• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Angling Trust.

Shouldn't the trust be asking themselves why the majority of anglers haven't joined? being the only organisation that represents anglers is I am afraid not good enough. As they don't seem to be doing this I can only assume that the trust are happy with things as they are.

One thing that I believe alienated some anglers was members that joined early on having a holier than thou attitude with those that hadn't, it did the trust no favours at all and I know anglers that didn't join because of it, the fact that it carries on even today is I believe stopping anglers from joining.

I don't believe that anglers have failed the trust but I do believe that the trust have failed to comprehend the principals of some anglers by doing what they have to gain sponsorship for what is their most prestigious match fishing occasion.

That certainly hits the nail on the head for me Graham

When the water companies were sold off to the private sector, profit was always going to come before the environment, that's just something we have to live with I'm afraid. I was never in favour of privatisation. When said water companies pollute rivers the AT takes legal action, something I hope everyone sees as a good thing. If the water companies offer to sponsor AT events the Trust has the option of accepting the sponsorship and using the funds for the good of angling or declining them. Declining the funds in no way helps angling and doesn't reduce the incidences of pollution, so pretty pointless in my opinion. There's no point in being on a high horse just to give yourself a better view of the death of what you love.

Nick

When the water companies were sold off to the private sector, profit was always going to come before the environment, that's just something we have to live with I'm afraid. I was never in favour of privatisation. When said water companies pollute rivers the AT takes legal action, something I hope everyone sees as a good thing. If the water companies offer to sponsor AT events the Trust has the option of accepting the sponsorship and using the funds for the good of angling or declining them. Declining the funds in no way helps angling and doesn't reduce the incidences of pollution, so pretty pointless in my opinion. There's no point in being on a high horse just to give yourself a better view of the death of what you love.

Nick

Its Fish Legal that take action against polluters not the Angling Trust.

The money they accept from polluting water companies is not used "for the good of angling" its used to sponsor the riverfest matches.

In my opinion the accepting of money from polluters by the trust is hypocritical, perhaps you haven't read the statement made by Mark Lloyd where he says that they accepted money from them because there was no one else? if there was no one else surely it would have been better to not have it at all? the fact that the trust use successful actions against polluters as publicity makes the taking of this money a disgrace.

At least by declining funds from such a source they would not have alienated anglers or put themselves in a position where one arm of the organisation is fighting polluters while the other is condoning what these water companies do by accepting money from them. As far as I am concerned its dirty money.

I don't think we agree on this one Graham, or are likely to ever do so. We all have a different view of the world. Tight lines.

Nick C

OK so you Graham have an issue with one part of AT, even if you are right, the rest of the effort and money from Anglers subs more than make up for any faults the AT might have. Seems like you are on a bit of a campaign here, from my point of view I cannot see too much that is wrong with the AT but see a lot of positives, you see it the other way round.

Some come on Victor cough up, you know it makes sense, you might even feel part of those that are doing it for the greater good of Angling ;)

OK so you Graham have an issue with one part of AT, even if you are right, the rest of the effort and money from Anglers subs more than make up for any faults the AT might have. Seems like you are on a bit of a campaign here, from my point of view I cannot see too much that is wrong with the AT but see a lot of positives, you see it the other way round.

Some come on Victor cough up, you know it makes sense, you might even feel part of those that are doing it for the greater good of Angling ;)

Firstly I don't see the need for name calling but if that's the way you are there is nothing that can be done unless you decided that rudeness is not really acceptable at any time, I cant see that happening though.

As for the rest of your post, I am not on any sort of campaign I have strong views about the trust and some of their activities, you will not change them as you don't have any persuasive arguments to put forward only the trust can.

If you are happy to continue paying to the trust so be it, I along with the vast majority of anglers will not, perhaps you and the trust ought to be asking why the majority are not members?

Firstly I don't see the need for name calling but if that's the way you are there is nothing that can be done unless you decided that rudeness is not really acceptable at any time, I cant see that happening though.

As for the rest of your post, I am not on any sort of campaign I have strong views about the trust and some of their activities, you will not change them as you don't have any persuasive arguments to put forward only the trust can.

If you are happy to continue paying to the trust so be it, I along with the vast majority of anglers will not, perhaps you and the trust ought to be asking why the majority are not members?

Oh! come off it Graham, it really doesn't warrant all this nonsense, about the Great Polluters being in league with the Devil, what it all boils down to is as I said by and large the AT and even Thames Water are both pulling their weight to improve water quality, as in fact the evidence shows over the last few years.
Of course nothing is perfect, and if you do feel so strongly about these issues then it is your right not to join, but for such a small sum per month I am of the opinion that every little helps, OUR Sport.

No neither do I , but then again check back, you I am afraid kicked off the rudeness....

No neither do I , but then again check back, you I am afraid kicked off the rudeness....

No need for me to check back, I asked how you had the temerity to tell me how to spend my money.................. a question that you have yet to answer but as you have now done it twice I have to think that you are a bossy sort of a person, good job no one listens eh.

No need for me to check back, I asked how you had the temerity to tell me how to spend my money.................. a question that you have yet to answer but as you have now done it twice I have to think that you are a bossy sort of a person, good job no one listens eh.

This going to run longer than Cats, gert big ones that roam the countryside that no one has ever shot, snapped or captured, not even a road kill, you were struggling with that one, and now this, good for you for going out on a limb, I admire that... but enough Graham, what's £2.50 in swallowing your pride?:)

This going to run longer than Cats, gert big ones that roam the countryside that no one has ever shot, snapped or captured, not even a road kill, you were struggling with that one, and now this, good for you for going out on a limb, I admire that... but enough Graham, what's £2.50 in swallowing your pride?:)

Just cant resist telling me what to do with my money can you ? don't you understand that's its people like yourself that are part of my reasons not to join them? That's apart from the very valid reasons that the trust give me, you see I value my morals much higher than the £2.50 a month that you suggest.

As for your rather silly attempt to deflect attention from this thread by mentioning another perhaps if you are so interested in cats you would be better off contacting these people.

www.cats.org.uk/

Just cant resist telling me what to do with my money can you ? don't you understand that's its people like yourself that are part of my reasons not to join them? That's apart from the very valid reasons that the trust give me, you see I value my morals much higher than the £2.50 a month that you suggest.

As for your rather silly attempt to deflect attention from this thread by mentioning another perhaps if you are so interested in cats you would be better off contacting these people.

www.cats.org.uk/

So are you suggesting the thousands of Anglers that support the AT have no morals? I said nothing is perfect, however the AT is a body that supports Angling and Anglers, and for that reason alone I feel we should cough up £2.50 a month. You can make enough excuses as to why you won't but those that don't pay will still benefit from those that do.
To answer you question as to why I had the 'temerity' to ask you to pay, well that was you escalating the argument, you are old enough and robust enough to see that was not a insult in any way, especially on a Angling Forum such as this.:rolleyes:
Well I did check on your previous posts, and I see you did have some pretty strong views on Big Cat's and their 'likely' existence, and you were not shy in telling me how wrong I was in doubting that. So perhaps you might feel that you came out of that argument a bit sore? :p
But I concede, if I ever see a Big Cat in the wild, and survive, or any decent images either still or moving I will indeed bow that I was wrong then, why I might be even moved enough to pay your £2.50 subs.:)

So are you suggesting the thousands of Anglers that support the AT have no morals? I said nothing is perfect, however the AT is a body that supports Angling and Anglers, and for that reason alone I feel we should cough up £2.50 a month. You can make enough excuses as to why you won't but those that don't pay will still benefit from those that do.
To answer you question as to why I had the 'temerity' to ask you to pay, well that was you escalating the argument, you are old enough and robust enough to see that was not a insult in any way, especially on a Angling Forum such as this.:rolleyes:
Well I did check on your previous posts, and I see you did have some pretty strong views on Big Cat's and their 'likely' existence, and you were not shy in telling me how wrong I was in doubting that. So perhaps you might feel that you came out of that argument a bit sore? :p
But I concede, if I ever see a Big Cat in the wild, and survive, or any decent images either still or moving I will indeed bow that I was wrong then, why I might be even moved enough to pay your £2.50 subs.:)

Despite your feeble attempt i refuse to get into something from another thread on this one no matter how hard you try your bait isn't good enough.

In no way have i said that trust members have no morals indeed whether to join the trust or not is entirely their prerogative, so please don't make any more rather childish attempts to put words into my mouth.

If you and others believe that the trust supports anglers and angling that's up to you i have different views and by the look of how many anglers haven't joined so do the majority but i wouldn't blame anyone for joining if that's what they thought was the correct thing to do.

I don't make excuses for my not joining the trust they are reasons but plenty of members in the past have called mine and others reasons excuses, it seems most anglers have excuses when it comes to not joining the trust and as i said one of the reasons is members such as you that think they are completely entitled to belittle anglers that don't join, even you must be able to realise that most anglers have not joined they will never join and members such as yourself do the trust no favours at all with your "you should join" rhetoric.

"Those that don't pay will still benefit from those that do " ?? name one thing that the trust has done that has benefitted me as an angler........ if you can.

Just so that you are aware i will list my top 3 reasons for not joining.

1) the continued hypocrisy of taking money from possibly the worst polluter in the country.

2) the cheating of new members being charged full price to join while at the same time offering lapsed members a lower rate in an attempt to get them to rejoin, not something an organisation with the word trust in its title should be doing.

3) the continued holier than thou attitude by members towards none members, it does the trust no good at all and i know anglers that have not joined because of it.

Back