• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle reviews

Korum ITM Compact Ruckbag- Not very impressed. I needed a smaller bag, I fish a section of the Severn that involves quite a long walk. So, wanted a smaller bag, more suited to long walks and roving. I used it about 5 times before it started to fall apart, the bag ripped down the seam by the fixing point for the strap. One of the zips also broke. Korum customer service was not brilliant. I know these bags are popular, but I shall be avoiding their luggage from now. Currently looking for a suitable replacement.

Cadence CS5 Reel- I had read lots of positive things about Cadence, and I am really impressed with this reel. At the time of purchase they were running a buy one get one free offer on all reels. So, I had 2 CS5 reels for £50. At £25 a reel, the value is exceptional. Very smooth, great drag and just a nice thing to use. I loaded one with drennan floatfish, and have been using it as my go-to chub/barbel float reel. The other, as my light feeder reel when targeting roach. A truly fantastic product.
Agree William,Cadence are really nice products - I did the same last year and ordered 2 x CS5 on a BOGOF and when I got the delivery they sent the CS10 in error😁😁 👍. They will get some stick again this winter( floods allowing)

Agree William,Cadence are really nice products - I did the same last year and ordered 2 x CS5 on a BOGOF and when I got the delivery they sent the CS10 in error😁😁 👍. They will get some stick again this winter( floods allowing)

Yes, I am really pleased with them. I have been looking at the Cadence 15ft float rods, I think that will be my next purchase.

Advanta Protector Quick-Cradle XL

I have been using one of these this year and have found it very good especially for Barbel as it is 1.2 metres long, bit more expensive than many unhooking mats but I feel well worth the extra, well made and closes up nicely.

BERKLEY LINE STRIPPER

As I have a lot of reels both in my collection and those that I sell, this very simple to use gadget is indispensable. It was recommended to me by Brian Wilson and it is absolutely brilliant for removing line in an extremely short time from both centrepins,fixed spools and multipliers. It saves all that pulling off line by hand business that seems to go on and on. On deeper spools you may have to pull by hand the last lengths of line but overall it is great, I wouldn't do without it.
I think I paid about £8 for mine and I believe you may still get them for under a tenner.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 213
Korum ITM Compact Ruckbag- Not very impressed.
That’s a real shame. I have one of the original roving ruckbags probably 10 or more years old. One zip jumped its tracks a couple times but other than that it’s done some serious mileage flawlessly.
Korum obviously reducing costs nowadays like a lot of them. Real shame!
I’d say look for a second hand older model because they really were the nuts and so durable back then.

That’s a real shame. I have one of the original roving ruckbags probably 10 or more years old. One zip jumped its tracks a couple times but other than that it’s done some serious mileage flawlessly.
I’d say look for a second hand older model because they really were the nuts and so durable back then.

Completely agree. I picked up one of the originals from eBay, and quite happily paid near enough RRP despite the fact its 10 years old. Cannot fault it at all, bomb proof.

Completely agree. I picked up one of the originals from eBay, and quite happily paid near enough RRP despite the fact its 10 years old. Cannot fault it at all, bomb proof.

As a matter of interest, how do you tell the difference between the older version Ruckbag and newer, are there any visible changes, or is it just quality of production .

I ask because about 3 or 4 years ago I bought one that was described as "Old Stock" , seems fine , no issues at all with it.

I mainly use an older Korum Bait and Bits bag that I bought of here from the classifieds, I have adapted it somewhat by putting both carrying "D " clip holders onto one side and making a top closure instead of the velcro, which is just useless. This is a decent decent sized bag with inherent design flaws from the outset, easily rectified though, makes me wonder who actually has any imput into the designs, are they actually anglers, or just some twerp who says this is what I think will do, complete with any ideas that will cut production costs. The latter I think.

David

As a matter of interest, how do you tell the difference between the older version Ruckbag and newer, are there any visible changes, or is it just quality of production .

I ask because about 3 or 4 years ago I bought one that was described as "Old Stock" , seems fine , no issues at all with it.

I mainly use an older Korum Bait and Bits bag that I bought of here from the classifieds, I have adapted it somewhat by putting both carrying "D " clip holders onto one side and making a top closure instead of the velcro, which is just useless. This is a decent decent sized bag with inherent design flaws from the outset, easily rectified though, makes me wonder who actually has any imput into the designs, are they actually anglers, or just some twerp who says this is what I think will do, complete with any ideas that will cut production costs. The latter I think.

David
I don’t know all the differences but the older Korum stuff was a lighter green colour. The newer stuff is a darker more olive green.
I don’t know what the quality differences are if any. I always thought it was good gear even now.
Mine is one of the very very first ones that came out. Past it’s best now mind.

Yes, unfortunately it is quite a poor product . I presume that's what has happened, the quality of their luggage has gone down.

Which is a shame, the dimensions of it, the layout and pockets perfectly suited my needs. Just a shame it has fallen to bits after a few uses.

I know NGT stuff sometimes gets a bashing, and rightly so! 😅

However, I have to say their tackle box and 4 bit box package that you can get for £10 is superb. It houses all the bits I need for long or short sessions, I only use 2 of the bit boxes but nice to have a couple spare. Even has room for a few drop shot bits n pieces.

The other thing is, it is an exceptionally good fit in the front pocket of the Saber rucksack I have (which is also a great piece of luggage).

I know NGT stuff sometimes gets a bashing, and rightly so! 😅

However, I have to say their tackle box and 4 bit box package that you can get for £10 is superb. It houses all the bits I need for long or short sessions, I only use 2 of the bit boxes but nice to have a couple spare. Even has room for a few drop shot bits n pieces.

The other thing is, it is an exceptionally good fit in the front pocket of the Saber rucksack I have (which is also a great piece of luggage).

I have the NGT XPR TERMINAL TACKLE BOX magnetic closing box and I love it, brilliant for keeping all those small terminal bits available. For about £12 its a steal.

I think their tackle boxes are excellent vfm and generally good enough quality for what I need
I’d trash Korda stuff at x3 the cost just the same

Back