• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge In Aid of The Army Benevolent Fund

Hi men,

Ade , I'd have you third , as I'd throw in Luis Suarez as well :D .

The lads are on the benyons today sometime , which has fished ok this season , so I hope they nab another .

Hatter

My post on AoBF was meant to be a bit of tongue in cheek banter (hence the little face at the end) for the benefit of Tony Rocca, who I know personally and also know he would never back out on a pledge and who I believe has pledged £10 per doub.

Having taken part in dozens of charity events over a period of 15 years or so in the 80s and 90s I am also savy enough to realise that a challenge of this type would be virtually impossible without a back up team of people to drive, prep food, make tea, prep bait, put bivvys up and a thousand other jobs including local guides.

I have also been around long enough to know that if the guide is doing his job properly and preparing the swim for the lads then, so long as the bait was in the spot which the guide knew was the hot spot the bite would be in the lap of the Gods and down to the thousands of other variables which are beyond human control. It would not really matter who was behind the rods. What I'm trying to say is that an undertaking like this is a team effort and the individual is irrelevant to the outcome.

It's a shame there are people out there (most who should know better) who I believe, for reasons of their own, are being deliberately obtuse with regard to my original post and have chosen to wind Jerry up with half truths and downright lies when he should be concentrating on his fishing.

It does seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest in facebook world though. It seems I'm lagging in second place in Britain's most hated list, just behind Jimmy Savile and just in front of Stuart Hall.

Am I bothered……No not really; I might be if I cared about the opinion of the ones throwing the most mud but the fact is I don't, I also don't have an ego to bruise so they can bang on all they like.

What does annoy me though is that this nonsense might detract from the serious business of raising funds for what, as an ex service man myself, I consider to be a very worthy cause; but TBH I don't think it is going to, in fact it might even prompt one or two to dig a little deeper and if thats the case then keep the mud coming. :)

Is it not on Twitter yet?

:D

Well done Jerry and the Team keep up the great angling. I know you dont just sit there.
Fish today like you did on the first day :)
All the best
Jy the Maccy Ds are on me LOL

John, I don't want your post to encourage further digs against Ade, if it does myself or one of the other mods will lock it down.

Paul

I am not on Facebook but I can guess where you are coming from so pls remove my post if it will help
Regards john

Yes David its for a Great cause, the Army Benevolent Fund, for injured soldiers,if you look at the first page of the thread you will see links on how to donate. What they have already done deserves a donation.I hear they are down to only two for the Uxbridge rovers section of the colne at Rickmansworth today Saturday.Good luck,hope to pop down to see you.

May see you down there then Mark. As I don't know you, I assume I should be looking for a guy carrying a huge blow-up stripey fish :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I did offer to help on the Loddon and Kennet but if they have Phil Smith with them sure it will be ok.

G

i thought you did graham but i could never find the post so thats why i didnt come back to you
we failed on the lodden but dave chambers our 3rd man managed a 7lb plus barbel and a 5lb plus chub me and paul didnt even manage a bite the stretch we fished was hardly movng, lvely river thiough

kenney yesterday we managed 3 doubles i say we paul and dave did, i was having a nightmare wjth weed all night if there was anything coming down it found my line.

colne today

so far we have had 7 doubles out of the 9 rivers fished 13 doubles in total and 3 braces.

please continue to support us by donating to Justgivin.com

jez

Last edited:
Great fishing Jerry, keep it going...:)
You have a PM

The Colne leg was a bit of a nightmare as it happens, the lads fished their hearts out, but with little success (one 3lb'er and one lost monster between them) I managed four small barbel to 7lb+ and a chub....but when you consider that one of those fish was the smallest I have had from that river to date, and add to that the fact that I have never before caught four fish in one go from the Colne without at least one of them being a double....then I have to concede that I was their Jonah on that river. Or...perhaps the barbel gods had decided that the lads had enough doubles already :eek:

I know that as I was not one of 'The Team', any double I managed would not have counted and could not be added to the tally....but at least it would have justified my choice of venue....gutted for them.

No matter, they have a respectable tally already, and still four rivers to go. I will of course not go to watch them on these rivers...I might get thrown in if my presence blighted any more of their efforts :D

Good luck tonight lads,

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
hi

any updates please

john

Hi men,

John , I've been keeping updated through Facebook as well as on here , and I think they have just caught on a hard venue as well , but Jerry should tell us all .

I also donated on Facebook through the just giving page .

Hatter

Last edited:
The lads had barbel on the Thames and the Kentish Stour, but no doubles...but Dave Chambers had a double on the Arun soon after they got there in the morning. Only the Royalty to go now, so lets wish them luck on there....it's certainly capable of doing it for them.

Some scumbag tried to break into Jerrys home the other night, while he is out putting all this effort in for charity....with his wife and daughter upstairs alone :eek:....you couldn't ruddy make it up could you, barstewards :mad:

Cheers, Dave.

we failed on the thames but the lads caught barbel, i diidnt fish was too fooked so decided to skeepm..

over to the kentish stour next for another fail but again we caught barbel, stunning river.

arun in sussex after that, we always new we were in for a fail on this river, the die hard locals only get 2-3 barbel a year but after only an hrs fishing dave chambers had a cracking double in the net.

off to the royalty next where dave again had the double at dead on 11lb me and paul managed nothing but bream, was fantastc to end the challenge on the royalty especially with the double.

we managed to get doubles off 9 of the 14 rivers taking 15 doubles in total plus numerous smaller fish, the only river we didnt get barbel from was the mighty lower severn

time for home now via the wye, the wives arnt expecting us home untill tomorrow so it would be rude not too

jez

Brilliant Jerry, very well done mate, superb effort, let me know if you ever want to fish a proper stretch of the Loddon

Back