• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Signal crayfish

Nigel,

That was 2001 when the Cats were only Kittens, wouldn't like to think who would win between an otter and a 150lb plus catfish :eek:

As Harry Hill would say, there's only one way to find out..............fiiiiiiight

That was 2001 when the Cats were only Kittens, wouldn't like to think who would win between an otter and a 150lb plus catfish :eek:

To be fair the report was only published in late 2005 although I take your point about the size of the cats these days.

As Harry Hill would say, there's only one way to find out..............fiiiiiiight

£50 on the pussy to win.

Hi Nigel, poor use of English I'm afraid. I certainly cannot see someone tending to his crays on the Kennet, though wasn't that how they were originally released?
Still not sure I could dispatch a cray knowing that I may have my conscience to deal with in the event of it going horribly wrong. Maybe the knife behind the head? Ooh!
With the the numbers of trappers being quite low, surely that suggests the market is not there for these little critters and further trapping, unless of course it is one of those areas fraught with red tape. I bought a trap earlier in the year to help in the process of removing these, and of course filling a few bellies in the process, does anyone know what the legalities are of such an act?

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Hi Nigel, poor use of English I'm afraid. I certainly cannot see someone tending to his crays on the Kennet, though wasn't that how they were originally released?
Still not sure I could dispatch a cray knowing that I may have my conscience to deal with in the event of it going horribly wrong. Maybe the knife behind the head? Ooh!
With the the numbers of trappers being quite low, surely that suggests the market is not there for these little critters and further trapping, unless of course it is one of those areas fraught with red tape. I bought a trap earlier in the year to help in the process of removing these, and of course filling a few bellies in the process, does anyone know what the legalities are of such an act?

Regards,

Damian Kimmins
A mate of mine has a trap he quite regularly takes with him to get a few (usually upto a couple of dozen) signals for his tea. You need a licence from the EA for a trap - which you attach to the trap itself and permission from the riparian owner of the water. The licences are free BTW.

As regards commercial trapping as a way of removing the beasties - it simply doesn't work. A bit like trying to cull pike - trapping crays in large numbers appears to increase in the number caught year on year - though with a much reduced average size - they are obviously quite canabalistic!

C.

Last edited:
ottersincrayfishtrap_DarrenTansley0.jpg

I'm saying nothing!

Well, I will say something about all the recent, pathetic "They woz askin' for it" gloating by a certain set of so-called Anglers (with their personal bests, inflatable weighing mats, Friars Balsam and antibiotics for hook wounds, and all). Three words: "Chris Packham" and "Springwatch".

Askin' for it? Yes, we are.

Half volley works very well :) difficult technique to master when wearing moonboots, but worth the effort,very satisfying ;)

Mittencrab.jpg

Come on Lush, let's see yer try one of them half volley's on me. I'll have yer leg off!

All this Signals / Rotters / Black Death v. The Spessie Boys stuff is a splendid waste of time and braincells, you know, when you consider that, unless we pull our collective finger out very soon, we won't have any rivers to worry about. Dry Season - Monsoon Season storm-drains, yes. But living rivers, no.

Hi Chris, thanks for the information on the trapping of the blighters, that'll come in handy.

On your comment of there being cannibalistic tendancies in populations of crays, how does this prove itself in the showing of smaller crays after a period of trapping? Surely in a low risk environment, when coupled with the competition for food, it would mean the big ones will get to the bait first? Therefore after a period of trapping leaving, naturally, only a smaller cray in the population.
Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Rather cowardly I have to say, I haven't got the heart to try to dispatch a cray, mainly because I gathered they'd be difficult. All I've had have unfortunately gone back, much to the annoyance of friends. If I could take one out rapidly, I would do.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the quickest way to dispatch a cray.

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

I would suggest the heel of your boot would suffice Damian .... Hard !! :)

Damian,

You are actually breaking the law by returning signal crayfish, you could be charged with introducing alien species to the watercourse if caught!!

I normally find that if you stand on them and push a bankstick through the head end it works well.

I actually think you are wrong there Crooky, you are not introducing it, but just returning it from whence it came !

The official EA advice is not to kill them because they say they efficiently control their own numbers :rolleyes: .... rubbish, and if that was so why would they issue trapping licenses, one more example of the fork tounge of the EA.

KILL EM, ALL OF EM !!

All this Signals / Rotters / Black Death v. The Spessie Boys stuff is a splendid waste of time and braincells, you know, when you consider that, unless we pull our collective finger out very soon, we won't have any rivers to worry about. Dry Season - Monsoon Season storm-drains, yes. But living rivers, no.

Whilst i think that the release of Otters was a Mega blunder, by those who perpetrated it, and Crayfish are a blight of near biblical proportions on some rivers, I actually agree with you Paul, there are far worse things to come, can we stop it ? i doubt it to be honest, nature i believe is going to kick our butts in the coming years, i dread to think what kind of world our grandchildren will inherit :(

The EA statement on trapping

A new byelaw for trapping crayfish in England and Wales came into force on the 1st of June 2005.
In the past only the Thames Region of the Environment Agency had the authority to allow this activity.
The byelaw changes restrict accidental or deliberate transportation of alien crayfish and 'crayfish plague', whilst still allowing the legitimate trapping of the crustaceans.
Permission to trap crayfish will be dependant on the local situation in particular the presence of the native white claw crayfish.
Unless the trapping is done responsibly it could make the situation worse or even cause further spread.
I have never seen any advice from the EA saying that anglers shouldn't kil signal crayfish....where did that come from? They are a non native species , not covered by the WCA and as far as I know can be removed (indeed should be removed) if caught accidentally. The conserns about trapping is that it also catches the native crayfish which is an essential part of the river system. Fish can't just live on boilies you know....although on some waters this may sadly be the case!!! They taste really good irrespective of the water they are caught in (you do boil the beggers after all) so don't let them go to waste. A quick trip to a pan of boiling water on the bankside, mash 'em with some mayo and crayfish sandwiches for lunch. What do you mean you don't take a pan of boiling water and mayonaise with you fishing? You will be forgetting the chilled white wine next.

Last edited:
The simple fact is that if you catch them you can't put them back.So you give them a stab behind the head and try the tail as a bait.
The smaller /juvenile will be easier prey for the chub and perch, if you have enough in your river!
or

They make a very fine meal, just put them live in a sealed container, and at the end of your session take them home and boil them.

Recipes available at Google search.:cool:

NOTE: A couple is not enough for a meal!

Last edited:
Back