• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that should never comeback or.....

Adam Ditchburn

After a thread I started "tackle that should come back" it did revert to what was bad about older/retro tackle....just wondered after a bit of cabin fever over the last few weeks.........on to the lakes soon.

What old tackle should never comeback, new tackle or should never started

I will start with where I left off NW - Northwestern bivvy because

a - Got ribbed for a long while from the tackle shop groupies when I was 18
b -Just about windproof and waterproof over a wavelock umbrella.
c- It cost £75.00 over 20 years ago.
d – I kept it far too long, and spent far too long in fairly fishless Dorchester on the ARC ticket, the old Orchid lake, Dorchester lagoon....over to you Phil Smith......Queenford !.........it put me off fishing for years that and women and alcohol.

Fox baitrunners !!!!

After a thread I started "tackle that should come back" it did revert to what was bad about older/retro tackle....just wondered after a bit of cabin fever over the last few weeks.........on to the lakes soon.

What old tackle should never comeback, new tackle or should never started

I will start with where I left off NW - Northwestern bivvy because

a - Got ribbed for a long while from the tackle shop groupies when I was 18
b -Just about windproof and waterproof over a wavelock umbrella.
c- It cost £75.00 over 20 years ago.
d – I kept it far too long, and spent far too long in fairly fishless Dorchester on the ARC ticket, the old Orchid lake, Dorchester lagoon....over to you Phil Smith......Queenford !.........it put me off fishing for years that and women and alcohol.

I can understand how your bivvy put you off fishing for a while....but it must have been something else to have put you off women and alcohol as well :eek:

Only kidding Adam :D

Cheers, Dave.

Ha ha I know you are joking Dave, sorry what I meant was alcohol and women distracted me for a while........far too long.
Clive I was anticipating the fox bashing at least a few down.

Last edited:
Not particulary barbelesque this but anybody remember those cheap and nasty Mustad hooks that places like gun and tackle shops sold in the '80's? They were as sharp as Trigger with a barb bigger than the devils trident and straightened out on contact with water. Truly awful. RIP

These are not barbelesque either.....monkey climbers. What a complete waste of everyones time and effort trying to get them lined up against the rods or the flimsy stainless steel shafts into hard ground! Again, RIP!

"with a barb bigger than the devils trident and straightened out on contact with water".

Julian, that is hilarious!!!! :D:D:D

One thing that I bought that left me aghast was Sufix 'Magic Touch' hooklink. It's fit only for using as a replacement strimmer wire for the gardening. I'd be amazed if anyone has ever caught on it?

I always keep a spare spool in the boot of the car. It acts as quite a compact tow rope.

Last edited:
These are not barbelesque either.....monkey climbers. What a complete waste of everyones time and effort trying to get them lined up against the rods or the flimsy stainless steel shafts into hard ground! Again, RIP!

These already have made a comeback: Solar bought some out a few years ago called Cheeky Monkeys. Not quite the original thing, more, a late noughties remix version.

Not particulary barbelesque this but anybody remember those cheap and nasty Mustad hooks that places like gun and tackle shops sold in the '80's? They were as sharp as Trigger with a barb bigger than the devils trident and straightened out on contact with water. Truly awful. RIP

Yes I remember the hooks and I think it was some sundridge hooks that straightened if you hooked anything over 1 lb.

Monkey climbers, I found some Gardner climbers the other day maybe if I put retro on the subject on ebay they may go for a fair amount.

matrix!
century do em as well.

Ah yes, so it was. At the time when they came out I was looking for a similar alternative and got some ridiculously cheap ones off the bay. Still using them when ever I go light with the two rods and bite alarms set up.

the late 80`s nash stiff black rig tube it was about 1 ft long in solid black plastic with a bead and snap link for you zipp lead you attached it to a swivel with silicone tubing i`m positive when you cast out it stuck up off the bottom warning the carp where your hook bait was .
the local tackle shop also used to sell us black spider dacron in meter lengths proberly about20lb breaking strain 10 inch of this was attached to those mustard rod hutchy hooks( with the mighty barb ) they used to come in a box with an orange sticker

the fact we caught anything with that lot was amazing and the monkey climbers didn`t help

Tackle that should never come back........

Any Fox reel apparently, but plenty do, said the tackle shop owner....

Yep gotta agree with those bait droppers - total pants! Also the FS7000 baitrunners and predator spoon net complete with plastic spreader block.

Why do certain tackle companies only perform real product stress testing on their customers???

fox hooks, total carp they are!
anything in the daiwa infinity range,except the rods!, still around, should go and never come back,cheap nash bite alarms.

Last edited:
Tank aerial rods , 'boys' fishing kits , [you know the ones with the 4 foot solid glass rod and plastic reel ].Black Prince reels , those little metal shot dispensers with sliding lids always spilled everywhere , ' fishing Gazette ' pike bung floats . In the more modern era , deffo the fox baitdropper , mine broke whilst still in the packaging :)

Tank aerial rods , 'boys' fishing kits , [you know the ones with the 4 foot solid glass rod and plastic reel]

I had a super-mean aunt and uncle in Lincolnshire who bought me the very worst of the worst of the above when I was still a toddler - rod in solid metal (barely thicker than coathanger wire), plastic ferrules, plastic rings, plastic baitcaster-shape handle and tiny, plastic, non-multiplying multiplier-shaped reel. Disgusted by the thing, I managed to make the right noises at the skinflint pair, then retired to the back garden with it, attached a little ball of wool from my Ma's sewing basket to the end of the line, then fished with it for our cat that was hidden in the shade of a flowerbed. Out she came, grabbed the wool, rod bent double, stayed bent, then snapped above the red plastic handle. And so to the nearby dustbin...

I can`t believe I once bought one of these, though I was just 10.
I understand the dinky collectors can go nuts for them nowadays ........
I love the slogan on the box, however, it has been my motto ever since.

Attachments

• bit prerss.jpg
    bit prerss.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Back