• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stranded Carpand Bream Upton Ham Meadows River Severn

It made the local TV news last night, worth a look on iPlayer (from 13:45). Not only have the guys saved a load of fish, but also managed to get anglers shown in a positive light – a rarity these days! Well done guys.

BBC iPlayer - Midlands Today: 08/05/2012

I was interested to see that the reason these particular fish got stranded was because they were seeking out shallower water for spawning.

Yep something positive for Anglers well done and thanks to everome involved in the rescue.

The report is 13.40 into the Midlands news for those that don't want to wade through all of it.

Just a question or two.

Nice work, desrves lots of credit for this... How many fish at an estimate would of been involved in the rescue?

Only Bream and Carp?

Where are the other species? I would of thought just a tad too early to spawn being the reason they got stuck.

Brian

Sterling work David!

It is nice to see anglers and angling doing something positive AND getting the right response from the media.

I take my hat off to you, your Mum and Dad andto the others that helped.

Well done:):):):):):):):):):):):)

Fish Stranded

Thanks Keith,
To answer a few questions-
The small section we first got to had maybe 30 carp, mainly mirrors, the biggest over 35lb (see pic at start of the thread) the pic does not do it justice (though Col is a big bit of kit so will make most fish look small!), we moved or saw several fish over 20lb with lots of 10lbers. The Ghostie was the most impressive-25lb and long. Bream were most pentiful (to 7-8lb) and were going through the motions of spawning/practising. from what the Old Dear has said, most of the fish were in the adjacent field and the ream running along the middle of the Ham (The EA are netting it now-apparently there are hundreds of fish there). I was only there on the MOnday afternoon, and did not see anything Roach/perch/Bleak etc, certainly no Barbel, though the EA will be better placed to comment.
Mums neighbours Arthur and June spotted the fish, the Old Dear then rang a number of local anglers, Colin Harvey and Myself started netting a few on the Monday(I had to get back to Reading), then thanks to BFW/Facebook/phone calls to EA Pons got on the case Tuesday morining-fairplay to mobilising so quickly (ritish Gas would not have mobolised so quickly!), and by Mid day Tuesday the operation was in full flow, with Mum and Dad out since 6am tuesday morning(netting fish and moving them to deeper water). Like stated earlier the EA got their act together very quickly-and reacted in time to save hundreds of fish. The BBC rang early Tuesday morning-not sure how they got my number-as it was only posted on this thread? so either they read BFW, or someone passed it on! (thanks to that person), and the Lady reporter went down to investigate after borrowing the Old Dears wellies. Good press for angling and the EA-all well deserved (other organisations would not have made the call they did to mobilise resources as quickly as the EA did), and also from prior experience thanks to a few BFW ers who would have mobilised whatever the time or circumstance (Scuba/Ben Whitehouse et al) if required.
Can see why people go carp fishing now-the big girl was massive, but there were a few Commons pushing 30lb that looked like torpedos, and the Ghostie/Koi is probably the most impressive fish I have seen-it has a very nice new home now! In other circumstances it would be a privelege to net them.

DT

Back