years ago! I decided last season to return to my roots and see if I could catch another barbel or two after my extended hiatus.

It wasn't too long before I ran across the "Windsor Barbel Catchers" online. For the uninitiated, Windsor is the next town downstream of Maidenhead and with it forms a "royal borough". So, a local barbel catching group, excellent! However, a Google search revealed no website or formal info. That said, is became clear the group is organised with its own regalia and apparel and several members to pledge allegiance.

So, having received the blessing from their founding father I have finally got round to starting this thread to hopefully answer a few questions and glean some history regarding the group.

What was the impetus for starting the group?

How did the group grow?

How many members does the group now have?

What are the objectives of the WBCs?

Any anecdotes you can share?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

As far as I am aware you need an extensive growth of facial hair, and the ability to catch upper double barbel on a centerpin reel to become a member.

Best avoided I think Stephen....bunch of reprobates as far as I can make out.

:p

Cheers, Dave.

All I can say is having fished with them on numerous occasions is that they're a jammy bunch!

Every time I fished with one of them at least one of them managed to luck a good fish!

Oh and their name is a bit of a fraud too, they catch carp, perch, grayling, zander and pike to name a few. In fact the only species I've never heard of them going after is eels!

:p:p:p

As far as I am aware you need an extensive growth of facial hair, and the ability to catch upper double barbel on a centerpin reel to become a member.

Best avoided I think Stephen....bunch of reprobates as far as I can make out.

:p

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, call me lacking in scruples but I am quite happy to grow more facial hair and use the pin if it allows me to catch an upper double :D

Stephen

All I can say is having fished with them on numerous occasions is that they're a jammy bunch!

Every time I fished with one of them at least one of them managed to luck a good fish!

Oh and their name is a bit of a fraud too, they catch carp, perch, grayling, zander and pike to name a few. In fact the only species I've never heard of them going after is eels!

:p:p:p

Did any of that luck rub off?

I was confused by the name too. Some members clearly neither live or fish in Windsor :D

Did any of that luck rub off?

I was confused by the name too. Some members clearly neither live or fish in Windsor :D

Definitely!

Had my pb carp and grayling while fishing with them!!

Not to mention getting drowned in France and suffering waves as big as the north sea at Grafham!

Last edited:
Definitely!

Had my pb carp and grayling while fishing with them!!

Not to mention getting drowned in France and suffering waves as big as the north sea at Grafham!

A wave as big as the north sea...that is one BIG wave :eek:....AND they got you drowned....I just KNEW you couldn't trust that lot .

Cheers, Dave

A wave as big as the north sea...that is one BIG wave :eek:....AND they got you drowned....I just KNEW you couldn't trust that lot .

Cheers, Dave

Believe me it was like a scene from deadliest catch, and yet one of the jammy wbc guys still managed to catch.

Best bit for me was hearing my mate Paul Garner whinge the whole day, I still chuckle at that (sorry Paul). :D

They're all gay, WBC used to stand for Windsor Bum Chums and then that Lawbloke went and got a girlie pregnant by mistake but they are all still really, really nice blokes who just love to cuddle, I feel soooo at home when I meet them :eek:

They're all gay, WBC used to stand for Windsor Bum Chums and then that Lawbloke went and got a girlie pregnant by mistake but they are all still really, really nice blokes who just love to cuddle, I feel soooo at home when I meet them :eek:

Ha Ha! Love it Crooky :D

Stephen, you will need loads of hemp and even more patience to temp even the smallest of them out from under cover :)

Last edited:
Slips out from the snag has a quick look at the bait and wafts back under the snag!!;)

There ya go...see that? One of the big whiskered blighter's just popped out, took a quick look, then ducked under cover again. A LOT more hemp needed methinks :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back