• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The next barbel river record

Next UK barbel record river?

• Total voters
Another angle, would a record fish from rivers like the Severn, BA or Wye, all non natural barbel rivers, be held in less regard than a fish from say the Thames, Kennet or Trent? Or is it just what it is, the largest of a species regardless of where caught. I suppose you could include Stillwater fish as well.

Difficult to see it getting beat at all really, but the Thames would be the best bet. Big river with a large crayfish population for big fish to eat.

There's a good chance it's already been caught, with the angler choosing not to publicise - at least, some on here would keep it to themselves so why not. Further, I wouldn't think only the big rivers are in the frame; big known fish in smaller rivers get targeted, eat well and put on a lot of weight quickly. After all it didn't take long for those Gt Ouse fish to move from the 14lb bracket to record breakers.

I voted for the Thames but don't see why a smaller river with a small clique of anglers and a captive market to their baits wouldn't throw one up!

Looking at the river records on here - only 6 rivers have produced fish over 19lbs (most are smallish rivers) and none recently. There may have been others that folk are keeping quiet, I am not in the know about these, so you can only go on the available data. So, never say never but i think we are talking Leicester City championship odds at least of this happening and i would not put money on it - wonder what odds a bookie would give?

Here is some interesting reading on the growth rates of Barbel ? It appears the cleaner the river ? The higher the growth rate will be ?

http://www.thebarbelsociety.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/BF33PeteReading.pdf

I'd have thought average water temp had more to do with it Joe. I notice that there's much more variation in the age : length ratio in the Teme fish than those from the other 2 rivers. Maybe that's because some/many of the Teme fish caught were 'migratory visitors' from the Severn...especially if they were taken from the lower reaches?

The next barbel record will come from a smaller river.The present record and probably last 10 records all came from a small river.For a Barbel to reach record proportions it needs to be artificially fed bigger and big rivers are not conducive to the conditions needed.Sorry but that's a fact of specimen angling today.

For me the deeper larger rivers I think will produce it.....like the Severn thames or trent. I just believe that there are some clonkers lurking there that have yet to be caught.

That theory doesn't reallystack up, all National Records come from smaller rivers that have intensive feeding from the Carpbellers.

Hi men ,

Hmmmmm , except a few of the upper Ouse barbel were caught big before lots of bait went in . If you listen to some of the early barbel anglers on the MK stretches , they never even knew double figure fish were there in the numbers that came out . I sat fishing with Peter Frost one evening for crucian carp , and he told me of a place that was empty most afternoons ( our limited available time ), where if me and Sue fished how we normally do , we could end up with fish to around 13lb , Adams mill . Without doubt pellets helped these oil tankers , but it was a perfect storm , very little flow , crays , and quality bait / pellet, but they were big before the bait really made a difference .

As Iv said , I voted Thames because the limited flow in some areas , could lead to a big fish , but the Nene could produce a big fish this winter .

Hatter

That theory doesn't reallystack up, all National Records come from smaller rivers that have intensive feeding from the Carpbellers.

Very true Neil.Tony Miles mentioned in his book elite barbel such a scenario at Adams mill.How intensive fishing with HNV baits ballooned the already swollen fish,and kept them in a relatively small section of river.Towards the end the record fish Traveller should have been renamed Resident

I voted for the Thames. I have witnessed a Barbel of over eighteen pounds from it, this fish was a really large framed beast living on a natural diet and not anglers bait. The Thames is a daunting venue and the fish can move for miles without ever coming into contact with an anglers bait. Its a river full of food ranging from signal crayfish and shrimps that came over from the States during WWII. The signals are moving downstream to the lower reaches, this would be my bet for a monster. Rumors of mud pig anglers catching big Barbel have been around for ages. The Thames is also producing some monster chub to well over eight pounds. I don't think the record will go any time soon but i for one will be trying to catch it.

I voted for the Thames. I have witnessed a Barbel of over eighteen pounds from it, this fish was a really large framed beast living on a natural diet and not anglers bait. The Thames is a daunting venue and the fish can move for miles without ever coming into contact with an anglers bait. Its a river full of food ranging from signal crayfish and shrimps that came over from the States during WWII. The signals are moving downstream to the lower reaches, this would be my bet for a monster. Rumors of mud pig anglers catching big Barbel have been around for ages. The Thames is also producing some monster chub to well over eight pounds. I don't think the record will go any time soon but i for one will be trying to catch it.

Great post Paul.

I don't think it will be broken anytime soon and agree completely about the Thames, however we've seen with the Lodden, Ivel, Wensum etc.. that a small stretch of a smaller river can hold a number of big fish that can grow on to record proportions. Currently I'd say a big fish from the Nene could shake the record this winter and I wouldn't count out the Arun in the future.

Paul,is it true the lower reaches of the Thames are swarming with Chinese mitten crabs.If true what would happen if they meet up with Ronnie and Reggie?

Mark, i have never fished that far down, Maidenhead is the lowest. There are all manner of things swimming in the Thames, terrapins, exotic fish ( pet shop went bust and all the fish went into the river) and wels catfish, some are pretty big. I have no idea how crabs and crays would co habit but more food for otters and wel catfish i would imagine.

Back