• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Strange Hookbaits....

Richard Garbett

I was chatting to someone fishing for Barbel on the Severn today, noticed a very strange looking item on the hair rig, a large chunk of chipshop battered sausage! He assured me that if it's meat based it will catch Barbel.
I certainly don't doubt that, but it made me smile😀
Virtually all the Barbel I used to catch were on Luncheon meat or Peperami. (Maggot and caster the rest of time)
Are there any unusual meat baits that anyone else uses?

There's a butchers shop near where I work that makes their own sausage rolls, during the summer I often have my dinner at the side of the upper River Dearne watching the chub and barbel in the shallows. I started flicking sections of the still warm sausage rolls with the pastry still intact and got a very quick response with fish moving upstream and feeding greedily.
This stretch is very short and really poor access but I have fished it a couple of times and caught both times. Since then though the roadside bank has been reinforced with sheet piling and access is almost impossible without a ladder, overhanging trees have been removed by the EA and unfortunately the fish seem to have moved on.

I have had some good success using Chorizo. Because its quite tough, it doesn't get chipped away by small fish, which sometimes happens when i use spam. Its also very oily, which I think is a good thing. Whenever I am in the shop and see some reduced (the 'U' shaped sticks of Chorizo), I grab a couple. They last ages, as the meat is cured and smoked.

I think if they are really feeding, they will have pretty much anything. I saw a guy fishing in Bridgnorth, using chunks of chicken he brought from the kebab shop.

Back in the early 90's I used to fish the Great Ouse straight from work. I arrived at my swim after a bad 80 mile journey and 20 minute hike to find no bait in my rucksack. Looking through my kit I found a mars bar so decided to drill and hair rig a section. A Barbel about 9lb picked it up and wrapped the rod round, sadly it turned out to be my only bite of the evening. For a while I thought i had found a wonder bait,sadly it turned out not to be.

Have been eating these from Lidl for a while. Very tasty and I'm pretty sure they'd make a good Barbel bait. The mini ones are about 1" in diameter or the others are about the same size as a small thick hamburger.
Cheap too.

Hi men ,

Had a great season with chorizo balls on the hair , and through the winter they carried our paste wraps . Not really unusual as such , but they stayed on for days , and when the paste dissolved there was still attraction out there .

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men ,

Oddest bait was a cheese and pickle sarnie . Mashed down into a paste when I ran out completely , a brown mush was enough to catch me a tench 😋

Hatter

Hi men ,

Had a great season with chorizo balls on the hair , and through the winter they carried our paste wraps . Not really unusual as such , but they stayed on for days , and when the paste dissolved there was still attraction out there .

Hatter
Trouble with me using Chorizo is I'd be prone to eating my bait supply lol.

Nothing myself that I can remember, except the usual bits of sandwich bread which I think probably most of us have done at one time or another, however, a friend went one better and took a bit of tomato out of his sandwich and promptly caught a Tench on it .

David

Back