• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The need to apportion blame

Crooky

Please don't shoot the messenger. If Paul hadn't found the site we may never have seen how some factions within angling need someone or something to blame.
Sadly it runs throughout our sport.

Mike

Hi men ,

Funny really , the match forums may have our site posted up on theirs for slagging off the highly stocked match style lakes in another thread. All shooting ourself in the foot :p.

Hatter

The Chairman on Wednesday

Subject: Shooting oneself in the collective foot

Whilst the real, only and lasting show - the one to be found here in the timeless Hamsters and a few other, well-defended, inaccessible spots - not merely looks on but discreetly, actively encourages it (all the foot-popping, the impotent breeze-shooting, the hysterical argy-bargy...): allows us to ride Barbel Blips and other such noisome, here today - gone tomorrow populist movements and get on with business as usual - i.e. running you lot.

As ever,

Bertram (Call me "Bert") Beecham, Chairman

"The Beauchamps - Experts in Freedom, Our Own, That Is, Not Yours - since 1066"

Tied by my own foul hand and available at a very reasonable five Guineas each...

wp81d6ce18.png

Off topic slightly, but on the link supplied by Paul, a forum contributor states "It should be noted that all EA barbel stocking in England, after pollution incidents etc., are all of sterile hatchery reared fish."

Out of interest, is this actually true?

I doubt it very much, for we barbel-fishers have never been told the same by any EA or fishery bod (to my knowledge). Besides, what were the almost-certain progeny of a certain stocking doing spawning in a river I know several weeks ago? For that matter, is anyone on the forum concerned fully sane - they (the members) vote to give give me a bottle of best, select Scotch (drunk by my old Ma) at Christmas several years ago for being Master Poster of The Year (for my sense, knowledge and helpfulness), then suddenly boot me out a bit later when I wasn't wholly engaged with their ideas on the need for riverkeepers, for private waters and for the control of coarse fish and probably anybody who likes or fishes for them...

That's good to know Paul (the bit about stocked fish spawning - not you being slung off some forum!)..

I'd guess that most of the Barbel remaining in the Bedfordshire Ouse 'above Bedford' are stocked fish, assuming a reasonable proportion of the fish released in the last 5yrs are still alive.. It would all be a bit (more) pointless if they were sterile..

Fish and fishing are far more important than mere, politically and financially inspired Internut bans, Declan.

i was looking at the river usk at usk some years ago in a mild flood, my god good i said, you would need a tank to hold bottom.

I can confirm that Calverton Roads little barbel are certainly not sterile. What on earth would the point of that be?..... it seems some people only have to say something in order to think it is true!

As long as they keep thinking and writing that, perhaps it gives them some comfort that barbel will die out naturally!!!

Back