• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

I was out on Sunday on a Southern lake. I had 6 Tench, biggest was 6lb 7oz. My fishing partner had 4 biggest 6lb 5oz. All on swimfeeder with maggots on a maggot clip. Conditions were overcast, air temperature was approximately 10°c, NE wind. The sun came out in the afternoon and the fish were feeding for most of the day although we had 4 in an hour around 1000.
This made up for Saturday on a different venue where the rain was biblical, the water was overflowing and the mud was like the Somme. I managed 2 x Carp to 6lb 7oz before calling it a day!😊

Been fishing a large southern pit for a few weeks for nothing, last week was much better, 4 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and 1 Thursday. 0ne 5lber, one 6lber, two 7s, two 8s and a beast of 9lb 14oz, all immaculate but will fatten up a lot, then the wind changed and nothing to follow bar a few liners, very few fish showing, but the conditions were a tad breezy and wet. Should get a whole lot better given some stable weather, the buglife is certainly waking up now.

At least you went out Alec, I decided to work instead and glad I did as it got cold up here today. Tight lines next time.

Amazing that after fishing for a few years now since I retired, my first day, after ,6 months,I left so much behind at home and couldn't remember what, suggests my time is running out! Ha!

Went to my local club lake for my first tench trip yesterday, I only spent a few hours.
Using my own bait & I managed 1 tench a 3.5lb specimen,so Iam up and running🎣
I went again this morning for another session which produced 3 more tench to 4lb I lost a further fish a carp, it went off like a train straight into a snag to my left 🙄
One of the fish was a old friend I caught last season with half a dorsal 2/3 of a tail a bent pectoral fin hes unmistakable🤣 can’t wait to go back in the week🎣👍🏻

Well yesterday in between the thunderous showers we’d spent most of the morning removing a broken Audi steering lock🙄 after lunch we decided to head to our local club lake for another tench session🎣 on arrival we had more thunderous hail showers and biblical skies, it didn’t look good. We sat in the van until it passed and set up🎣
Soon my son had forgotten all about the Audi drama of the morning as he netted a tench 4lb6oz🎣 I’d set up round the corner from him and as usual fished my own bait🎣 we were only there for a 2hr session and as it is with fishing was looking like a blank for me but just at last knockings I was in and a 4lb13oz tinca sat in my net once again the bait did the trick 🎣👍🏻

Attachments

• B3455D09-3F72-4E04-B6FC-F40D226F3D2D.jpeg
    B3455D09-3F72-4E04-B6FC-F40D226F3D2D.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 85
Update on my first tench foray Wednesday. ( although I did manage one the week before when perch and roach fishing)

Started early at 7.30am having passed through a sleet storm on the way.
Calm for 3 hours, then the gales started, meaning a bit of holding on the brolly arms.
Chap that been fishing the day before told me he seen tench rolling yesterday morning but no sign from midday on.
The gales carried on with driving rain until 10pm when I admitted defeat using a brief stop in the rain to pack up.
No sign of fish at all.
My successful bait of last year was tried for half the time. Plus elips and corn.

The coots gave some annoying breaks in the day as well as a Swan that spent most of the day attacking and following a Canadian Goose.

Arrived at Birdlip to find they had decided without notice to close the A417 road at the Pub going downhill.
Followed the diversion signs for 3 miles to the junction. The diversion sign pointed to a road to Cheltenham that was now closed as well.
This despite the promise that they would never close both at the same time!

Drove back and went via Birdlip village to the M5.

I have had better days.

Going Monday
20230412_081232.jpg

Well yesterday in between the thunderous showers we’d spent most of the morning removing a broken Audi steering lock🙄 after lunch we decided to head to our local club lake for another tench session🎣 on arrival we had more thunderous hail showers and biblical skies, it didn’t look good. We sat in the van until it passed and set up🎣
Soon my son had forgotten all about the Audi drama of the morning as he netted a tench 4lb6oz🎣 I’d set up round the corner from him and as usual fished my own bait🎣 we were only there for a 2hr session and as it is with fishing was looking like a blank for me but just at last knockings I was in and a 4lb13oz tinca sat in my net once again the bait did the trick

Update on my first tench foray Wednesday. ( although I did manage one the week before when perch and roach fishing)

Started early at 7.30am having passed through a sleet storm on the way.
Calm for 3 hours, then the gales started, meaning a bit of holding on the brolly arms.
Chap that been fishing the day before told me he seen tench rolling yesterday morning but no sign from midday on.
The gales carried on with driving rain until 10pm when I admitted defeat using a brief stop in the rain to pack up.
No sign of fish at all.
My successful bait of last year was tried for half the time. Plus elips and corn.

The coots gave some annoying breaks in the day as well as a Swan that spent most of the day attacking and following a Canadian Goose.

Arrived at Birdlip to find they had decided without notice to close the A417 road at the Pub going downhill.
Followed the diversion signs for 3 miles to the junction. The diversion sign pointed to a road to Cheltenham that was now closed as well.
This despite the promise that they would never close both at the same time!

Drove back and went via Birdlip village to the M5.

I have had better days.

Going MondayView attachment 23375
That's it, endeavour to persevere! Robert, not going to read you anymore! Not seen a tench of any size for 2 years. Maybe they have all swum north! Ha

My first trip of April on Thursday gone, seven hours on a water I’ve not fished since 1978! Was after Carp in those days but can remember seeing Tench rolling but I only had eyes for cypry 😩 Fast forward forty-five years and was again on the Road and Island Lake which is now controlled by SWS Fisheries. I had dreamed a good dream but alas the Tench hadn’t tuned in, I did see two Tench roll, one in the vicinity of my baits the other some distance off. Planning to be back for a two day, one night session on Monday/Tuesday….Wish me luck 🤣 🤞

I’ll be doing ocean Monday Tuesday next week 24th that is. At least it’s not just us blanking bill

Tight lines

Back