• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle reviews

I’ve got the compact version. It’s not spent enough time on the bank to justify my opinion but Paul seems to of covered it very nicely.
I did think the locking parts on the legs could of done with been a bit more grippy. Mine don’t take much pressure at all to slide them when locked up.

Avid Lock Down Buzz Pod

I bought one of these at the start of the season, as i'm not a fan of 'pods' and needed something a little sturdier than single sticks for alot of my early season fishing, as ive suffered with twisting sticks on takes etc before.

This is simply a buzz bar with 3 screw points, the central locking either straight, or 45degrees. The 2 wider points being splayed and locking straight out.

I have added 2 prologic quick release clips to the outer 2 points to aid removal of the storm sticks for transports, the central one stays locked on, with alarms etc in situ.

Proved a very useful addition to my gear this year, and very happy. There was a little play in the bar from the central boss, remedied with a touch of araldite and some tape to prevent any further twist, and now offers a very solid, no twist platform to fish from.

Easier to transport as the sticks fit in my quiver and less than 20 quid.

Recommended.

Attachments

• 20200903_154412.jpg
    20200903_154412.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 20200903_154358.jpg
    20200903_154358.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 359
Avid Lock Down Buzz Pod

I bought one of these at the start of the season, as i'm not a fan of 'pods' and needed something a little sturdier than single sticks for alot of my early season fishing, as ive suffered with twisting sticks on takes etc before.

This is simply a buzz bar with 3 screw points, the central locking either straight, or 45degrees. The 2 wider points being splayed and locking straight out.

I have added 2 prologic quick release clips to the outer 2 points to aid removal of the storm sticks for transports, the central one stays locked on, with alarms etc in situ.

Proved a very useful addition to my gear this year, and very happy. There was a little play in the bar from the central boss, remedied with a touch of araldite and some tape to prevent any further twist, and now offers a very solid, no twist platform to fish from.

Recommended.
I need one of these, what size bank sticks?

Avid Lock Down Buzz Pod

Recommended.
Remember when they brought them out , great idea

Avid Lock Down Buzz Pod

Recommended.
What size buzz bar did you get

I’ve a few items marketed by NGT, mainly tackle boxes but have some of their leads and general bits ‘n’ pieces and found them to be good and fairly priced but I recently bought the NGT Bait Crusher grinder thingy. I don’t want to grind down vast amounts of baits but unfortunately my Korda Krusher is difficult for me to use due to arthritis in the hands. The NGT was delivered and I duely loaded it with about 18 x 15mm boilies, not rock hard but hard, two turns of the handle and one mighty “crack” and the dam thing is now broken and useless ! Now this is not my main gripe, I sent a message via the contact page on the NGT website, heard nothing for a week so sent another message via the same contact page. It’s now 2 weeks and heard absolutely nothing so if you are considering buying one of these contraptions...DON’T...save your money, and if anyone knows anybody at NGT tell them that their after sales service and customer care stinks! Why have a contact service if you are going to ignore it ? I’m afraid this experience has severely clouded my views of buying NGT in the future.

8B9AD540-E89A-480E-BE5E-350797DF5C49.jpeg0B1DCB83-F0A2-4F47-B3A9-E4D6A81CBE45.jpegD344AAF8-201D-4F6D-97DA-1A7B8D0EED03.jpeg

I’ve a few items marketed by NGT, mainly tackle boxes but have some of their leads and general bits ‘n’ pieces and found them to be good and fairly priced but I recently bought the NGT Bait Crusher grinder thingy. I don’t want to grind down vast amounts of baits but unfortunately my Korda Krusher is difficult for me to use due to arthritis in the hands. The NGT was delivered and I duely loaded it with about 18 x 15mm boilies, not rock hard but hard, two turns of the handle and one mighty “crack” and the dam thing is now broken and useless ! Now this is not my main gripe, I sent a message via the contact page on the NGT website, heard nothing for a week so sent another message via the same contact page. It’s now 2 weeks and heard absolutely nothing so if you are considering buying one of these contraptions...DON’T...save your money, and if anyone knows anybody at NGT tell them that their after sales service and customer care stinks! Why have a contact service if you are going to ignore it ? I’m afraid this experience has severely clouded my views of buying NGT in the future.

View attachment 12147View attachment 12148View attachment 12149
That review is noted Bill👍. Thanks for the warning.

I have a similar gripe about Dinsmore bait droppers. It went like this: First load up with feed and it was cast to the desired spot. I let it drop to unload etc. I then retrieved the dropper and noticed that the dropper 'door' had fallen off rendering it useless. 'Luckily' I'd purchased a spare. The very same thing happened ...again first drop down. Useless junk. Due to other commitments I haven't had time to drive the 10 miles to the retailer to get my money back. However, this is not my only disappointment with Dinsmore droppers. Never again. Can anyone recommend a quality bait dropper to purchase?

I have a similar gripe about Dinsmore bait droppers. It went like this: First load up with feed and it was cast to the desired spot. I let it drop to unload etc. I then retrieved the dropper and noticed that the dropper 'door' had fallen off rendering it useless. 'Luckily' I'd purchased a spare. The very same thing happened ...again first drop down. Useless junk. Due to other commitments I haven't had time to drive the 10 miles to the retailer to get my money back. However, this is not my only disappointment with Dinsmore droppers. Never again. Can anyone recommend a quality bait dropper to purchase?

And it's a widely experienced issue as well, but one that's easily sorted by tying it on with a string loop on braid. It still falls off but you get it back.

Still very good droppers compared with others on the market, I was pleased when Dinsmore started making them as I was down to my last couple of Thamesleys.

I'm not sure if I'll ever use the Dinsmore/Thamesley again though after using the mini 2oz spoppers @RichardIsaacs adapted for me. They are brilliant...they fly like darts and make far less disturbance than the Dinsmore /Thamesley droppers, they also hold a bit more too. I don't think there will be another item of tackle i will purchase this year or next that will make more of a positive difference to my fishing. Thanks again Richard!

I enjoy thinking about not just my angling, but the whole 'prepping' of it, and part of that is little bits that make my life as an angler, and experience of each session easier and more efficient. I like to keep my kit to a minimum, without compromising on things, and as i fish for different species, often on the same, or consecutive days, in very short windows this becomes more important to me.

I bought one of these 'Thinking Anglers Multi Straps' a couple of weeks ago, so i wasn't lugging a half filled quiver about for a couple of hours here and there, and have used it on short Zander sessions on an evening, and must say although incredibly simple, it really is brilliant and effective.

Will get an awful lot of use this winter as i trek to different areas of the tidal Trent inaccessible by car.

Two velcro ends that wrap around 2 rods, a storm stick and landing net handle. Perfect.

10/10 for me.

Few on eBay, less than a tenner.

Attachments

• 20200912_163733.jpg
    20200912_163733.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 20200912_163755.jpg
    20200912_163755.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 20200912_163815.jpg
    20200912_163815.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200912_163830.jpg
    20200912_163830.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 348

View attachment 12147View attachment 12148View attachment 12149
That’s why it stands for Not Good Tackle 😂

And it's a widely experienced issue as well, but one that's easily sorted by tying it on with a string loop on braid. It still falls off but you get it back.

Still very good droppers compared with others on the market, I was pleased when Dinsmore started making them as I was down to my last couple of Thamesleys.

I'm not sure if I'll ever use the Dinsmore/Thamesley again though after using the mini 2oz spoppers @RichardIsaacs adapted for me. They are brilliant...they fly like darts and make far less disturbance than the Dinsmore /Thamesley droppers, they also hold a bit more too. I don't think there will be another item of tackle i will purchase this year or next that will make more of a positive difference to my fishing. Thanks again Richard!
I’ve got a kodex dropper, cheap and reliable 👍

[/QUO
A

[/QUOTE
Ady - the spoppers that Eddie Bray made and are now available on the BFW shop are excellent
I've just had a week on the Wye and mine got a lot of use and abuse and performed faultlessly and very accurate
Really well engineered product and holds a good amount of bait when you fill it correctly

I'd like to endorse the Gardner extending landing net handle. 3 mtr in length tough as old boots simple uncomplicated design won't lock open or closed liken the Drennen I've had mine 3 years still going strong I don't have to clean it after use I also don't buy into the "it's heavy" comments unless your unwell its an easy carry for me the next best think after the powerstretch.

I enjoy thinking about not just my angling, but the whole 'prepping' of it, and part of that is little bits that make my life as an angler, and experience of each session easier and more efficient. I like to keep my kit to a minimum, without compromising on things, and as i fish for different species, often on the same, or consecutive days, in very short windows this becomes more important to me.

I bought one of these 'Thinking Anglers Multi Straps' a couple of weeks ago, so i wasn't lugging a half filled quiver about for a couple of hours here and there, and have used it on short Zander sessions on an evening, and must say although incredibly simple, it really is brilliant and effective.

Will get an awful lot of use this winter as i trek to different areas of the tidal Trent inaccessible by car.

Two velcro ends that wrap around 2 rods, a storm stick and landing net handle. Perfect.

10/10 for me.

Great choice of reels

10/10 for me.

Cheers for this, my quest to go even lighter has taken another turn...ordered. 👍

Korum ITM Compact Ruckbag- Not very impressed. I needed a smaller bag, I fish a section of the Severn that involves quite a long walk. So, wanted a smaller bag, more suited to long walks and roving. I used it about 5 times before it started to fall apart, the bag ripped down the seam by the fixing point for the strap. One of the zips also broke. Korum customer service was not brilliant. I know these bags are popular, but I shall be avoiding their luggage from now. Currently looking for a suitable replacement.

Cadence CS5 Reel- I had read lots of positive things about Cadence, and I am really impressed with this reel. At the time of purchase they were running a buy one get one free offer on all reels. So, I had 2 CS5 reels for £50. At £25 a reel, the value is exceptional. Very smooth, great drag and just a nice thing to use. I loaded one with drennan floatfish, and have been using it as my go-to chub/barbel float reel. The other, as my light feeder reel when targeting roach. A truly fantastic product.

Back