• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Some centrepin casting success!

Jon Kennard

Afternoon people, just thought I'd share some centrepin casting success. I love fishing for the fact that it offers so many different forms and techniques in which we can enjoy to essentially do the same thing of catch fish be it fresh water, bait spin fly salt etc.
Anyway I have wanted to use some time I now have to actually try centrepin casting. Ive never needed to before choosing swims more or less under my feet or being in the river itself however I wanted to see if I could try it. I Watched various videos and set out to Wallis cast. Had a small amount of success so more to work and practice on (didn't try for long). However not sure of the name of the cast but by pulling line from the second eye onto my middle finger line from the eye below on my trigger finger then on thumb above the reel I was shocked at the distance achievable very easily and consistently. I was using a 2 swan loafer so a far weight however a 4 swan would fly away. Get out there give it a go

On my to do list, but fear will take time! Have watched others and it looks so graceful. However, when I try it resembles Kryton on steroids

Alan im sure you'll be fine. I didn't give my attempts very long. Im assuming your going for the Wallis cast? Im going to continue practicing regularly. I guess what i did is a variation on the Nottingham cast. That is usually 2 loops but I was trying 3. Let us know you do.
I totally agree with you anyone doing anything really well looks effortless so about timing I guess.

You can always (insulation) tape another ring (or two) onto your rod so as to be able to pull more loops of line from the rod.

You can always (insulation) tape another ring (or two) onto your rod so as to be able to pull more loops of line from the rod.
This is why all of my rods have an extra ring :)

paul4_rod_90.jpg

No need for extra rings if you Wallis cast... this is an extreme version..

I can Wallis cast.... very badly, bu the benefits of a bad Wallis cast over a loop cast are tremendous depending what you are wanting to do.

I still loop cast when float fishing for Tench, Silvers etc , as its easy to get the distance to fish effectiveley .

David

I found trying to learn to Wallis cast from instructional videos nigh on impossible. The best I could rustle up was a dismal facsimile of it that offered nothing over a decent loop cast. An hour or two with someone that can actually do it made a massive difference. If they actually fish in a similar style to you, it helps immensely. I've certainly seen plenty of variations on the theme. Someone very proficient with an ounce or two of lead may not be much use to someone wanting to cast float gear. I still haven't sussed a Wallis cast with a lead, but as I almost exclusively float fish these days, I don't mind. Nor do I wish to practice it.

Once you suss your own rhythm for casting, it gets easier. Practice certainly helps, I definitely get rusty over the closed season, but it comes back very quickly.

Things I have found over time -

Long rods can be helpful, whether loop casting or Wallis casting.

The action of a rod can have a fair impact on how well you can Wallis cast. I find tippy rods far easier to cast a float with.

If float fishing, don't mess about with piddly little floats. I rarely bother with anything less than 3g. Tiddly little stick floats are fine and dandy for close range stuff, but if you actually want to cast any distance, use bigger. Try not to worry too much about the perception of such floats being insensitive. I've caught thousands of bloody minnows on dirty great Avon floats. They have no problem registering bites, proper fish certainly won't, especially in a decent flow. However, I do tend to avoid big floats with big buoyant tips like Avons. I'm far more likely to use a Bolo float with a decent nylon bristle. They aren't nearly as buoyant and are usually far more visible, especially at range.

Thanks gents I was hoping to get a few replies. I'm using my 15ft diawa connoisseur and I guess being longer with the loop cast it enables more line to be drawn off the reel and a further cast? I agree Chris larger floats are the way for me. I'd love a casting day with someone that can cast and teach. Maybe a day together somewhere? Not trying to invite or muscle myself in:eek: :eek:

Alan im sure you'll be fine. I didn't give my attempts very long. Im assuming your going for the Wallis cast? Im going to continue practicing regularly. I guess what i did is a variation on the Nottingham cast. That is usually 2 loops but I was trying 3. Let us know you do.
I totally agree with you anyone doing anything really well looks effortless so about timing I guess.
Yes was trying the Wallis cast (or my interpretation of it), I will persevere as it is definitely a skill I would like to master. I agree that proper tuition will be better than YouTube

The Wallis is something I've never been able to get adequate at, let alone adept, despite years of trying.

Nottingham cast has always worked for me (though agree with Paul above RE having an extra ring near the butt) and if I want to cast out quite far I take 4 loops, but obviously the more loops you take the higher the risk of tangles. Also the Nottingham is made easier the longer the rod length (as Chris J mentions above) - I can reach quite an impressive distance with my 15ft trotter (fnarr).

Forgive my ignorance, but that (impressive) video David C posted above - that's not a proper Wallis cast is it?

I thought with the Wallis you were supposed to "throw" the weight as you were pulling the line and swinging the rod? Or is that just a variation?
I'd say he was doing all of that :)

When I demonstrate the Wallis Cast I do it with a 1oz lead, so although the technique is to pull line to get the reel spinning whilst flexing the rod and propelling the lead etc etc, it's a slightly different technique in practise than if you are casting a float.

Watch my good friend Martin Porter's video for casting a float, he's good :)

But if you google the Wallis, or search in youtube, you'll find a lot of videos with very slight variations.

Back