• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small river barbel rod

Ive bought myself a RW Rolling Pin for the same reason, when i eventually buy the right rod that will complement it.
I use pins with both 11ft fs seeker and torrix 1.75, personally I prefer the seeker because of the through action, makes casting of heavy lead easier. But the fast tip on torrix makes it a great rolling meat rod, it casting lead bait lead better.

Let us know what you buy, David. Sounds like the GTI is a prime suspect. I use a Hexagraph Avon No 2 (Ray Walton version). There are so few about and no longer made, so I can't really recommend it.
I love my hexagraph no2, not the ray version but I believe the action is the same? The rod actually has a fast tip with power from middle to butt, similar to torrix IMO. The no1 is classic through action rod I’ve been told.

I use pins with both 11ft fs seeker and torrix 1.75, personally I prefer the seeker because of the through action, makes casting of heavy lead easier. But the fast tip on torrix makes it a great rolling meat rod, it casting lead bait lead better.
Do you know unless you are casting some weight some distance, a Torrix does seem the perfect rod for rolling meat.

Some really excellent posts on this thread. The wealth of knowledge, through experience, is quite staggering. Keep it up, Gents, as it makes wonderful reading. Actually surprised this thread has kept going - usually a closed-season topic!

I have nothing to add other than catching a big barbel using a 'pin on a through-actioned rod is really like nothing else. So much control and 'feel'. One can almost anticipate each run of the fish. I use braid, which, in my humble opinion, accentuates all in the previous sentences.

I spent a small fortune during the closed season on a pair of custom rods and two new shimano fixed spool reels. Albeit lovely rods (Evoke blanks made up by Andy Sliwa - who I can't recommend highly enough) and super smooth reels - I've used them twice this season out of three sessions, and felt like I'd almost betrayed my soul! Anyway, enough of that! 🤣
Very pleased to hear Andy Sliwa building again. I read he was reducing his builds almost to nothing. I had a 10, maybe 10.6 of his, 1 of 8 he said. Lovely guy and rod.

Very pleased to hear Andy Sliwa building again. I read he was reducing his builds almost to nothing. I had a 10, maybe 10.6 of his, 1 of 8 he said. Lovely guy and rod.
He told me he is doing 6 per year…hopefully he’s 10.6 stalker will show up one day.

I used a pin once whilst stalking, everything was fine and enjoyed the fight catching a 9lber. After returning the fish safely, I remembered my hand was smarting a bit, looked at my knuckles and realised the pins handles had wrapped them. Bloody hurt! 😂😂
All the years I have used a pin, I have never had sore knuckles... I must be using them wrong🤣😂

I have a pair of the lighter rod, which are labelled 1.4lb (which is nearer 1lb 6oz than 4oz), they will stop anything. I even use them in high water on the Loddon and Kennet; landing fish to 16lb+. I have never felt under gunned, but to anyone watching it would appear so; the rod is at times is looped to the handle.
To quote Damian

Mark Tunley gets it right... a shorter all through action rod puts more pressure on the fish. It feels as though we aren't putting anything at our end, but the pressure lb's at the other end..........
When using my 12ft 1.75lb Torrex, it feels as though I am piling the pressure on, yet the fish always feel as they have more control!!!!
Paul are they the Chimera Avon rods or the DT Avon special rods that you use? As I have both and have only used the Avon special for barbel and the chimera once for chub. And was wondering wether the chimera Avon would be up to the job?

Paul are they the Chimera Avon rods or the DT Avon special rods that you use? As I have both and have only used the Avon special for barbel and the chimera once for chub. And was wondering wether the chimera Avon would be up to the job?
Been eyeing some lighter Chimeras on ebay and i'm wondering the same?

The rods are the the chimera Avon's. on first impressions, you think it is not powerful enough for big barbel, but as I said, they are deceptive. with balanced tackle I don't feel that they can't do the trick.

I recall he said the blanks he got from the US were now uneconomical to import hence no more 10.6 but hopefully that is now resolved.
No unfortunately not. There will be no more 10’6 so i’m told. I missed out on an offer of having the last blank built because i missed the email. Bloody annoyed with myself!

Some really excellent posts on this thread. The wealth of knowledge, through experience, is quite staggering. Keep it up, Gents, as it makes wonderful reading. Actually surprised this thread has kept going - usually a closed-season topic!

I have nothing to add other than catching a big barbel using a 'pin on a through-actioned rod is really like nothing else. So much control and 'feel'. One can almost anticipate each run of the fish. I use braid, which, in my humble opinion, accentuates all in the previous sentences.

I spent a small fortune during the closed season on a pair of custom rods and two new shimano fixed spool reels. Albeit lovely rods (Evoke blanks made up by Andy Sliwa - who I can't recommend highly enough) and super smooth reels - I've used them twice this season out of three sessions, and felt like I'd almost betrayed my soul! Anyway, enough of that! 🤣
My 2 Roger peregrine GTI's turned up late last evening so haven't had the chance to look at them yet.
I heard some good things about these rods, and looking forward to using these with some centre pins that Gary at mill tackle built for me. 👍

I would say an 11ft rod of your choice.

My choice in order would be Harrison 4 piece avon 1.5lb tc, Harrison GTI, Free Spirit Barbel Seeker 1.75lb or Torrix 1.75lb or 2lb tc.
These choices reflect my prefence for a through action rod but each to their own.

I really can't agree that the Barbel Seeker is a 'soft rod' - yes it bends with a fish on but it has plenty of power .

Back