• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Signal crayfish

John Walker

Does anyone know anything about the method to be used to partially irradicate signals? i read something on it but cannot remember where and
would love to know more on the possibilty of this....john

John, I have heard of pyrethum biocides being used, which break down without any long lasting effects on the aquatic ecosystem. However I don't think (?) this method is selective and thus also kills indigenous species, hence it is only used where native species do not exist.

Nuclular warheads are effective. Not very eco-friendly though.

Multi-functional.... can't be bad! If only they would get the horse flies and tree-huggers as well, then it really would be a wonderful world.

Catfish are a good way of keeping signals down, just a shame the EA aint to keen on them.

...which break down without any long lasting effects on the aquatic ecosystem...

Are they those famous last words?

Just out of interest, does anyone know if they are commercially farmed on the Kennet?

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Just out of interest, does anyone know if they are commercially farmed on the Kennet?

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

There's at least a couple full time (or nearly full time) trappers. I've chatted to one guy who traps around Hambridge and Thatcham - takes around 30000 crays per season (Apr-Sep) and another who does the same further upstream near Kintbury.

C.

Hi men ,

Damian , the stretch of the Kennet me and Sue fish has masses of traps now . In most fishable swims there are nice black cords going into the river , and I often check to see the results , and when you see that many traps , containing that many crays , you realise the scale of the problem . I spoke to an EA oficial about it , and they say that trapping often helps in the short term with angling , but unless some biological warfare on them happens ( members of Oxford uni are looking at it ) , they are here to stay . I caught a couple perching at the weekend , and one was a lobster , massive , I stamped on it , but they are tough cookies as well , and it tried crawling off :eek: , still with part of my lob in its claw :D.

Hatter

Rather cowardly I have to say, I haven't got the heart to try to dispatch a cray, mainly because I gathered they'd be difficult. All I've had have unfortunately gone back, much to the annoyance of friends. If I could take one out rapidly, I would do.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the quickest way to dispatch a cray.

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Damian,

You are actually breaking the law by returning signal crayfish, you could be charged with introducing alien species to the watercourse if caught!!

I normally find that if you stand on them and push a bankstick through the head end it works well.

Hi men ,

Pan of boilling water works really well :D .

The re - intoduction thing is a good one . Someone I know catches them , smashes them up , and puts them back into the swim as an attractor . Yes they were dead , but the females my have been carrying eggs , and has now stopped doing it alltogether .

Hatter

Half volley works very well :) difficult technique to master when wearing moonboots, but worth the effort,very satisfying ;)

a size 10 boot stamping down hard does the job admirably, aint no good for eating after though, there again i wouldnt eat stuff from most of the rivers i fish anyhow, even the water cress these days....john

You don't wanna try jumping on a mitten crab. That really is a messy business!

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Not sure about being commercially farmed Damian, but they are certainly commercially trapped and sold at Barton Court.

Hmmn, you don't see otters on the Ebro come to think of it...............

Are you sure Ian?

"In the present study, common Iberian barbel Barbus graellsii Steindachner, 1866, Iberian nase Chondrostoma miegii Steindachner, 1866 and common chub Leuciscus cephalus Lin-naeus, 1758 from the Ebro River basin (NE of Spain) were selected as representative models of the respective genera in Iberia (see D o a d r i o 2001), since they are the most representative prey species in the diet of otters in this region (R u i z - O l m o et al. 2001)."

Source:Length relationships of cyprinid prey in diet analysis of Eurasian otter
Lutra lutra in Mediterranean habitats. November 2005

Back