• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Moon...

Andreas Opitz

Hi,

I've been reading up a little as to how different periods within the moons cycle (tides, water pressure etc) can have an effect on fish feeding patterns and I just wondered if anyone has incorporated this idea into their fishing trips?

Logically, it does seem to make sense. However, I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks and if anyone has incorporated the theory into practice with positive results?

Also, if anyone can also offer advice on the best times to go that would be much appreciated i.e. waning moon, waxing moon, full moon.

Would be great to be able to plan trips better in future if this is the case.

I know that a big full moon is not supposed to be any good when carping however i never found that to be the case. On deep waters especially i always had good results on a full moon and i never let moon cycles bother me. At the end of the day if we worried about moon cycles, air pressure etc we could always find a reason for not going fishing and you cant catch em sat infront of the telly or PC.

I agree with Jeremy there mate.
Although i have noticed one thing, it only seems to come out in the evening!!, any one else noticed this?

Interesting, but...have to say on the Loddon which I have fished in full moons , waxing and waning on many occasions I have never had much luck and talking to others this seems to be the case when the lower fields are lit up to the point where a head torch is not needed.

Having said that 2 seasons ago I came across a FAS member who will remain unnamed and had 3 doubles in as many hours on a full moon evening using a very simple set up and a very traditional bait, which proved that this is never going to be an exact science. He went home ecstatic and convinced there could not be a better time to fish.

YMMV

JG.

Hi,

I've been reading up a little as to how different periods within the moons cycle (tides, water pressure etc) can have an effect on fish feeding patterns and I just wondered if anyone has incorporated this idea into their fishing trips?

Logically, it does seem to make sense. However, I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks and if anyone has incorporated the theory into practice with positive results?

Also, if anyone can also offer advice on the best times to go that would be much appreciated i.e. waning moon, waxing moon, full moon.

Would be great to be able to plan trips better in future if this is the case.

When my local (non-tidal) haunt was full of barbel a few years ago and I was catching well, I looked into this and kept records of catches against moon=phases/timings etc. Also incorporating same info from trips to other rivers

My conclusion:

Load of borrocks. :D :cool:

Other factors seem to be far more noteworthy than moonphase, air pressure/ temperature trend, fallng and river state. My ideal would be low pressure, rising temperature, rising river, certainly in autumn/winter, in summer, rising river would be dream time, not likely at the moment!!!!!!!
peter

Other factors seem to be far more noteworthy than moonphase, air pressure/ temperature trend, fallng and river state. My ideal would be low pressure, rising temperature, rising river, certainly in autumn/winter, in summer, rising river would be dream time, not likely at the moment!!!!!!!
peter

Absolutely. I would also say that in clear conditions, if you can "see" barbel, you can get them to feed (on particles) at any time. Then it's just a battle of fish versus rig.

A chap I know had a 17 (yes, 17) fish haul one day last week. Mostly good singles with several 13's, a 14 and a good 6+lb chub as a bonus.

Damn fine coff...., sorry, angling.

Moon-phases, schmoon-phases.

Location, patience and bait application.

I wrote a couple of bits a few years ago. Contentious area this but one has to keep an open mind. I have had a few concrete experiences with moon phase whilst being a bailiff in France 5 years ago. Working there 24/7 for 7 months I saw some striking patterns. Not going to expand on the link any further & for me I still am partial to a bit of lunacy from time to time.

See http://barbelfishingworld.yuku.com/topic/9749/t/Moon-Phases.html?page=1

Cheers, Jon

Thanks everyone. Interesting and I couldn't agree more with the point "if we worried about moon cycles, air pressure etc we could always find a reason for not going fishing". Part of the reason I go fishing is the challenge, to gain knowledge/experience and most importantly getting out and enjoying the nature around me whilst doing something I enjoy.

BUT the reason I posted was in the hope that there might be a case for the supposed theory, and if there was evidence and experiences to support it, then it would be another tool 'in my bag' so to speak.

Another reason I posted was because I remember an ex girlfriend who was a Radiographer who worked in a hospital A&E department and she once said to me that it was well known amongst the hospital workers that on full moons they admitted almost double the amount of emergency cases to the department (and some pretty freaky cases which I won't go into now). I also checked this out with a Policeman I know and he agreed the same happened in their line of work. Knowing this, I assumed that human beings predominantly consist of water and therefore the change in tides/air pressure surely must effect us (be it balance/pressure etc etc)...leading me onto...maybe it effects fish?

I appreciate it may be a far reached assumption but I think there's pssibly some logic within the theory.

One things for sure though...full moon, half moon or no moon whatsoever...it isn't going to stop me going fishing! :)

Thanks particularly to Alan and Jon. Just had a quick look into the links you provided and although initially it all seems a bit of a science, they look useful. Cheers :)

Chris Lyons has done a lot of research on this, as have many others, but Chris was, to my knowledge, the first to write about it. I have always kept an eye on moon phases and have had a fair few blanks on days forecast as "excellent" with "good" days being by far the most productive. Of course, a lot depends on many other factors being in place as well and "grim" days appear to vary between not bad and poor. I would certainly not refrain from fishing because of a moon phase and the most notable occurrence I have found from Chris's findings is that heavy dew is not conductive to good sport. Some dew doesn't appear to kill it but a heavy dew always seems unproductive, for barbel at least.
It is a very interesting subject to follow and those who observe it for their time spent on the bank do seem to benefit, either because it's fact or from the confidence it gives them.

Hi Alex,

Actually, I did read Chris's website after being provided a link on BW and personally I found it intriguing. I noticed he offers a Peak Times chart for a fiver. Have you used it? It's only a fiver so I'll probably get it however I thought I'd check with you first.

Hi Alex,

Actually, I did read Chris's website after being provided a link on BW and personally I found it intriguing. I noticed he offers a Peak Times chart for a fiver. Have you used it? It's only a fiver so I'll probably get it however I thought I'd check with you first.
Hi Andreas
I did have one once but the moon phases are available on most calenders but if you are interested in following Chris's theories then a fiver is nothing really. I thought about getting one this year and will probably still do so once I get round to it. They run for 12 months from when you order

i must admit to being totally baffled by it all , but ...........

there are far too many people who have looked into it and got their heads round it for it to be disregarded totally:cool:

im not saying it is the be all and end all , far from , as others have said you need to take other contributing factors , but if you can stack any odds in your favour when time is at a premium ??

the ribble barbel police have been reinstated , back in business and on the case :D
all leave has been cancelled , can all officers report for duty :D:D

the ribble barbel police have been reinstated , back in business and on the case :D
all leave has been cancelled , can all officers report for duty :D:D

Just wondered if the forensic team is still suspended after the homepage pic incident?? :D:D

During my training days on the Trent i used to follow Archie Braddocks Dairy's on the internet. He put a lot of effort into studying moon phases and in particular the peak feeding times on any particular phase. He was certainly convinced there was something in it after many years of study, and thats the key to anyone looking into it for the first time - it will take a long time to gain enough data to be able to arrive at a resonable conclusion.

For me it is the feeding times on that particular day that proove more usefull than whether it happens to be a good phase or not. If, for example, on your chosen fishing day every other factor is against you ( bad conditions ) but you know that there is a chance they will feed at X O'clock it gives you that extra bit of confidence to give it a go.

It is also worth noting that both the moon and sun's rise and set times will vary slightly depending on your location so if you are looking to buy charts try and get ones that are specific to your location. We are lucky at Ribble HQ to have an informer who supplies us with charts for Preston! :cool:

Right I've ordered Chris Lyons's Peak Time calendar...but after everyone mentioning it takes a lot of time to reap the benefits, well, I'm starting feel like it's going to be a mission to the moon rather than merely learning its effects! I probably won't even come to much of a conclusion until I'm too old to hold a rod!

Oh, whilst I'm here, it's been interesting to read everyones comments so cheers :)

Right I've ordered Chris Lyons's Peak Time calendar...but after everyone mentioning it takes a lot of time to reap the benefits, well, I'm starting feel like it's going to be a mission to the moon rather than merely learning its effects! I probably won't even come to much of a conclusion until I'm too old to hold a rod!

Oh, whilst I'm here, it's been interesting to read everyones comments so cheers :)

Chris's charts are easy to follow Andreas and all you really need to do is keep a fishing diary. These can be very useful irrespective of moon phases anyway and when I used to make the effort it was possible to see patterns emerging.

From my carp fishing days through to my limited barbel fishing (2nd season barbel fishing)I ve seemed to struggle to get takes on a bright moonlit night .No real science there but just a feeling its harder to get the fish to feed confidently.Theres deffinately no shortage of bat bites on these evening though! Keeps me alert and hopefull if nothing else .

Back