• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Merits Of Braid For Mainline?

Stephen Bond

Hello BFWers,
I have been toying with the idea of trying Power Pro for my mainline this season. The reduced drag (and corresponding lead size), increased casting distance and bite detection sensitivity look alluring.

Just been reading here about some of the pros and cons.

Anyone noticed and increase in hook pulls using braid for mainline?
Also, ring wear?

Secondly, reading old posts on BFW it seems most people here go for 30lb?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

I made the switch from mono to braid 2 seasons ago and have never looked back

I use Berkley Whiplash Camo currently, and used the moss green version before that, both in 30lb 0.10mm diameter

Lots less line drag and as you say the ability to get away with lighter leads, although I was toying with the idea of going back to a 12lb clear mono on one rod this year, just to convince myself (again) that it really makes no difference to catch rates

Ive not had any issues with ring wear or hook pulls

Rick

I used 25lb whiplash camo up until last year, It was getting too expensive to replace every year.
My river is very very weedy come late July and braid is a godsend.
If you do use it for more than one season check for fraying.
I have gone back to good old Drennan ESP Olive Carp Mono in 12lb strain makes a massive difference when you are so used to braid and its fineness

But if money wasn't an issue I would be straight back on the whiplash!

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

I just ran across this blog via FaceBook and noted the post on braid a little way down.

Just ordered 500m of 30lb for little over £10. Coming from China so likely won't be here by the 16th ;)

Look forward to trying it though.

Stephen

Looks like tow rope, spend an extra tenner and get PP super 8 slick. Side by side I can only see one going in the bin.

Stephen, I use Braid for beach / boat fishing, but would not use it under any circs for Barbel ( not going to get involved in any pros or cons arguments on that one .... been there, done that ,got the badge)

I use E.Bay cheap far eastern braid, and very good it is too for my sea angling purposes,depending on the trade name... I use this stuff...it was delivered two months ago from the supplier below.

Super Strong Dyneema Spectra Braid Fishing Line On sale! | eBay

It comes in PowerPro Packaging, and says " Made in USA "on the packaging,I dont know why, dont ask me, its cheap as chips, quite thin for its supposed strength,free delivery, and arrives in about 8-10 days. This package of 300 yards cost me in total £4.70 delivered, a bit different to the prices some are paying.
It may be that this is 8 strand as opposed to 16, or more, but it works for me, I have had some spooled on a beach multiplier and a fixed spool, for 2 years,used, abused and hauled some big stuff in over rocky ground.I turn it around on the spool every couple of months so it gets even wear.

No I am not a UK friend of the seller, I just use the stuff, and its OK.

Here is a picture of the packaging...

1b047a702b172390a4d844918839ea9c.jpg

The Braid you have ordered is very coarse weave, high diameter,and probably the worst I have seen from the Far East.. I ordered a spool a few months ago as it was cheap,and is now helping hold up the pea supports in the garden.Also OK for kite string.

Dave

Cheers David. Could be third time lucky for myself then!

For those using braid, are you using a leader to guard again abrasion to the line and also the fish?

If so, what are you using?

Thanks once again!

Stephen

I use ebay Dyneema braid delivered straight from China and have done for the last couple of years. The only line that was chucked in my bin during this time was Berkeley Crystal.

Braid

Hi,
Power Pro in 20lb will do anything you want it to do. Remember to slacken off the clutch a little to account for the lack of stretch,
Regards,
G.T.

Cheers David. Could be third time lucky for myself then!

For those using braid, are you using a leader to guard again abrasion to the line and also the fish?

If so, what are you using?

Thanks once again!

Stephen

One way of avoiding abrasion on the main line that I use is to smear the last few feet of mainline with diluted PVA glue, let it soak in and dry for a few minutes and then repeat until the desired effect is created. This can also be used to stiffen up braid hook lengths.

An interesting read Hugo, thanks for posting.

Good advice Graham, thanks for the tip.

It seems the issue of braid versus mono can be just as polarising as barbed verses barbless hooks, that is clear.

The issue of using braid can be pretty confusing. Take for example the use of a leader. Should it be a higher breaking strain "shock leader" to provide a buffer against crack offs during casting, sharp pulls from a fish and good abrasion resistance? Otherwise, should it be a lower breaking strain than the mainline (as it suggested in the article) so as to break and not leave miles of mainline in the water, yet still provide some of the benefits of the above?

Is using a braided mainline direct to hook length so bad? After all, it nearly always breaks at the business end due to knots and wear rather than closer to the rod tip? Also, I'm not likely to be casting to the horizon but there are some swims on the lower Thames were the fish are to be found over 50 yards away. I certainly don't want to crack the lead or feeder off and have it fly toward a person or a boat on the far side :(

Stephen

I use a leader of amnesia to prevent breakages when fishing any river. To not use a leader of any kind when using braid I personally find totally irresponsible. ..

Hi Stephen - the properties of mainline braid are different to braid manufactured specifically for hooklengths. This info is all in Hugo's link. Mainline braid is shouldn't be used straight through to the hook.

For the record, I have spiderwire in 20lb on my 'pins, and use a coated braid as a hooklength.

Thanks for the post Richard.

I probably haven't been clear enough in what I was saying. Just to make it clear my intention is to continue using coated braid for my hook length with the last 2" or so stripped. My question was is it OK to use the mainline directly to the swivel at the the top of the hook length or do I need to use a shock leader or similar?

Jon is describing using such a leader if I am not mistaken?

Stephen

Stephen,

imo it is ok, I will only use a short length of mono between braid and swivel when I know I will be rubbing my braid against rocks if I hook a fish.

My hook lengths are always weaker than my main line and I don't use braid hook lengths.

And I prefer Fireline over the other braids I have tried.

Dave

Brought some Berkley Whiplash Camo 25 pound yesterday, noted the diameter was 0.08mm, compared to 0.3 mm for typical 10 pound mainline this is very thin. Has anyone experienced Braid causing undue stress on reels?

Back