• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The cult of the John Wilson Avon.

The abbreviated rubber handles were notorious for shrinking and most of the lads using them carried a roll of electrical insulation tape to hold things together or bulk the handle out.
I had a locking reel seat, which was often seen on sea fishing rods, whipped on my JW with a length of old fly line.

P1000102.jpg

They may not be the best rod, but it's still my standard chub rod! A bit of rubber under the reel seat helps it grip, and there's no probs at all.

P1000102.jpg

They may not be the best rod, but it's still my standard chub rod! A bit of rubber under the reel seat helps it grip, and there's no probs at all.

That is the first one I think, it's the one I have with the modified reel seat, don't think I have ever used after buying of a bloke on AN, but if it's good enough for you.....:)

I have an original JW avon quiver and 2 heritage avon quivers, and i still use them as a second rod now, one has only been used once and still has its plastic wrapping on the cork handle!!

I bought a JW avon quiver twin tops when they came out, full cork handle, excellent rod. Caught loads of double figure carp on it and it bent right through to the butt, brilliant. Still use it today with an old mitchell 410.

It's nice to see so many other anglers have enjoyed using these rods. I may well have gotten a little carried away last night after one glass too many :eek: but you never know, when we are all fishing that great big wierpool in the sky and the great grand kids find one in the loft it might be worth a few quid by then. I've got 5 of them, including an original, so i hope so for their sakes! :) As others have already pointed out they were never intended to stun the users of high end fishing tackle - but they did bring a very functional tool to the masses. I can't think of another rod that offers as much for the same price.

I'm surprised to hear Masterline's after-sales getting some flack as I was delighted with the help I had from them. I had the green avon quiver system rod, and for one of those mysterious reasons that only seem to happen with carbon, it simply snapped clean half way down the avon tip section when I was gently flicking out a half ounce lead one day. After a short phone call to Masterline, explaining what had happened and admitting that the rod was some 5 years or more old, I was told to send it back for their inspection. A week or so later a brand new rod turned up F.O.C.

What turned up of course was the new grey blank Avon which, if I'm honest, is not as nice as the green rod. feels far more tippy with less of a through action as an Avon should be. The grey one now harldy ever sees the light of day but I did like that green rod and it did catch me my first double figure barbel on the very day I snapped the avon tip. I was using the quiver tip section instead, on the Gt. Ouse with the river in full, burst bank flood! It stuggled, but the fish was netted.

I actually sold mine twice, the first time was at a boot sale for £30 then about a year later I found it in the bargain bin at cash providers for a tenner and bought it back only to sell it again at another car boot for £20.
I keep checking the bargain bin but its not turned up again......Yet.

Had an original, used it heavily for ten years nearly. It never let me down, had my first dub in it, plenty of tench and chub too.
As mentioned earlier, it was an affordable specimen rod for the masses, in fact prob the first of.
The angling equivalent to the Model T Ford.

Had an original, used it heavily for ten years nearly. It never let me down, had my first dub in it, plenty of tench and chub too.
As mentioned earlier, it was an affordable specimen rod for the masses, in fact prob the first of.
The angling equivalent to the Model T Ford.

Or the mini for us young folk.

i had a origanal green ones with orangy-red whippings & sliding reel fittings .eventually sold it ,in favour of the newer 11-13ft [ green ] system avon/quivers when they first came out ,but wasn't as happy as i was with the origanal ones ,then a couple of years ago i brought 1½ origanal ones (one whole rod + spare but) now as a coincidence i had a broken jw sixshooter with pistal grip (again a origanal one with the orangyred whippings) it'd been run over by a bike on the footpath on the trent .and with a carefully placed cut and whipped with white silk thread and varnished too reenforce the now new joint it fits onto the spare but and makes a 9ft 2lb tc lure /stalking rod .i've had a break in my avon top of the quiver system rod and had too splice in a quiver (actually better than the push in tips) & sinse getting the old jw avon/quiver rod has been reduced too a loaner / spare rod .preferance going too the origanal version

the origanal might not be the best blank or action but it just suited me and all my chub fishing needs .would i buy another !?. yes

other Wilson rods would be a stalker, spin rod, i think it's 8'6ft, good at the time, bit old now.

My first barbel rod was a john wilson 1.75, did the job, unless you wanted to cast anything over an ounce. For some reason, lack of cash I think, I bought the 11ft avon for lighter work, its s**t. With the quiver tip its like two rods stuck together, the top is too soft, but the but section is like a carp rod.
Awful, anyone want to swap it?

My first barbel rod was a john wilson 1.75, did the job, unless you wanted to cast anything over an ounce. For some reason, lack of cash I think, I bought the 11ft avon for lighter work, its s**t. With the quiver tip its like two rods stuck together, the top is too soft, but the but section is like a carp rod.
Awful, anyone want to swap it?

I'l be the first to make you an offer Rhys, I'l swap one of these

http://www.ukfishingandcamping.com/...escopic-rods/telescopic-fishing-rod-1-8m.html

:D

Back