• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that should never comeback or.....

Hi men,

Ade, I sat with someone who had them set at the top to show a dropback bite, only after the first blistering run did he realise that that was a mistake , I had to point out his reel was in overdrive with no noise !!!:D

I also had the very first set of Fox alarms in the country . I wanted to use them on Horseshoe in one of the first big carp matches . Before I got there they packed up strait away :(:eek: . After a major complaint , and pointing out to Fox that it would look very poor in a big event . Fair play to Mr Fox , he lent me his own for the event , and untill my new ones arrived !!!!

Hatter

fibre glass rods by them, didn't they do a alpha blue or something, terrible.

Yes I was that soldier..my first rod was a Alpha match in a sky blue, I think it had a blue hyperlon handle and a lined tip and butt ring, it was hideous thinking about it now, but to an early eighties 12 year it was the best rod and only rod I had....I even caught a 10 lb pike on it.

heavy as well wasn't it,
they did a cracking carbon version i think around 87, that was a good rod.

I watched in horror this morning as some old guy set up a rod with a swing tip on it and then proceeded to catch lots of tench with it.................. pure luck i thought to myself LOL

heavy as well wasn't it,
they did a cracking carbon version i think around 87, that was a good rod.

Yes compared with a shakey omni x 10' rod I bought my 7 year old son ( £8 on ebay!), used it the other day on a commercial he caught a few off the top with floating crust, it peformed well........I wonder how he would have done with the alpha.

Had a rod when I was a kid (can't remember the make) which had whole cane bottom two sections, and a green, solid glass top section. Problem was, 50% of the time when you cast, the fibreglass tip section followed your rig out :D

We still had a lot of fun back then though, didn't we :p

Cheers, Dave.

As we get older and normally can afford more expensive /desirable tackle- do we have more fun? Still remember the excitement at having a Mitchell 300 reel in 1981!!

As we get older and normally can afford more expensive /desirable tackle- do we have more fun? Still remember the excitement at having a Mitchell 300 reel in 1981!!
i had to save up all year to get 440 match and then i needed help to buy it:eek:

the players no.6 coupons paid for my first reel of mom n dad a mitchel 306 for carping which i still treasure today as its outlasted even them n their wildestest dreams and its still mine to treasure. god bless em.:(

I would have to say cheap 80s plastic reels (Silstar springs to mind) and those with the chrome bail arms you could pop out..they were a bit naff quality wise...the sort you could buy from the pet shop in a kit. My old DAM reel I got as a boy is still with me, but is retired now for sentimental reasons. I remember it came with bright green fishing line!

I have the strangest feeling that the line used to eventually wear a groove into the bail arm as the metal was so low quality...

Back