• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that should never comeback or.....

I can`t believe I once bought one of these, though I was just 10.
I understand the dinky collectors can go nuts for them nowadays ........
I love the slogan on the box, however, it has been my motto ever since.

Ditto myself at about the same age, Julian. Still have it, just wish it was in its original box - be worth a bomb as opposed to just a few bob.

newark needle float and pin weights........enough said :rolleyes:

I can`t believe I once bought one of these, though I was just 10.
I understand the dinky collectors can go nuts for them nowadays ........
I love the slogan on the box, however, it has been my motto ever since.

Hehaaaay...I remember those :D

I also remember a very much larger press, with bolts and wing nuts all round the perimeter, a bit like an old tennis racket press. (I think the body plates were wood/ply). You had to cut the whole side crusts off of a large tinned loaf, about three quarters of an inch thick (so you had a fair bit of white as well)...soak them, then place them in the press and Squeeeeze. The whole thing was left overnight, then the resulting compressed bread was cut into squares of any size desired.

It made a tough, excellent hook bait, for trotting or legering, using liquidised or dried and ground bread as feed. By eck...that brings back some memories :D

Cheers, Dave.

Are you sure those were not flower presses Dave? They often turn up in bootsales and charity shops, next time I see one I'm having it, at the moment I use a couple of bits of old floorboard clamped in my vice for the same job. (Not that I've done much pressed bread fishing recently).

They were, Adrian, and a lovely, fragrant (slightly patchouli), Salisbury Cathedral Close, hippie chick of the early 1970s got hers well and truly "borrowed" by a guy she knew who also had designs on local roach...

Hi men ,

I see the old monkey climbers raised their heads :D. For a couple of years I made the stainless systems for Leslies of Luton . The needle bars systems were top of the range , but even with our PTFE bobbins were not that reliable . A bit of grit would see them jam on the needle , and a resulting strike would rip them out the floor !!:D:D:D:D.

I had loads of these systems , along with the screw apart bobbins in my garage , and slowly gave them away . I went over to a type of " Stow " indicator ( 25 years later Korda have them ) , but i know someone who still swears by them :eek: .

Hatter

I had a super-mean aunt and uncle in Lincolnshire who bought me the very worst of the worst of the above when I was still a toddler - rod in solid metal (barely thicker than coathanger wire), plastic ferrules, plastic rings, plastic baitcaster-shape handle and tiny, plastic, non-multiplying multiplier-shaped reel. Disgusted by the thing, I managed to make the right noises at the skinflint pair, then retired to the back garden with it, attached a little ball of wool from my Ma's sewing basket to the end of the line, then fished with it for our cat that was hidden in the shade of a flowerbed. Out she came, grabbed the wool, rod bent double, stayed bent, then snapped above the red plastic handle. And so to the nearby dustbin...

I had one of those too! I used it once only because the 40lb breaking strain braided line cut through the plastic top ring !

Hi men ,

I see the old monkey climbers raised their heads :D. For a couple of years I made the stainless systems for Leslies of Luton . The needle bars systems were top of the range , but even with our PTFE bobbins were not that reliable . A bit of grit would see them jam on the needle , and a resulting strike would rip them out the floor !!:D:D:D:D.

I had loads of these systems , along with the screw apart bobbins in my garage , and slowly gave them away . I went over to a type of " Stow " indicator ( 25 years later Korda have them ) , but i know someone who still swears by them :eek: .

Hatter

I'm sure if I were to turn my garage out I would find the monkey climbers I made from old disposable lighters, the opaque rectangular two chamber type. They were light enough to use for slack-line fishing, you could pop an isotope in the void where the gas used to be and I can't remember them ever sticking on the needles.
I might just dig them out again.

Hi men,

After chatting to K Maddox one day I hit the wine making store buying loads of diff colour bottle tops. tops cut off to make a tube, skit cut for the line , loads of megga cheap monkeys. Umbrella spokes for needles, ultra cult :D

Hatter

Ultra something Mark, not sure you spelt it correctly though:D:D:D:D:D

Its a shame you don't have any of them left, i was playing with my monkey climber only the other day (ooeerrr) thinking i could do with some new ones.

Are you both well?

Hi men,

Tom , your a bad man :D . Both alive and kicking . No spare monkeys anymore , as we have been using Matrix ball clips , screwed into PTFE balls !!!, how about that then ?, they get some remarks !.

Hatter

Balls

If you open a can of John Smiths smooth flow you will find a lovely opaque hard plastic sphere which I've been using as a bobbin when fishing the 'long drop big meat' on my sleeper rod.
If you poke a hole in it with a drill or hot rod you can insert a disposable night light into it and the plastic defuses the light beautifully which as it rises majestically makes a fantastic unmissable indicator. I've been using hair grips for the line clip but would like to find something which looks a bit more professional, any suggestions?

Professional? You describe a garage full of home made bits 'n bobs and you want professional? Come on Ade, stick to your principals man and use a plastic clothes peg.

For that final touch you could even put a bell on it.:)

Incidentally, my 2" painted dowel bobbins with map pins for line clips and a bent over curtain hook for retaining line, caught me shed loads as bobbins and drop offs for pike.

Hi men

Or those reels with bitealams built into the baitrunner system :D , coppied by a mate who glued a couple of isotopes to his spools :D.

I also had a play around with a system that used the needle bar and matching bobbin with pick ups to show a bite as it moved up or down ???!

Hatter

Hi men

I also had a play around with a system that used the needle bar and matching bobbin with pick ups to show a bite as it moved up or down ???!

Hatter

I had a set of those mate, the needle bars were stainless tubes and they had reed switches running up the center about an inch apart, the bobbins were magnets and as they passed the reed switch they made the circuit and sounded the buzzer.
They were pants and I flogged them when I could afford my first set of fox buzzers.

Back