• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Strange Hookbaits....

in 1961 we fished either 3 big lob worms on a big hook of if you could nick some of mums sausages and fry them up chunks of them I used to cycle to the open air swimming pool at Sunbury and fish the Thames in front of it there used to be a hot spot there you had to hold your rod all the time or you would lose it the takes were so ferocious happy days so long ago now

I had a carp of 9lb on Hawthorne berries off the back of my nan and grandads boat where it was permanently moored, obviously there was a Hawthorne tree present, my grandad reckoned the fish might have got used to the berries falling in and started feeding on them. Which makes sense🤔. Who would've thought eh?

I had a carp of 9lb on Hawthorne berries off the back of my nan and grandads boat where it was permanently moored, obviously there was a Hawthorne tree present, my grandad reckoned the fish might have got used to the berries falling in and started feeding on them. Which makes sense🤔. Who would've thought eh?
Actually it's quite common for fish to eat berries, Roach snaffle elder berries in the Autumn, fish are catholic in what they eat, which really makes this thread a bit redundant ....a lot of boilies mimic berries, chocolate, and even bananas, what this thread does is make us think beyond what the bait companies would like us to think.

My (limited) understanding of fish behaviour is, like babies, they will try anything in their mouth to see if it is edible or not. Therefore anything could be a potential bait. I think Rod Hutchinson used black jelliebabies to mimic frog spawn. My first fish on the Royalty was taken on a bare bright gold hook trotting to ensure I had the correct depth to avoid bottom weed. Catfish have been known to take footballs and one angler reported catching a carp on a floating rhododenren leaf when it was taking other surface leaves and rejecting bread and floaters. Another angler caught a pike on his pike bung float by fitting a treble to it when a pike kept attacking the float and ignoring the livebait below. I have even seen carp taking cigarette butts and blossom and caught carp on potato! I would not fish with leaves or cigarettes because obviously some baits are better than others - but I might just try a marble to see what happens on a prolific barbel stretch! Some of todays normal baits were yesteryears unusual (or unknown) baits and many anglers have forgotten old baits such as bread, cheese and minnows. I think factors for the fish include curiosity, availability, taste and nutritional value. On one stretch the best bait is chips from the local Chippy because so many people throw a chip or two over the nearby bridge to feed the fish! If you can eat it so can they and sometimes changing the hookbait to something more unusual can bring an instant response when other baits have blown.

Couldn't believe it the other day whilst out Chubbing, with Breadflake, wen an 11lb Barbel took my bait. Breadflake was as big as 3 fingers together.👍

Had a few barbel on Nutrabaits Trigga, which contained god knows what. Goose sh*t and minced intestines would be my best guess.
I have caught carp on goose shit! Used freeline when I ran out of Wotsits while guesting a garden centre many moons ago.
Carrot also caught me 5 doubles one day.
Nothing really unusual for me as a barbel bait except I seem to catch more barbel recently when roach fishing!

I purchased some white pudding today from the local butchers. Obviously some surplus has been chucked in the freezer for bait trials ☺️
Has anybody else tried it?

Had a near 12lb Barbel on a huge piece of breadflake the other week😁

My (limited) understanding of fish behaviour is, like babies, they will try anything in their mouth to see if it is edible or not. Therefore anything could be a potential bait. I think Rod Hutchinson used black jelliebabies to mimic frog spawn. My first fish on the Royalty was taken on a bare bright gold hook trotting to ensure I had the correct depth to avoid bottom weed. Catfish have been known to take footballs and one angler reported catching a carp on a floating rhododenren leaf when it was taking other surface leaves and rejecting bread and floaters. Another angler caught a pike on his pike bung float by fitting a treble to it when a pike kept attacking the float and ignoring the livebait below. I have even seen carp taking cigarette butts and blossom and caught carp on potato! I would not fish with leaves or cigarettes because obviously some baits are better than others - but I might just try a marble to see what happens on a prolific barbel stretch! Some of todays normal baits were yesteryears unusual (or unknown) baits and many anglers have forgotten old baits such as bread, cheese and minnows. I think factors for the fish include curiosity, availability, taste and nutritional value. On one stretch the best bait is chips from the local Chippy because so many people throw a chip or two over the nearby bridge to feed the fish! If you can eat it so can they and sometimes changing the hookbait to something more unusual can bring an instant response when other baits have blown.
I fished the Ebro in Spain for Catfish a few years ago and the rigs have to be rowed out due to sizes and the guides were telling us about a group of Germans that came a few days before and were using a large baitboat to take the baits out when a big cat came up and just took the boat never to be seen again apparently it was worth a couple of grand !
next day one of our group had this 209lb catfish so there were some proper big ones there cat 209lb.jpg

Back