• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Moon...

I brought one of those charty things a few years ago, when I was a full time barbeler.

But rather than fish when the chart said it was good or excellent, I simply went fishing when I could/wanted to.

I then checked the chart after fishing to compare my results to the charts predictions......

The conclusion was.....

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

totally inconclusive.

I caught on good, bad and indifferent days, but I also struggled on good, bad and indifferent days.

Don't get me wrong, the moon has a massive influence on water, so there must be something in it, but as others have said, there are so many more important things.

The problem it, most who subscribe to the moon theory only go on good or very good days... and they then think its proof when they catch...
Problem is, they cant catch on 'bad' days as they don't bother going fishing......

Just go fishing... except that sometimes we blank.....

It would be called 'catching' not 'fishing', if we caught every time.

Steve

I brought one of those charty things a few years ago, when I was a full time barbeler.

But rather than fish when the chart said it was good or excellent, I simply went fishing when I could/wanted to.

I then checked the chart after fishing to compare my results to the charts predictions......

The conclusion was.....

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

totally inconclusive.

I caught on good, bad and indifferent days, but I also struggled on good, bad and indifferent days.

Don't get me wrong, the moon has a massive influence on water, so there must be something in it, but as others have said, there are so many more important things.

The problem it, most who subscribe to the moon theory only go on good or very good days... and they then think its proof when they catch...
Problem is, they cant catch on 'bad' days as they don't bother going fishing......

Just go fishing... except that sometimes we blank.....

It would be called 'catching' not 'fishing', if we caught every time.

Steve
Totally agree, I use the chart purely to compare my results against and would say I have also reached no hard and fast conclusion. It is a very interesting subject and one Chris Lyons has done a lot of research into and cannot be dismissed lightly. I have found very heavy dew to be poor conditions but have caught good fish in moderate dew.

A trend I have noticed is nights that are positive on the chart tend to see more fish rolling etc and it occurred to me that moon position/time may affect movement of fish i.e. how willing they are to go foraging. Fish may be caught if a bait is near enough on "grim" days but is it possible that on "good" & "excellent" days they are more actively seeking food?. I caught my pb on a dampish (dew, not rain), slightly misty, windless night and it was the only evidence of any fish of any species I saw that night. It was a night categorised as good on Chris's chart. Truly a fascinating subject but there's a lot to more to learn if, as Steve suggests, we fish when convenient and refer to the chart afterwards otherwise it could all become a self fullfilling prophecy.

Last edited:
Back