• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

So where is everyone going on the glorious 16th?

Committing sacrilege and heading to the lower Warks Avon for three days carping. Can`t catch barbel out the damn place so might as well have a go for an uncaught monster

Will definitely be casting a line, but I'm keeping my options open depending on the weather. My initial plan is chucking some lures around on the Somerset levels for some summer pike fun if it's a nice day, otherwise trotting on the Bristol Avon.

Probably be on a backwater on the upper Lea. Could get a 2lb Roach, a double figure Barbel or Carp, a 5lb Tench, 4lb Chub or a good sized Perch. Floatfishing maggots on one rod, prawn on the other. Only fishing one rod at a time.
I'll probably blank having said that.

I honestly had to draw up a table of my 10 favourite stretches on 6 rivers, before I could decide.

Ease of getting there & back (I don't drive), cost, fishability with 2 rods and multiple methods, previous catch record at the time of year, etc.

The result was ... well let's just say I'll probably see a couple of other regulars off here.

I'll try and fish at least 4 different Yorkshire rivers in the first 4 days of the season and then I'm heading to the Wye on the 5th day. seriously considering fishing 7 different rivers in the first 10 days of the season as that's my only time off work till mid-september.

Seven rivers in ten days graham,how on earth do you manage that without driving,thats an amazing feat if you do it!! much respect

I.ll be driving back from La Rochelle, France. Shopping the next day, well that's what the wife tells(orders) me. 18th i.ll be on the bank at dawn.
Always found the first day of the season a bit of an anticlimax.

Seven rivers in ten days graham,how on earth do you manage that without driving,thats an amazing feat if you do it!! much respect

Well to be fair my Mrs drives us to a lot of my fishing ... and my local river the R. Aire is a short cycle ride ...but June 16th will be a local bus to the another river. ... Then the R. Nidd & R. Ouse are bike-on-the-train jobs, as will be the Trent for a few trips this summer.

The Wye in Hereford could just be train & walk, if I'm not fishing too far out of town. Train Leeds to Hereford is less than 4 hours, and the walk to the river isn't far, so so you won't be fishing any sooner if you drive. Then buses from Hereford took me to plenty of other spots down the river last year. Just needs a bit of planning as rural buses can be few and far between. Not having a vehicle helps focus the mind on minimal tackle too, keeping it light - I just carry the bare minimum of spare weights,feeders, etc and less bait is sometimes a blessing. I carry one three-piece rod and one four- or five-piece, but if I'm in my Mrs' van it'll be different rods. It's much easier than you think, and when you're a 54 year-old who's been on a bike most days for 45 years it's not exactly something that bothers you.

The 5 rivers in the first 5 days idea looks definite. Might even be 6 rivers in the first 5 days.Not to show off or 'achieve' anything, but just cos I've missed them all so much over the closed season. Any more might be stretching it, but I might stop off at Severn and/or Trent on way home from Wye if I'm not too knackered.

Iain, there is a very nice hotel opposite the church i
n the square, the food and service is superb mate, you can even ask for free pain killers sat night before they ring the church bells next morning:eek: lovely harbour town, have a great time:)

Back