• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Angling Trust.

John Cook

Are you guys still joining or dropping from the membership? Are they doing enough do you think? I know that we need a body to protect our sport etc..My membership is soon up for renewel shortly and i dont know what to do....Also were the subs cheaper than £29 last term or have there been a price hike?

I pay £2.50 a month John, such a small amount I just trust that we are better off with than without the AT.

I recently went to a Thames forum run by the AT. I have been meaning to go to one of these events for a while, but always found an excuse not to give up an evening. I was glad I made the effort. It was reasonably well attended and it was obvious that the AT has passionate people at it's helm. I had the opportunity during a Q & A with a representative of the EA (again,someone who was passionate about his role within that organisation) to ask a couple of questions to which I received a good response from him. Well worth a few quid of our hard earned I wouls say.

For £2.50 a month, I personally think I'm doing my bit.

Trust should not be part of their name as they have done and continue to do things that imo should not have been done and that's the reason why they wont be getting any of my money ever again.

The subs have gone up. Still a member, their voluntary bailiff scheme is putting more eyes on the bank and catching more poachers so that's good news for me.
No doubt they can never do enough for some people but it's rather have them than not.

Trust should not be part of their name as they have done and continue to do things that imo should not have been done and that's the reason why they wont be getting any of my money ever again.

You cannot please all the people....I am sure they don't do everything you would would want, but they have the good of our sport at their core, so for a measly £2.50 a month you really should 'cough' up.

I recently went to a Thames forum run by the AT. I have been meaning to go to one of these events for a while, but always found an excuse not to give up an evening. I was glad I made the effort. It was reasonably well attended and it was obvious that the AT has passionate people at it's helm. I had the opportunity during a Q & A with a representative of the EA (again,someone who was passionate about his role within that organisation) to ask a couple of questions to which I received a good response from him. Well worth a few quid of our hard earned I wouls say.

Well said Steve :)

You cannot please all the people....I am sure they don't do everything you would would want, but they have the good of our sport at their core, so for a measly £2.50 a month you really should 'cough' up.
Pleased to be a member, as I was with the ACA.

How dare you have the temerity to tell me what I should do with my money, you pay all you want but I refuse to support an organisation the has in the past and continues to take money from one of the biggest polluters in the country, their reason? because there was nobody else! not a reason in my book at all.

I refuse to give any money to an organisation that charged new members full price while at the same time trying to retrieve lapsed members by charging a lot less for them to rejoin, not something they publicised or admitted until challenged, maybe they should have been asking themselves why these anglers are ex members?

Yes you guys are correct 2.50 anyone can afford monthly, dont know what came over me...Thanks for the kick up the arse guys i shall be rejoining...:)

Yes Bob i was always a member of the ACA myself.....

I do keep rejoining, but they do have an annoying agenda in certain areas. I am well aware that they can't please everyone all of the time, so I forgive them for not doing things that in my opinion they should...because they don't have the money to do everything.

However, when they do things that the majority of anglers would rather they didn't, then you do have to wonder what/who it is that they are listening to.

Ultimately though, as has been said, we do need someone to fight our case, even if they seem not do that all of the time, and it is a rather small amount...so I guess we don't have a lot of choice. Bit like being married in a lot of ways :D:D

Cheers, Dave

I do keep rejoining, but they do have an annoying agenda in certain areas. I am well aware that they can't please everyone all of the time, so I forgive them for not doing things that in my opinion they should...because they don't have the money to do everything.

However, when they do things that the majority of anglers would rather they didn't, then you do have to wonder what/who it is that they are listening to.

Ultimately though, as has been said, we do need someone to fight our case, even if they seem not do that all of the time, and it is a rather small amount...so I guess we don't have a lot of choice. Bit like being married in a lot of ways :D:D

Cheers, Dave

The answer to that Dave is imo only themselves.

I wont rejoin whilst they continue to take 'sponsorship money' from Thames water as i really cant see any justification for them following that particular policy.
Neil

I wont rejoin whilst they continue to take 'sponsorship money' from Thames water as i really cant see any justification for them following that particular policy.
Neil

Their answer to that was that there was nobody else, that should never have been a reason to accept cash from them and shows where their loyalties lie.

People who fish who don't join more than likely benefit somewhere along the line I would of thought so well done those who do join including me and think its works out something like 55p a week :)

Back