• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

spool filling question

I have been racking my brains on how to use maths to determine how much line I'm putting on my reels from a bulk spool so I know ive got 200 yards on each out of a 600yd bulk spool
I know I could visit a football deserted pitch but I read somewhere about "capacity factor" where you multiply the length x diameter
and I even found an online calculator but neither work when you use whats written on the side of my aero spools

so anytips?

2 x pi x average radius of loaded spool to get circumference x gear ratio to get amount of line per turn of handle. This will give you a good idea +/-.

E.g. spool radius 4cm (0.04m) and gear ratio 4:1, each turn of the handle gives you:

2 x 3.142 x 0.04 x 4 = 1m of line

Bit geeky but works for me! The maths is easier if you stick to pins!

Wind on 200m of your mainline onto an empty spool. Then wind on your backing line until full. Now I am assuming you have a spare spool? Then wind onto spare spool. Job done?

or measure 10 x 2 metres using a measuring tape, work out how many turns it takes to load that and then x by 10 for the number of turns for 200m

David Hall where have you been hiding Matey?

gavins average diameter of spool x pi x gearing sounds the best one
after of course a line counter

turns to wind in 20m must be done when half full or it could be over 20m out due to increasing diam

id never thought about the diameter of spool but now its so obvious

lol jon how do I know ive wound 200m on?

Wind on 200m of your mainline onto an empty spool. Then wind on your backing line until full. Now I am assuming you have a spare spool? Then wind onto spare spool. Job done?

Always do that for loading standard spools of braid Jon ... works a treat.
If using bulk spools, I simply get the missus to pace out the required length across the nearest field whilst holding the spool and then reel her in !!;):D

Always do that for loading standard spools of braid Jon ... works a treat.
If using bulk spools, I simply get the missus to pace out the required length across the nearest field whilst holding the spool and then reel her in !!;):D

I could try that, I get a bit embarrassed about doing nerdy things like that so i'd have to do it at night
no fear of losing my missus in the dark, I just follow the aroma of fish . . . .

Hope that she doesn't read this forum, as that last post is the equivalent of leaving a bullet with your name on !:eek:

I sorted this one out years ago.I have made a 1 yard line winder, basically it is a large wooden home made centrepin reel that clamps in a vice in the workshop ( actually I have 2 of them)
One turn of the spool equals1 yard.
I first load the spool of the reel in question with a full "fill" of line, then wind it back onto the line winder, counting the rotations, so I know exactly how much it holds,I have a tally clicker mounted on the reel to tell me how many turns it makes,one turn, one click, then if I only want say half that amount, I wind half the number of line winder turns back onto the reel, and wind the rest of the line back onto the line spool, I know exactly to within a few inches how much line I have on the reel spool , and how much on the line spool. I then wind "backing " line onto the reel spool on top of the mono, to the spool lip, and reverse it using both line winders and load the spool.
Sounds complicated, in practise very easy and I always make a note of how much line it takes to respool on top of the backing.
Unfortunately some friends have sussed out that I have this easy method, and I end up doing a half dozen reels for them every year.

Dave

Hi Alan,
She's only ever smelt nice when I've seen her:)

which end you been sniffing?

about the diameter of spool x pi ive just realised there is a massive flaw in that line lay as you wind on, is not 2d but 3d in that the bail arm goes up and down laying line in a pattern that is quite a bit longer than pi x diameter

so....if I borrow david craines idea looks like I'm gonna have to make a makeshift spool with 1metre circumference - diameter 318mm?

or... I simply wind on all 250 yards of a one shot onto a bigger reel
noting how many turns and also, being clever, measuring how much actually winds on with one turn when empty and then after every 10 turns or so until its all wound on
I will know how much line is going on per turn at various stages of filling

I will be able to guestimate 125 metres = halfway

when it comes to filling the bigger reel I will need an even bigger reel
which I haven't got:confused:

wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers simply put a tiny bit of folded tape etc on the line every hundred metres that can easily be removed

I really do hope the fish are gonna appreciate all this appliance of science:cool:

Back