• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The cult of the John Wilson Avon.

Another shout for the Masterline aftersales service, the best I have come across. Have sent one of their Nomad telescopics back to them for repair after snapping the tip due to my own clumsiness and was sent a new rod free of charge. second time I sent the two butt sections of a couple of the Travel barbel rods back to them after the cork came loose on those ridiculous screw down front handles that manufacturers all seemed to adopt on both after just a couple of outings. Told them that I had purchased the rods second hand and enquired about repairs, expressing my dislike of the design of the handles. he told me that they were going back to the original fixed screw fitting. In the end, I was sent two new butt sections with fixed seats, again free of charge.
I would like to say that this is the norm with most companies but have never come across any other company that has matched their service and have added a few more of their rods to my armoury as a result.

When I made the change from Carping to Barbelling the Barbel system, green with red was what I bought and for the money, paid about £60, I think they are and were cracking little rods.

I personally think too much ******** gets talked about rods and reels, I've learnt that over time, I'd be happy to fish with that Wilson as I am to fish with my harrisons.

Angling is all in the head, not in the gear...that's another thing it took me a while to realise, I'm certainly not as big of a tackle tart as I use to be and all the better for it ;)

To be fair the barbel rod is nice to play fish on, but why have they gone for such tiny rod rings? It really struggles with casting feeders or heavy leads.

The avon however is just horribly unbalanced, as I explained before, nice soft top section leading to a broom handle!

I'm certainly no tackle tart having never paid more than 75 quid for a rod!

Back