• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Merits Of Braid For Mainline?

My 500m of Spectra 30lb braid arrived from Hong Kong this morning after 12 days. It certainly looks good value at £10.50. Will try it on the reels before too long.

Stephen

Well I have tried it for the last few sessions and here's what I have found so far!

1. Stretch.
I thought the difference between stretchy mono and non stretchy braid would be more pronounced in the feel department for both bites and playing fish. I've found it not hugely different, certainly not night and day.

2. Strength.
On a particular swim on the lower I found a snag again during my first session out. I have lost numerous feeders and the like in this swim as have other who fish it. Anyhow, I pulled for a break with the 30lb braid (25lb coated braid hook length) and was happy to get my end tackle back. On closer inspection, the size 8 E.S.P. Raptor T-6 had opened up!

3. Noise.
Sure, I am using my Honk Kong "4 core", not 8 core braid and neither "Super Slick" but from what I have read online, braid is noisy through the rings whatever one uses compared with mono. Certainly mono is more pleasant to use in this respect. The general consensus is Daiwa Shinobi braid is the quietest, significantly more so than Super Slick so I might try Shinobi before too long unless anyone has any horror stories?

4. Diameter.
I am casting longer distances with ease. I have just changed my reels so it is difficult to ascertain if the braid is the major factor. Drag wise, I am yet to encounter the heavy flows as summer has actually been itself for a while! Neither have I visited a heavily weeded Bedfordshire river to test its weed cutting properties yet.

So all in all, braid is working out well but I wasn't unhappy with mono either. Maybe Super Slick or Shinobi would really close the deal?

Stephen

Back