• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The most selfish thing I’ve ever seen in angling

Terry Harman

Senior Member & Supporter
It’s just not cricket

Attachments

• C0FFDEF9-5A89-46DF-B732-80AB1DF6B6FA.jpeg
    C0FFDEF9-5A89-46DF-B732-80AB1DF6B6FA.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 747
I saw the picture when it was originally published on the Ashfield Angling site. It's not the first time someone has moored up on the island this season, however I'm surprised someone with such a high profile would do it.
Be interesting to see if anyone raises it on his show on Friday night.

I saw the picture when it was originally published on the Ashfield Angling site. It's not the first time someone has moored up on the island this season, however I'm surprised someone with such a high profile would do it.
Be interesting to see if anyone raises it on his show on Friday night.
It’s past the point of the sign that reads no boats beyond this point …could also ring the coastguard and tell them someone is stranded in the middle of the river

He's far enough away to not be affecting the fishing from those on 1a down though really. Not something i'd do, admittedly, but not the most selfish thing i have seen in angling by a long stretch.

He's far enough away to not be affecting the fishing from those on 1a down though really. Not something i'd do, admittedly, but not the most selfish thing i have seen in angling by a long stretch.
Just because him being there isn’t effecting your ability to cast away from him, doesn’t mean that a stunt like that isn’t on the very very top end of pure arrogance.

I mean who does that??? What a pillock!!!
Jumps in a boat, sails out and perches himself just yards away from the most prolific weir pool in the uk…….. right infront of anglers that have both waited and paid for a day at Collingham weir.

I agree with the thread title entirely… one of the most selfish arrogant things that I’ve seen from an angler in a while.

Use to fish on that island in the 80s before the barbel boom and the signs where put up to stop boats fishing in the weir.
All chub and bream then and hardly anybody fished peg 1

A total lack of etiquette. I've seen it displayed before on the Lower Severn, anglers chasing a big fish drop in yards below an angler who is already fishing. It's very annoying. I can't say I'm the least bit surprised by this example.

Just because him being there isn’t effecting your ability to cast away from him, doesn’t mean that a stunt like that isn’t on the very very top end of pure arrogance.

I mean who does that??? What a pillock!!!
Jumps in a boat, sails out and perches himself just yards away from the most prolific weir pool in the uk…….. right infront of anglers that have both waited and paid for a day at Collingham weir.

I agree with the thread title entirely… one of the most selfish arrogant things that I’ve seen from an angler in a while.
Ah, now arrogance, yes. Completely.

I suppose my point is, people fish there weekly, often in greater numbers from boats, all season round, yet it is what it is. Though as soon as he gets out his boat, it's something to shout about. I agree, morally wrong and arrogant, and someone of his 'stature' as an ambassador, should probably think these things through. If he is to be held to account, then everyone else should be too.

From a fishing perspective, he is breaking no bylaws etc with it being a tidal river. The only issue being an EA/CRT one being past the no boating sign. Give them some ammo, and they might crack down on it.

To be honest, it's not unusual on the Trent for boat anglers to totally ignore fishing rights and warnings from the CRT, even with huge notice signs.

On a stretch I know we have had the Chairman of a major Angling Club, and the baliffs of other Waters, poach the water.

Fortunately, some serious action is being taken and a number of repeat offenders have been prosecuted and fined.

With huge signs regarding No boat access and No Fishing along with heavy reporting by club members and baliffs, plus Police and CRT support things are slowly improving.

Just be be clear, it is a criminal offence.

Back