• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam watch

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
Its only my favourite bait, as we know Garlic spam and Hot and Spicey spam, are hard to find. However every year it appears on the shelves for a couple of weeks.
So can we all keep us informed when it hit the shelves... it's due anytime now lads..

I flavour my own so use the plain, but have to say I bought two tins last week and that should last me until well into 2020 :D

I first spotted it last year, think it was a limited edition but now maybe a regular. It catches, which is no surprise as it smells like it really should!

Tesco meat counter, garlic sausage, have a piece chopped off to the size you need, tougher than the old garlic spam so more resistant to chub. If you store it in the fridge put it in a sealed container as it stinks for days

Just looking for that small window to top up my spam stash. Only got about 25 tins left. Thanks for all the other helpful tips though.

Morrisons have plain spam............the large tins on offer for £1.50 instead of £2

( I fry it in my ridge monkey and eat it lol )

Don't forget the lard! (This thread is definitely getting more and more like the Python 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch....)

Dave

I remember grated chocolate sandwiches. Always with the loose pat butter from the local coop on a large uncut white loaf, when the coop was a posh version of Arkwrights corner shop.
Back to spam, Years ago I used to lightly fry it with various curry powders to flavour and to form a tougher skin.
We have a local butcher who makes really nice sausage rolls, chunks of these are a good bait and work well if broken off a warm one. It might be worth making some baits up from fried sausage meat chunks flavours could be added as well, if they don't work they would make a decent afternoon snack....

spam fritters was still a camping holiday treat for us in the early 70's

As for bait, Plumrose is the cheapest and hardest (£1 for a bigger tin than Spam), then fry in garlic and spices, then freeze. Or else supermarket deli garlic sausage, as suggested.

Last edited:
I use Spam for a large part of my Barbel fishing and especially when trying to tempt bigger fish from the Middle/Upper Severn. Now I get the confidence factor thing here and I’ve used garlic spam myself; however its sudden unavailability wasn’t a disaster for me. I catch just as many fish, if not more, by coating large spam chunks in any off the following before freezing them:

• Frankfurter flavouring and curry powder .
  • Frankfurter flavouring and harissa spice powder
  • Garlic powder and robin red powder (it stinks!)

Keep rotating the flavours and the fish keep on coming.

Cumberland sausage works well. Had a bit of a brain wave the other day and his coming season I plan to try some black pudding.

Back