• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Angling Trust.

Won't happen Graham. .......Neil Smart........semi pro at arguing. :rolleyes:

You at least I would have hoped might have shown some support for my comments, after all you did show some support regarding the Shad in the past, and something along the lines that we cannot be single species.....

Anyway, an update on the EA intentions to give free passage to all migratory fish, Midlands Today have just done a piece on such. 70 ft wide gates, viewing galleries for the public, water quality best it's ever been, surely has to be good news, even for the Barbel, in case anyone needs reminding, they also migrate.

So, I am afraid the momentum is such Powick Weir looks like it might indeed be levelled.

I did think passes would not be the answer, so hopefully the wider gates will be a real positive. Surely if all this can benefit the Shad, it will also the Barbel?

I don't wish to argue Jeff, just to outline a few relevant and pertinent points, and with that you should resist sneering.

I saw that Rhys and it sounds wonderful doesn't it? unfortunately imo it PR rubbish aimed at a none angling public who know very little about the riverine environment and if the truth were told care even less, how many of the public reading that would realise that one of the endangered species mentioned ( eel) are still trapped by those who get a licence from the EA.

Just one question I would ask them, If its ok to build new fish passes on the Severn why is it not ok to do the same at Powick?

PS
the trust have now said that the representatives of the SPW page will now be included in any future meetings, I wonder why?

PPS
If this link works its interesting to compare the shad and the eel so far as being endangered goes.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/

Interesting comparison indeed; Critically Endangered vs Least Concern. Never understood the contradiction of licensing elver removal for a critically endangered species, however, anguilla anguilla never seems that endangered when I'm fishing with a lump of meat. I do wonder how population trends are assessed.

Surely the Barbel will benefit from access to the middle reaches of the Teme?
Consider that the Barbel were not on the Western rivers at the time these weirs were built, having a free run seems like fill 'yer boots time for them.

It looks as though the shad was just a front for removal of the weir, the EAs contribution to its removal come from its flood defence budget, says it all for me.

Back