• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The most selfish thing I’ve ever seen in angling

Mr Taylors actions do show a distinct lack of etiquette .His activities are , in my view a symptom of how challenging it must be to make a living out of angling . People who do this for a crust must find it increasingly difficult to put a new angle[sic] on there fishing activities . You put yourself up as a professional who catches all the time and sells your angling prowess to people ,either as a guide or someone who sells videos of how to catch lots of fish ,preferably big ones , the strain to be seen as publicly successful all the time must be considerable . I am not sympathetic to Des Taylor , he doesn't have to do it ,and personally don't like his style but imagine having to wake up every day and go out to catch fish at all costs ? Not my idea of fun ....

I get what your saying Mike … but Collingham weir!!!! Really…. My 2 year old granddaughter could catch a barbel from where he’s fishing

I’ve been there when boats go up in the weir and it pisses you off there’s a sign there for a reason a lot of soldiers died in that weir in a boating accident
Some people have waited 2 years to fish that weir and paid a lot of money and it’s not because it’s des Taylor I would have the same opinion of anyone doing it
Saying that if he thinks he’s a good enough angler to make a living out of it why does he need to fish Collingham weir ..he’ll be on the Lea at marford next week wading up the river to get to swim 12

Des Taylor ooh and aaaagh. Wasn't he the one who said it was ok to fish for Barbel in plus 40c?. Ironically he caught heat stroke as well shortly after. With him posting that from a Facebook page well into the10s of thousands, I wonder how many will want to fish that island now... and risk there lives too.
Its under water now...

Fair point Terry ,but as I say as a pro angler you have to succeed or be seen to succeed, hence what appear to be pretty extreme tactics on Mr Taylors part .Doesn't excuse his poor etiquette though , hardly the actions of a chap who purports to be the common mans all round angler !

Dare I use the words carp circles but is this 'catch at all costs' spreading to the barbel world at a rate of knots?

They were roping off swims over 20yrs ago on Linear (and other complexes) a week before being fished, together with extensive pre-baiting to ensure the 'names' caught the requisite number of 'whackers' for whatever dull article they were scribing for . . . the paying public always just had to suck it up!

This feels very similar and a sign of the times . . . .personally I'd get my spod rod out and bombard the island with nbutryic laced munga so that the resident seagulls swans and otters turned into ravenous man-eaters . . .

Mr Taylors actions do show a distinct lack of etiquette .His activities are , in my view a symptom of how challenging it must be to make a living out of angling . People who do this for a crust must find it increasingly difficult to put a new angle[sic] on there fishing activities . You put yourself up as a professional who catches all the time and sells your angling prowess to people ,either as a guide or someone who sells videos of how to catch lots of fish ,preferably big ones , the strain to be seen as publicly successful all the time must be considerable . I am not sympathetic to Des Taylor , he doesn't have to do it ,and personally don't like his style but imagine having to wake up every day and go out to catch fish at all costs ? Not my idea of fun ....
Well summed up. My thoughts precisely. Also, no big deal catching fish from there. It has to be the most notorious and easiest swim on the planet.

I have a lot more respect for catches from the remote areas of the tidal.

Would you really need more than one rod to fish that swim from the island? Would have thought 2 rods was a hindrance in such a prolific swim.

Would you really need more than one rod to fish that swim from the island? Would have thought 2 rods was a hindrance in such a prolific swim.
I don’t reckon you could keep up with it joe without endangering fish last time I was there I packed away one rod from swim 2 … the pic is from the super tough Collingham weir

Attachments

• 50F38266-35E6-4533-AE27-56414B26967F.jpeg
    50F38266-35E6-4533-AE27-56414B26967F.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 292
Des Taylor ooh and aaaagh. Wasn't he the one who said it was ok to fish for Barbel in plus 40c?. Ironically he caught heat stroke as well shortly after. With him posting that from a Facebook page well into the10s of thousands, I wonder how many will want to fish that island now... and risk there lives too.
Its under water now...
I read some of that FB page. I'm afraid I can't see Des changing his ways. I remember him in the Anging Times when I started fishing. He hasn't really changed, he must be 100 at least. I like his u-tube videos. Some good content there.

Maybe his actions are dictated by the need to catch. As a pro angler, as already pointed out on this thread. I believe him using a keepnet is for 10, 15 minutes for recovery. Sounds plausible, not for me though. More stuff to lugg around.
Let's hope the heatstroke taught him a lesson!

Back