• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

My first trip in the hope of a Tench today. Wasn’t really planned, I got a phone from my son on Wednesday night to say he’d got the day off today and wanted to chill for a few hours. He set his stall out for Carp me for Tench. We both blanked ! Apart from the wet start to the day it was quite pleasant shielded from the wind. Cork is probably out of the bottle and I’ll be back soon 👍
Just bloody greedy Bill.

That’s a fantastic start bill 🎣 once again your off to a flyer 🎣💥
Our quest for the tincas will start in the coming weeks.
We’re mainly be fishing our little local club lake as it’s only 5mins from home, perfect for after work sessions🎣 no monsters but a good chance of a 6lb er 🤞🏻 we’re also planning a few overnight stints on another club lake (there be dragons there)🤣
Good luck all

That’s a fantastic start bill 🎣 once again your off to a flyer 🎣💥
Our quest for the tincas will start in the coming weeks.
We’re mainly be fishing our little local club lake as it’s only 5mins from home, perfect for after work sessions🎣 no monsters but a good chance of a 6lb er 🤞🏻 we’re also planning a few overnight stints on another club lake (there be dragons there)🤣
Good luck all
Cheers Robert 👍 good luck on your quest and I look forward to your posts. The more of us reporting our captures will help the close season pass until the rivers open up again although I’m going to be pushing my boundaries this season and will chase the Tench well into the summer….😁

Starting mid April dependent on weather.

Not for the fish. For me.
Similar for me.

My water is 5minutes from home - so I’ll walk it (all 70 odd acres) and chat up the carp boys.

I also need to do some re-plumbing to check that my 10 years old map (I used to carp fish there) is still accurate - weeds, silt etc etc. And there are a couple of new swims to check out.

I have a window of opportunity to start next weekend...but predictably the forecast as it stands shows the temps dropping significantly from Friday. Typical!

I'll largely be fishing a 20-acre ancient Mere, but also will fish a local club water less than a 10 mins drive away. It's only a few acres, and it isn't exactly prolific. But it's close to home and will give me the chance to fish the odd early morning session during the week before work. I'll be going float only on this water. I may even cycle there on the odd occasion.

I have a window of opportunity to start next weekend...but predictably the forecast as it stands shows the temps dropping significantly from Friday. Typical!

I'll largely be fishing a 20-acre ancient Mere, but also will fish a local club water less than a 10 mins drive away. It's only a few acres, and it isn't exactly prolific. But it's close to home and will give me the chance to fish the odd early morning session during the week before work. I'll be going float only on this water. I may even cycle there on the odd occasion.
If you went more than once Joe, you would be recycling and we all know you're keen on that.

Just ordered a castable weed rake, for my Tenching. I really think a good bit of disturbance helps the swim. Especially ragging up the bottom, and releasing all those goodies, tucked under the surface.

First short session of the season on a small local pond with a bit of history yesterday, fished from 06.15 to 10.30 but a total blank not a touch, my excuse is, it was a bit cold 5C first thing at 05.45.

The history of this pond is that it has produced a "nine" however the best fish I have seen is a good five with my best being a very modest four and a half male fish.

Four years ago a lad showed me a photo of a " nine" he caught the night before, which at best was a three pounder. I asked him if it was a red herring rather than a Tench and he replied "no definitely a tench" I just laughed and walked away with my teeth intact.

I once saw an 11lber in the Angling times. Funnily it was an old photo from 2 seasons prior of an 8lber. He just wanted to get his photo in the AT. Reason I knew; it was me who took the photo.... people these days, anything for a bit of glory....

Well done Bill, great result and a PB as well👍.
Thanks Tony but I really could have done without the Eel, it’s saving grace was it fought a dam sight harder than a bream and because I’d changed over to a worm kebab rig on that rod it was lip hooked.

Thanks Tony but I really could have done without the Eel, it’s saving grace was it fought a dam sight harder than a bream and because I’d changed over to a worm kebab rig on that rod it was lip hooked.
Great session there Bill,you’ve got me thinking about making an earlier start to my own tenching than I normally would . Did you give the boilies a try ?

Another trip to my local today. Despite a fish in first half hour the next four hours were lifeless. 11:30am saw the start a steady stream of fish ‘till I packed up at 4:15pm. Ended with ten Tinca’s including a brace of sevens plus a new PB Eel of 3-13.
Great angling. brilliant eel. we'll done.

Great session there Bill,you’ve got me thinking about making an earlier start to my own tenching than I normally would . Did you give the boilies a try ?
I haven’t done as yet Bob but I’ve caught nearly as many sub five pound fish so far this year as I did last season in the whole of May & June so next trip I’ll be trying boilies on one rod. Go on! Get started, you know you want to 🤣

Back