• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam watch

Tried black pudding a few years ago.. dont think I got a Barbel, but remember a couple of eels.

I remember grated chocolate sandwiches. Always with the loose pat butter from the local coop on a large uncut white loaf, when the coop was a posh version of Arkwrights corner shop.
Back to spam, Years ago I used to lightly fry it with various curry powders to flavour and to form a tougher skin.
We have a local butcher who makes really nice sausage rolls, chunks of these are a good bait and work well if broken off a warm one. It might be worth making some baits up from fried sausage meat chunks flavours could be added as well, if they don't work they would make a decent afternoon snack....
You were lucky! I had to make do with Lea & Perrins in my sandwiches.

Years ago I bought some luncheon meat from a butcher's, cut from an enormous sausage shaped roll. Great texture, great flavour and great buoyancy, floated like a cork, not that brilliant trying to bait up a swim on the Kennet.
Was devastating as a floater for Carp though.
Could be worth seeking out, pop ups, critically balanced etc.

Anybody use Pepperami ? I tried and failed miserably :p, bit of a waste because I dont like the flavour of it myself either.

At least with Spam /Sausage type baits I can have a nibble myself if the fish arent feeding.

David

When my dad used to take me as a kid, he wasn't a fisherman, he'd end up eating most of the luncheon meat.
At least it didn't go to waste as the fish certainly weren't interested.

I used black pud last winter, for nowt ... and tried Pepperami in the past for same result. Whilst I do use flavoured meat I'm not sure whether or not it increases catch rate/fish response, or maybe it's more of a confidence thing.
That said, about 10yrs ago I used to fish a tight, deep swim between two willows on the Teme. It was a fabulous, real hook-and-hold swim, with the barbel averaging nearly 9lbs (several recaptures I'm sure), whereas the stretch average was ~6.5lbs. One autumn, after a bit of a flood with the level up and coloured, this swim was completely blocked by a large log, 6ft out, and wedged between the willows either side. So I drove the 9 miles around to the opposite bank, cut my way in directly opposite the swim, and flicked a lump of meat out. Nowt. I tried wrapped pellet, then meat again. Nowt. After about an hour I was just about to move when I remembered that I'd par-cooked some sausage the night before (30" microwave on low), cut it into one inch chunks, and then put it in a plastic bag with garlic paste. So I swung a lump of this out. With the rod being wrenched over I didn't get chance to put the rod in the rest, and a few minutes later I landed a high-9. Hmmmm, so I'm thinking the fish were there, all the time, resisting my bait ... but couldn't resist my garlic'd sausage (steady!)

Never forget Cajun powder.
Add the day before.

And for a bigger fish......meatball but the tomato sauce one. A pretty much forgotten bait.

Still prefer plumrose ham and pork over the softer spam to fish with , even that seems to have been a bit didled with , since the tin size shrinkage a while a ago , could it be the Brexit jitters whereby suppliers are cutting cost with ingredients and volume of products , just look at the size of colmans sauces, here come the diddymen ! as for eating tinned meat could not stick it battered at school , although my better half will eat it from the tin with relish .

I use Spam for a large part of my Barbel fishing and especially when trying to tempt bigger fish from the Middle/Upper Severn. Now I get the confidence factor thing here and I’ve used garlic spam myself; however its sudden unavailability wasn’t a disaster for me. I catch just as many fish, if not more, by coating large spam chunks in any off the following before freezing them:

• Frankfurter flavouring and curry powder .
  • Frankfurter flavouring and harissa spice powder
  • Garlic powder and robin red powder (it stinks!)

Keep rotating the flavours and the fish keep on coming.
I had some robin red powder left over from some boilies I’d made that I used to coat some meat in. Worked well but don’t half stain your fingers up. Also had a spell of injecting salmon oil into my meat which worked as well but the eels used to love it more than the barbel

Been searching round, but still can't find any Garlic or hot and spicey spam about.

Jon,
You will not find the garlic as they stopped bringing it in a couple of years ago. I contacted the manufacturers and they said there was insufficient demand !
B & M have the Smokey bbq in my local store.
Mike

The smokey bbq smells very garlicky, it's still early to tell but I'm sure the barbel will love it, smell doesn't seem to wash out despite being in the water a long time.

Cheers lads. I know hot and spicey and sometimes Garlic, generally comes out for a week then nothing for 12 months.

Jon,
You will not find the garlic as they stopped bringing it in a couple of years ago. I contacted the manufacturers and they said there was insufficient demand !
B & M have the Smokey bbq in my local store.
Mike
Mmmmm will I eat more than ends up on the hook though Mike. Took the Black Pepper variety for bait a couple of winters back and consumed most of it :(

Bill,
The Smokey bbq is much worse, it smells fantastic and tastes, well ______, some love spam and some don't.
If you scoffed the black pepper you will find this irresponsible !!!!!!😜

Bill,
The Smokey bbq is much worse, it smells fantastic and tastes, well ______, some love spam and some don't.
If you scoffed the black pepper you will find this irresponsible !!!!!!😜

Thanks for the warning Mike, I'll get myself a muzzle :)

Back