• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

I'm out for a quick smash and grab this afternoon to dusk... I went last Monday, been there only an hour, baited up, everything perfect......... til the wife rang up and said the front wheel had fallen off her car.

I'm out for a quick smash and grab this afternoon to dusk... I went last Monday, been there only an hour, baited up, everything perfect......... til the wife rang up and said the front wheel had fallen off her car.
Crikey Jon she doesn’t do things by half does she 🤣

Sounds very familiar Jon my wife’s been known to do things like🤣 once phoned me to say the viscous fan had fallen off her old chevette🤣

First TINCA of the season....

Attachments

• 20230416_145655.jpg
    20230416_145655.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 116
First session today along with my Son Richard and Grandson Archie,between us we had 11 tench (Ric 7,Archie 3 and 1 for me) plus a bonus 3lb perch for me and a 1-14 eel for Archie.Top tench was a 6-8 cracker for Ric,all the others were in the 5-2 to 5-4 bracket.A great day,can’t wait to do it again,roll on 👍👍

Attachments

• B1E607A3-DF5D-4AFC-9480-A4508D1192E9.jpeg
    B1E607A3-DF5D-4AFC-9480-A4508D1192E9.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 463C5E32-8BBA-4E1E-A2C1-FDBFD71A0B0A.jpeg
    463C5E32-8BBA-4E1E-A2C1-FDBFD71A0B0A.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 101
  • 2DBA4FCF-F480-4F2A-BFB3-F15102D55609.jpeg
    2DBA4FCF-F480-4F2A-BFB3-F15102D55609.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 101
First session today along with my Son Richard and Grandson Archie,between us we had 11 tench (Ric 7,Archie 3 and 1 for me) plus a bonus 3lb perch for me and a 1-14 eel for Archie.Top tench was a 6-8 cracker for Ric,all the others were in the 5-2 to 5-4 bracket.A great day,can’t wait to do it again,roll on 👍👍
What a fantastic session🎣 all catching the tench🎣

What a day, well done Trevor, Richard and Archie. I don’t think that a session can top that one. A family treat 😁👍

Can’t buy a bite at the moment. My second trip to SWS at Larkfield for a two day one night session. Arrived at daybreak on Monday and had a look at a couple of the lakes but couldn’t find any Tench showing so settled on a nice looking swim on The Ocean. The wind was blowing into the bay. The water was deeper than I expected with a fairly constant 17ft from 40 yards out ‘till it reached a sharp sloping marginal shelf. There was a thin layer of we’d on the bottom but more on the marginal shelf. I fished two rods at 35 yards and one at about 12 yards at the base of the shelf. During the day I fished maggot feeder over a mainly hemp feed with a couple of handfuls of tares and maples into the mix. The obligatory dead red maggots also amongst the mix. I switched over to 12mm boilies and pop ups at night in case any Anguilla’s took a fancy but alas….nowt, zilch not a nibble. I’ve a good two pints of healthy reds left so planning to spend Thursday morning on my local (which hasn’t been fishing too well of late) to give them a swimming lesson 😁

Can’t buy a bite at the moment. My second trip to SWS at Larkfield for a two day one night session. Arrived at daybreak on Monday and had a look at a couple of the lakes but couldn’t find any Tench showing so settled on a nice looking swim on The Ocean. The wind was blowing into the bay. The water was deeper than I expected with a fairly constant 17ft from 40 yards out ‘till it reached a sharp sloping marginal shelf. There was a thin layer of we’d on the bottom but more on the marginal shelf. I fished two rods at 35 yards and one at about 12 yards at the base of the shelf. During the day I fished maggot feeder over a mainly hemp feed with a couple of handfuls of tares and maples into the mix. The obligatory dead red maggots also amongst the mix. I switched over to 12mm boilies and pop ups at night in case any Anguilla’s took a fancy but alas….nowt, zilch not a nibble. I’ve a good two pints of healthy reds left so planning to spend Thursday morning on my local (which hasn’t been fishing too well of late) to give them a swimming lesson 😁
It's not only me then Bill.

Mags and wafters used from 11 am Monday to 4pm Tuesday. Not a sniff for me or 5 others on the bank.
Took home 3pints maggots that are now in the freezer for dead's next week

It's not only me then Bill.

Mags and wafters used from 11 am Monday to 4pm Tuesday. Not a sniff for me or 5 others on the bank.
Took home 3pints maggots that are now in the freezer for dead's next week
Not just you and me Graham, a mate who normally catches regularly just gone thru’ a gruelling patch. Strange in view of the fact that March fished well mostly. I’m not expecting to catch at SWS like I have caught on my local but was hoping that something might happen. Onwards and upwards if I’m going to get a new PB I’ve got to stick at it but I don’t like blanking I’m getting too old to waste time 🤣🤣

Well we spent the morning on our local club lake it was my first blank🙄 that fishing for you. But my son managed 3 tench and 2carp🎣 when he’s not looking Iam gona cut his hook off 🤣
Unbelievably One of the tench he caught I’d netted last Friday
Pic of me Friday and Nathan’s fish yesterday definitely the same fish 🎣

Attachments

• 76D5E364-0E72-4D73-A7AE-4AA37E7D5715.jpeg
    76D5E364-0E72-4D73-A7AE-4AA37E7D5715.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 9B4EBC71-08FC-4240-A2FA-72B3DF3A9CA0.jpeg
    9B4EBC71-08FC-4240-A2FA-72B3DF3A9CA0.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 92
What a day ! Out of bed at 5am, loaded rods into car and away, arrived at the lake and took a walk. Only four anglers (carp) on the complex and one of them in a swim I fancied. I would have been flying blind anyway as no signs of fish anywhere. I finally decided on comfort to be honest, the north-east breeze was damn chilly so fished a swim that has produced plenty for me in the past with the wind coming from behind me. Relocated car to appropriate parking area and got gear to swim, set up then realised I’d left my maggots at home ! 😱🫢 Fortunately I have a pot of pop up corn in my bag and fished that ‘till the current Mrs W was awake and brought me my maggots. Fished from 7am - 2pm and only actively was a very fast drop back “bite” which resulted with me striking into thin air. There’s only so much enjoyment I can endure so knocked off at 2pm. Arrived home and started getting the gear out of car and back has gone into spasm so now walking like a duck with a problem. Hey ho! Onwards and upwards, break out the white horse oils 🤣

These probably don’t count…

I went out with a float rod for a couple of hours to catch a few roach this afternoon. Flavoured maggots on an 18 to .12 hooklink. Managed 30 or 40 roach to about 8oz.

Caught three tench between about 2lb and 4/4.5 and a stray crucian of about a pound. Good fun on the light gear.

My proper tenching hasn’t started yet - I keep looking/walking but the water doesn’t look inviting yet. Maybe in a week or two…..

After 2 blanks, 1 last Monday and 2 weeks prior. Got amongst them today. 1st bite snapped me as I connected. 2nd bite hook pull. Next 4 bites a 4lb12, 5lb1, 6lb and a 6lb7

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_165138.jpg
    IMG_20230422_165138.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230422_170823.jpg
    IMG_20230422_170823.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230422_180752.jpg
    IMG_20230422_180752.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230422_200528.jpg
    IMG_20230422_200528.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 64
Fridays session felt perfect for it, fishing heli mag feeder, I didnt have a bite for first few hours then had a few storming bites that looked like classic tench hit and runs.
Connecting with the 3rd one after adjusting the hook length, felt like a good tench..then it started to come in a bit easy 🤦‍♂️ 6lb 7oz bream.
20230421_121635.jpg

No more bites for next hour then the rain started pouring so my recasting slacked off as i hid under the brolly..another good bite and a better battle, soon a beautiful tench slid over the net after a much fairer fight. Scales just touching six, very happy to get my first proper one of the year.
20230421_150147.jpg

Hard going so far , 5 sessions and 3 tench blanks for me (bream and rudd still obliging), 2 for my Dad. 5 fish for him and 2 for me. Bring on the mild weather!

Back