• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge In Aid of The Army Benevolent Fund

Well done to you all.

Congratulations on a grand effort, no matter what you may have seen or heard elsewhere I have nothing but goodwill for this enterprise and although I am ex RAF I have several friends who are ex Army and a stepbrother who has received help from the ABF so I more than happy to support the work of the ABF.

I am however very surprised more people have not put their hands in their pockets.

Some scumbag tried to break into Jerrys home the other night, while he is out putting all this effort in for charity....with his wife and daughter upstairs alone :eek:....you couldn't ruddy make it up could you, barstewards :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

I suppose certain people are already trying to pin that on me.:confused:

A big well done to the lads, I don't think anyone expected that many doubles....A brilliant effort. Sincere apologies to one and all that the stretch of the Colne I arranged for them didn't come up trumps, but like all fisheries, it can be fickle. Seemingly the barbel there are miserable enough to not play ball even for such a worthy cause....I will have a word with them to make sure they understand the score for next year :D

Cheers, Dave.

Well done Jerry and team..:)
My pledge honoured with pleasure.....:):)

Congratulations on a grand effort, no matter what you may have seen or heard elsewhere I have nothing but goodwill for this enterprise and although I am ex RAF I have several friends who are ex Army and a stepbrother who has received help from the ABF so I more than happy to support the work of the ABF.

I am however very surprised more people have not put their hands in their pockets.

I suppose certain people are already trying to pin that on me.:confused:

I agree ade,lets hope a few more dig deep into their pockets,the lads looked proper knackered on day 12 in sunny kent!! no camper vans,grabbing a wash here and there when possible,and fishing long stints well beyond what could ever be described as pleasure fishing,trying their nuts off for a double at each river,all for a very good cause,well done to them:)

Well done indeed to Jerry and his team on a superb result! An outstanding effort in a very good cause.
He should be very proud of his fantastic achievement, and there will be a good deal more money on the way I am sure!

What a fantastic effort by the whole team .. I'm still trying to catch my first double !!

I've made payment via Just for giving and hope you get more than originaly expected ... Once again congratulations on a brilliant 14 days danglin'

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm deeply disappointed in my fellow anglers, since my post just after midnight there have been a further 238 views and not an extra penny donated. There are some real tight a**ed b****rs out there. If that offends you then TOUGH, if the hat fits, wear it. If just 10% of those viewers donated the price of a packet of fags, a couple of pints of beer or a couple of kg's of pellets Jerry and Co would have cracked the target !!!..There has been over 10,000 views of this thread and we can't hit £2K.....:(

Last edited:
352 views in 2 days..extra money NIL..

Last edited:
I'm with you on this Bill, when you consider all the flack I took on facesbook over this you would think some of the tight gits who called me for everything would stick their hands in their pockets.
There are still a couple of notable 'names' missing off that just giving page, I know you can donate anonymously but the people I'm thinking of are not usually shy of publicity.

Hi Bill
I am one of those 'tight a**ed b****rs out there', and, yes I am offended, which is a pretty good effort by you, as I am not easily offended.

I regularly pay 2 charities by standing order. They are action for M. E. and the Sussex Wildlife trust. Over the last 33 years I have, through my association with Bar Billiards, raised money for St Catharines Hospice. I am still a collection box Holder for the hospice.

The only person I sponsor for pursuing his hobby is my mate Dazza, who's mum is in the last stages of M S. Dazza shed half his 24 stone body weight in 18 months, and can now run marathons in less than four and a half hours. He runs for the M S society. Last year he ran in the Brighton half marathon despite being unwell. He famously collapsed 300 meters from the line. It was subsequently found that the course was 400 meters too long. I am sometimes asked to sponsor people for Golf marathons, dart marathons, etc, and I politely decline, which I feel is my right to do so, without being abused.

Okay Bill, I am now wearing the hat and I am sure a heap of vitriol is about to come my way.

Just off to try and catch a double from the Sussex Ouse, not asking for sponsors.

Kindest regards and the best off luck with the fund raising.
Shaun
ps Despite being financially crucified in a drawn out divorce, I hope to continue with my charity donations.

Last edited:
Shaun- I think that's an absolutely reasonable position to take. Pretty much every cause is a worthy one but individuals will have limits, financial or otherwise. My mum had MS which contributed to her early death and as such this is where my charitable priorities predominantly rest. That said I did donate to this cause as well as others. I sincerely hope that you do not attract negative responses to the position you have taken with this.

I'm really not comfortable with anyone (or everyone) been chastised for not making donations.

Its a voluntary thing and leaves an uncomfortable feeling when people 'demand' than money should be donated.

Bill, I know you are doing it for the right reasons, but I don't think you are going the right way about it.

PLEASE do not let this thread descend into the depths once again..... its a great cause and a worthy charity that Jerry and the lads have raised money for...

Steve

You dont need allot of money to donate to charity. one of the cheapest ways is to go to your local village hall auction (advertised in local papers), buy a couple of £2 boxes of bric-a-brac and then donate them to the charity shop, remembering to fill in the gift aid form.
They will sell it on in the shop and miraculously turn your £4 or £5 investment into £40 or £50 and send you a nice letter to say thanks.
I do it about once a month for our local hospice and the air ambulance.

I'm deeply disappointed in my fellow anglers, since my post just after midnight there have been a further 238 views and not an extra penny donated. There are some real tight a**ed b****rs out there. If that offends you then TOUGH, if the hat fits, wear it. If just 10% of those viewers donated the price of a packet of fags, a couple of pints of beer or a couple of kg's of pellets Jerry and Co would have cracked the target !!!..There has been over 10,000 views of this thread and we can't hit £2K.....:(

Chill Bill . Your fellow anglers may donate to other charities , they may , god forbid, not even think this charity is for them . Jerry and his pals have made a sterling effort , leave it at that , you don't really think that shouting and pointing at folks is going to make them cough up do you ? :(

Back