• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

"The Barbus" Centerpin.

Just to flag up that there is one of these....number 11 in the BS R and C auction.
There are a couple of slight mods but basically the same.
Rich.

I've held one of Garry's reels at last year's B.S meet in Hinckley, and a cracking bit of kit it is too. I like the fact that it has a variable ratchet, something that no other c'pin maker (other than Spedias) seem to bother with. If only he'd make the reel with screwed pins instead of rivets. Don't know why this bothers me, but it does; I like the thought that the reel can be stripped down like Chris Lythe's can. Then again, Chris doesn't make one with a variable ratchet. Seems you can't have everything.

Last edited:
Very very nice, but just what the hell is the isotope all about ?

I'm guessing a bit of foresight on the manufacturers part cos if someone is stupid enough to spend 380 quid on a lump of machined alloy, then undoubtedly they're stupid enough to drop it in long grass, at night and without a headtorch.:rolleyes::D

Failing that its for the ultimate tackle tart (obviously not the private reserve of carp anglers:)), who needs (wants) everyone to check out his wares.:D

I'm guessing a bit of foresight on the manufacturers part cos if someone is stupid enough to spend 380 quid on a lump of machined alloy, then undoubtedly they're stupid enough to drop it in long grass, at night and without a headtorch.:rolleyes::D

Failing that its for the ultimate tackle tart (obviously not the private reserve of carp anglers:)), who needs (wants) everyone to check out his wares.:D

Haven't a clue have you.:rolleyes:
Best speak to Gary Mills at Mill Tackle on 01527 450335.
Maybe you could be as condescending to him too.
Must say it has become common reading antagonistic posts from you Colin on here.:cool:

Rich, there is nothing antagonistic about my previous post, sorry you view it that way (actually no ain't:)).

If you want antagonistic posts (and not necessarily from me), start a thread about all the great work your beloved Barbel Society has done for this sport, with particular emphasis on the last few years.:rolleyes:

What about your messiah Paul Boote's post are they not antagonistic in any way shape or form, spose they're just thought provoking:rolleyes:, obviously dependant on your view point.:p:D

I saw a prototype of the reel fitting and Gary told me the isotope was requested by the customer.

I'm not certain, but I wouldn't mind betting that Garry will make the reel without the slot for the isotope if it really bothers anyone. They are handmade after all. To my mind it does look slightly out of place on a traditional pin, but if, or when it's dropped, on a cold, dark night....

Last edited:
:D
It's funny thinking that the isotope is there in case you drop the reel!!!
Gary,myself and I am sure countless others have grabbed the rod in the dark and caught a thumb or fingers in a wildly spinning reel.The isotope was to try to help against doing that,that's all. It does work too!! And its even better if you have one in the rod handle like a Barbel Seeker!!

Back