• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

My barbel mojo has suffered somewhat recently but had a long overdue start to a tench fishing campaign at a secluded gravel pit recently and was blown away with two great fish which came to my modest technique.
Popped up boilie bought two tench , best 9lb 10oz other 7lb 5oz.
You bet I am going again !
Got photos but I dont know how to put them up

Why is Kent deemed the best for tench ?

My barbel mojo has suffered somewhat recently but had a long overdue start to a tench fishing campaign at a secluded gravel pit recently and was blown away with two great fish which came to my modest technique.

Two great fish Mark but the biggie is a beast of a fish. Well caught Sir 👍

More bigger tench in the South
Warmer water.

Up North a 7lb tench is very big.

I had enjoyable mid afternoon into evening session at my club complex of three ponds. I again headed for the lower pond in search of the better sized tench. It was quite busy, some of our other venues are still closed because of carp spawning activity, and most guys I chatted to were struggling. I had a slow start but the first tench arrived after about an hour. By that time there were only two of us left on the lower pond and we both started to catch tench.

By the time I packed up at 8:30pm I'd had several tench from 3lbs+ to 4lbs 13oz (I weighed that one because I was totally confident it was a "big 5"!).

284496535_10158822764367253_1769592800518954454_n.jpg 283746675_10158822764327253_490938622849408274_n.jpg 285131859_10158822764382253_1618874598402963261_n.jpg 284662212_10158822764197253_2721393650923352481_n.jpg

I also had a very pleasing bonus of one of the slightly bigger crucians.

Millers Crucian.jpg

All on the pole at around 10mtrs, mainly on double red maggot or caster but the 4:13 fell to a "durable" Robin Red pellet.

I’ve been setting up a friend to restart coarse fishing as he has just retired. He fished his first session for 40 years on a local commercial this week and with a little guidance had roach and rudd all day, best about 8oz. He obviously had half an idea when he was a youth….

Today I set him up tench fishing on another local pit and he had 10 on float fished corn - best about 41/2, maybe 5lb. Fantastic stuff. He’s a natural !

We’ve managed to fit in a few sessions in on the little lake. Once again we fished the shallow snaggy side.
Once again the carp payed us a visit the biggest falling to Nathan 10.4, he’s a jammy so & so I don’t know where he gets it from. he had 3 tench aswell over are couple of sessions 4.14 3.10 & 2.12 the size of these fish are deceiving they look bigger than they are so we’re weighing all tench to get a feel for the size, we guess the weight before but we’re always wrong🤦🏻‍♂️
As for myself mostly small carp under 10lb I must say good fun in the snags,fish light at your peril.
This morning I set off again for a couple of hrs more carp and at last another tench 3.14 happy days

Attachments

• 103E14DD-0FBD-4C72-B345-213F02A58BD3.jpeg
    103E14DD-0FBD-4C72-B345-213F02A58BD3.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 2E333427-4D16-406B-81EA-48021F2EE02E.jpeg
    2E333427-4D16-406B-81EA-48021F2EE02E.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 3C8D33AA-0B71-41D9-B214-258083C0ADF9.jpeg
    3C8D33AA-0B71-41D9-B214-258083C0ADF9.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 97
  • AFFCB481-E2CD-4CDD-9F86-AFFC729FDA3E.jpeg
    AFFCB481-E2CD-4CDD-9F86-AFFC729FDA3E.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 103
Just home from something slightly different. Spent the past couple of days in the company of some of tench fishings royalty at a Tenchfishers get together at Bawburgh Lakes in Norfolk. What a place, if I lived closer I’d join the “syndicate”. It’s the home of Tench to nearly twelve pounds (possibly larger) bream to sixteen pounds and carp to forty plus. You know where my interest would be but would need to fish it regularly to learn it. I saw one chap rake for over three hours with a casting rake his chosen swim was so weedy. My swim did not have a weed problem but alas I didn’t catch but thankfully out of thirty-five anglers spread over three lakes not many did. Apparently it’s not fishing well at the moment but the fish-in was arranged months ago. I say I didn’t catch! Not strictly true, I did get two Anguilla Anguilla over two pound a piece which bent my rod but truthfully I could have done without them. I could have fished ‘till tomorrow (Sunday) but the forecast for Norwich is grim and I HATE packing up in the rain. Had I been catching I might have swallowed and stayed on but didn’t and home now.
I’m beginning to think rivers now and can see the end of my Tenching but not just yet, I’m being guested at a Medway Valley lake on Tuesday thru’ to Wednesday, at Sywell with the Tenchfishers next weekend and the Kent Region Tenchfishers fish-in the following weekend. Watch this space!

Found myself at the little club lake for a few hrs this morning, I was trying out a home made nutty type bait,
For a carp trip with my other son 👍
People have told me that the tench won’t take nuts! It proved not to be the case managed a 3.4 tench😬
Are there any other baits tench don’t eat🤣

Attachments

• 049DB39B-19E1-494A-82CE-54DC3213CA7E.jpeg
    049DB39B-19E1-494A-82CE-54DC3213CA7E.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 110
My local yesterday total wipeout, not a touch. Didn’t see any fish activity in 9hours fishing. Talking to others, just the odd bream being caught. A little bored of the place now. Having a reconnaissance tonight with a friend. On our new Thames book water. Maybe one more stillwater before the 16th.
Has anyone fished Bishops Bowl for Tench?

Just home from 24hour guest session on Larky 2 which is part of SWS Fisheries complex at Snodland in Kent. It backs onto The Railway Lake which some of you may have heard of and is part of the same complex of lakes. Regret nothing of note to report, weather was grim, rained a lot, and didn’t catch anything! My new Cyprinus Storm bivvy had its second outing and got to say I like it. Interesting lake which if SWS offers a spring ticket to Tenchfishers members again next year I may well have a go at it.

Just home from 24hour guest session on Larky 2 which is part of SWS Fisheries complex at Snodland in Kent. It backs onto The Railway Lake which some of you may have heard of and is part of the same complex of lakes. Regret nothing of note to report, weather was grim, rained a lot, and didn’t catch anything! My new Cyprinus Storm bivvy had its second outing and got to say I like it. Interesting lake which if SWS offers a spring ticket to Tenchfishers members again next year I may well have a go at it.
Wow, nostalgia strikes.

I fished Larkfield 2 in the early 90’s and The Railway before that. Lots of good memories including my first ever 9 from Larkfield (on a cockle) and my first 30lb carp from The Railway (on a mixer).

Got back yesterday from another Tenchfishers weekend this I’m at Sywell Reservoir in Northamptonshire. What a place, grass on the banks, no litter and ground you can push rod rests in without getting a hernia 🤣 I fished the “north arm” on the east bank with a very strong southwest wind blowing in from my left. Another miserable blank to report I’m afraid, only two Tench caught to 35 anglers but an experience (except the wind) I enjoyed. If fuel prices permit I’ll be putting my name down for next year for another tilt at it. One more Tenchfishers weekend to go now, I’m at Mid Kent Fisheries next weekend and after that I see my Tench season ending but who knows ? 🤣

Blanked last weekend but today went well.
5 Tench , 1st and best went 8lb 4oz then 8lb 1oz , 7lb 3oz smallest 5lb
From midday to 6pm
Some not best looking condition ?
Great sport on simple rig using pineapple and corn baits on barbel rods.
Wonderful afternoon.
Excellent size of fish Mark. Go well on a Barbel rod don’t they ? Well caught Sir.

Got back yesterday from another Tenchfishers weekend this I’m at Sywell Reservoir in Northamptonshire. What a place, grass on the banks, no litter and ground you can push rod rests in without getting a hernia 🤣 I fished the “north arm” on the east bank with a very strong southwest wind blowing in from my left. Another miserable blank to report I’m afraid, only two Tench caught to 35 anglers but an experience (except the wind) I enjoyed. If fuel prices permit I’ll be putting my name down for next year for another tilt at it. One more Tenchfishers weekend to go now, I’m at Mid Kent Fisheries next weekend and after that I see my Tench season ending but who knows ? 🤣
Only 2 from 35 anglers. That's brutal Bill.

Only 2 from 35 anglers. That's brutal Bill.
There were far better anglers than me struggling Michael. The rangers stopped for a chat and said that not a lot had been caught for a week or so! Mind you the impact of 35 anglers all raking, spodding and casting is enough to put most things to flight. Lovely place though.

Back