• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

spool filling question

I just tend to wind a load on until the spools full. As I don't fish at range very often can't see as it matters.

got it totally sorted
filling spools to whatever capacity I want is a piece of p|$$ takes literally minutes
this way I can fill any spool with 125m or 200m or whatever takes my fancy of good line and use backing for the rest saving a fortune - (ive just spent over £120 on line last 2 weeks)
I made a winder out of an old pedal bin that just happens to measure 925mm in circumference 108 turns = 100m
ive got loads of spare spools so can do the wind on with backing last then wind onto another spool so backing is on first

here it is in action
http://vid325.photobucket.com/albums/k373/aljaxon/fishing/IMG_3487.mp4

and here it is againhttp://vid325.photobucket.com/albums/k373/aljaxon/fishing/IMG_3493.mp4

edit - links are on photobucket and are tediously slow to load

with a nice pretty end result
IMG_3499.jpg

this way 20 quids worth of line -600m - instead of all going on one spool (big spool huh?) can fill 3 and then when its time for a change it can be used as backing

I do a lot of other fishing -light stick feeder for bream chub as well as for barbell and find I need 2lb 3lb 4lb 6lb 8lb 10lb 12lb on 16 spools!!!

putting 50m of line on my harrier 120m and 125m's is no longer guesswork or a trip to a sports field with all the usual hassles of usain bolt running past or david emery
its no longer a hurdle any more

(cant you tell its close season?):cool:

Last edited:
and leaving the flip and catch mechanism on the bin it makes a nice loud clunk every rotation
so u just count the clunks

if I was wealthy I would just fill the spools up but trying to finance all my hobbies and holidays needs a bit of penny pinching somewhere.

thanks to david craine for pointing me in the right direction

Back