• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Ultegra Ci4+ 5500 XTB reels

Andrew Firth

Just wondering if anyone uses these reels on the rivers?

I've just took the plunge in ordering a couple of new rods from Mark Tunley (my X-Flite rods will be in the classified sometime soon) and so want something to replace my old 8010GT Baitrunners, something lighter for balance and still retain a bait runner function to suit the new rods.

If not, could anyone recommend a similar product with similar weight (450-500grms max).

Andy

They are excellent reels for the big rivers one even better are the medium longcasts in Ci4. Used both anf you wont go wrong.

Yeah, I'm torn between the Ultegra ci4+ or the Ci4 XTR-A Longest baitrunner reel (Medium Baitrunner). Similar price, almost identical spec, little to no difference weight wise.

Whats the front drag/baitrunner mechanism spool like with the Ultegra's John? I've heard they can be a little awkward to set up and use?

Problem I'll have is local shops hardly stock them to put them on the rods and compare, might have to take a drive out

I do have those reservations Neil, I've hardly used front drag reels in a while. I've a couple of pins now and my old trusty 8010GT bait runners, not sure how I'll get on with front drag?

The functions are very desirable though, that and the line lay mechanism and ability to gain improved casting distance

I've used Ultegra's on my heavy carp rods, really well built reels with superb line lay - I can imagine in Ci4 they'd be even better, however I always found the Baitrunner Spool system a bit faffy. Not too bad for carp fishing when your not making casts (or getting many runs..), but I wouldn't fancy using any reel with the front Baitrunner Spool for barbelling.

Might be worth looking at the new X-aero baitrunners. I've been using the 4000 version for tench and I love them. The 8000 version looks perfect for big river barbelling, with the oversized spool, rear Baitrunner and single-handle. Available now for around £125 if you shop around.

Thanks for the feed back, thats the reservation I have with the front bait runner spool....

I've looked at those X-Aero's, they're quite heavy in bigger sizes with a line capacity penalty on the smaller reels. Speaking to Mark Tunley he suggested a 4000/5000 series reel should suit the rod well for balance.

It maybe i wait until I've got the rods and go try different reels on them, just need to find a tackle shop with stock

I bought the XSB which is basically the same reel. For £15 I purcased the baitrunner spool kits from Filindre so I have the fast drag and the baitrunner. Took a little while to get used to the baitrunner spool but I now find it easy to use. It can also be tightened right up if needs be in heavy flows etc. Very happy with mine for barbel and in the sea.

Thanks for the feed back, thats the reservation I have with the front bait runner spool....

I've looked at those X-Aero's, they're quite heavy in bigger sizes with a line capacity penalty on the smaller reels. Speaking to Mark Tunley he suggested a 4000/5000 series reel should suit the rod well for balance.

It maybe i wait until I've got the rods and go try different reels on them, just need to find a tackle shop with stock

'..line capacity penalty on the smaller reels.'

With the spool reducers on perhaps, but for barbel fishing I'd see that as an advantage, saves messing around with backing. I've been casting the 4000 x-aero for up to 70m range no problems at all (and I'm a very average caster). Not so keen on the double handle, so I've managed to find some single handles for this season.

The spool on the 4000 x-aero's is bigger than on my 8000 GTE's, I don't really understand Shimano's numbering system to be honest...

Regular Trent angler, but imo a shimano 4000 is on the limit for Trent work. Admittedly I use some 4000 Thunnus for my light Trent work ie Inside line maggot work, roving etc. These reels were built for small Tuna, Albacore etc and are well up tothe job. However for anything else ie chucking to the Far bank, flood and winter hit and hold fishing I use thunnus 8000. I have used the medium baitrunners and the Xtbs in non Ci4 and both are excellent with the medium xta winning on winding power and an oh so smooth drag. Yes a 4000 will be ok but when the pressures on will it do the job.... Admittedly a 4000 would be ok for the Nidd etc. If its Trentworkthink to what limits you want to fish?

Regular Trent angler, but imo a shimano 4000 is on the limit for Trent work. Admittedly I use some 4000 Thunnus for my light Trent work ie Inside line maggot work, roving etc. These reels were built for small Tuna, Albacore etc and are well up tothe job. However for anything else ie chucking to the Far bank, flood and winter hit and hold fishing I use thunnus 8000. I have used the medium baitrunners and the Xtbs in non Ci4 and both are excellent with the medium xta winning on winding power and an oh so smooth drag. Yes a 4000 will be ok but when the pressures on will it do the job.... Admittedly a 4000 would be ok for the Nidd etc. If its Trentworkthink to what limits you want to fish?

I agree John, I only use the 4000s for tenching, I was just making the point that the line capacity (imo) isn't the limiting factor as far as using the 4000's for big river barbelling. Currently using 6000 OC's (bought for a very reasonable price off this forum) for my trips over to the Trent. They are 'ok' and do the job - but time will tell..

I think the 'Aero' in the name denotes an oversize spool in relation to the body size.

Love my 4000s.

Dave

Maybe the 'x' as in xtra large? As my 8000 gte-b's say 'aero' on them...? I think that the older 6000/8000 Shimano's have the same diameter spools (which are interchangeable), just more line capacity on the 8000's. Although apparently on the newer x-aero models the spools are indeed different diameters.

Then we have the 4500's which are again bigger than 6000/8000's, and then 6500s which are bigger than the 10,000's, except some 10,000's (eg XTE's) are bigger than others (e.g XTEA's)

:confused:

Ouch !!!
Shimano numbers make my head hurt. I used to buy Okuma reels and all the numbers appeared to make sense. Bigger reels had bigger numbers, good eh !
But got talked into buying a couple of really nice 8000xtea's for my carp rods. I have 2.5lb rods and usually use 2 -3oz leads, so everything is balanced and I can easily cast the distance I need.
For my barbel fishing I have 1.5 and 1.75 test curve rods matched to 5000gtec's and feeders or leads up to 2ozs.
In both cases I borrowed reels from friends to try before committing myself to the purchase.
I'm very happy with my Shimanos, but still cannot fathom their number system.
Mike

These reels are fantastic Andrew, coming from a match fishing background I thought I'd struggle with a larger reel but they balance out fine on the rod and once you realise how good they are when fighting fish any worries soon disappear. I've used mine on the nidd and think they're just the job, you can have those fish away from the trees in one turn!
I also thought the front drag would be a pain but again once used a couple of times it wasn't a problem. I actually find it easier to be able to a just the drag at the front whilst playing fish.

Is that the Ultegra Ci4+ Karl? I Only ask as many other alternatives have been mentioned by now, I'm tempted to go with an Ultegra for one rod and a Medium Baitrunner (both in Ci4+) for my other rod, nice mixed of rods and reels balanced to how I'll fish, I'm not a tart who desires matching tackle on a pod.

Also whilst a few have commented on the many permutations of Shimano reels, I used to and sometimes do get confused with whole FA/FB/RA/RC etc etc labels, no end of different abbreviations coming out from that manufacturer.

Back