• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

shimano or fox

I have two of these baby's, Shimano 3500 (might be a earlier version of the 3500b or produced for the American market). Its slightly smaller than the 3500b without the dyna balance but once I had this one I had for another to complete the pair. Lovely little reels:)

Attachments

• shim.JPG
    shim.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 193
To a previous post, I'm not sure what Fox are good at TBO
Some of their products, eg, reels, price wise are pitched right up against Diawa and Shimano. Their new alarms are more expensive than Delks. Would I buy them, do I trust their quality? No way...

But hey, it's an individuals purchase decision.

Ian

Shimano all the way.
If you are on a really tight budget go second hand.
Bit more cash and want new, the 5000RE Ltd edition can be had for around £50. A little bit more will get you GTECs, if you can still find them. A bit more again and you will be looking at XTEAs. If you want the daddy of small (new) baitrunners and have the disposable wedge, look at the 4000Ds.

I'd rather have old second hand 5010 GTEs than brand new Fox reels.;):D

and that's it
you have to ask yourself,
would i rather have a well used shimano or a new fox.

Although i have no experience with Shim's im sure they are as good as the lads say they are! For me its Daiwa all the way in front drag. I have in total around ten Daiwa reels and have never, ever had a problem. Saying that i have the full range of Fox fs's and am yet to use them.After reading the posts i am considering selling them off!

Had 2 fox reels and both had to go back with faulty bait runners. One good thing about Fox is their consistently,the bait runner fell off and then the doors on the bait droppers fall off.

I would go for the Epix Pro (black one). I have had a pair for 2 years and hammered the hell out of them. They still work very well I will probably get myself some more soon.

So long as you don't go for the Interceptor 340...I have two of them, and I am well peed of with them. I wish I had gone for two more Shimanos now (I already own eight or nine of them....in carp sizes :rolleyes:)

Cheers, Dave.

bought the fox duo rod awesome woulde like to no peoples thoughts on reels shimano gte 5000 c reel or the fox fs 7000 16 ball bearing reel be gratefull on your thoughts cheers looked at them both cant decide

Aye up Mark, guess you have had a win on the roulett? ;) Which duo rod did you go for? I thought you had both of these reels? I started a thread on here a while back about the fox 7000 fs reel, and the same comments came back about faults and general dislikes, compaired to the shimano reels. Like we had said before Shimano rule when it comes to gears, that goes for bike and reel gears. Hope to get out for one more session before the little man makes an appearance. See ya soon mate.

Maddo

So long as you don't go for the Interceptor 340...I have two of them, and I am well peed of with them. I wish I had gone for two more Shimanos now (I already own eight or nine of them....in carp sizes :rolleyes:)

Cheers, Dave.

Hi David - surprised to hear about the Interceptor Pros. I have two and really rate them. I owned a Fox FS7000E too and my comments can be found earlier in the thread (all negative).

However, just seen the new (?) Fox FS4000E. Does anyone own one of these? If so, what's your opinion? Were they brought out after the FS7000? Perhaps as a result of the latter's failure?

don't buy your reels by the fashion of the day ,dare too be different ,you could buy one of these 6000/7000 ,7bb baitrunners no name wonders.
its a bit flash

flashingbaitrunnerreel.jpg

its got blue and green neon lights on it , that run off a dynamo so no battery's required .dame thing lights up like a christmas tree .you won't miss a run now !

only available off e-bay

I have two of these baby's, Shimano 3500 (might be a earlier version of the 3500b or produced for the American market). Its slightly smaller than the 3500b without the dyna balance but once I had this one I had for another to complete the pair. Lovely little reels:)

Me too, Clive, two of them (as you know). Brilliant, christened on a 21 lb pike and not looked back since. My first choice when a pin is not right for the job. Actually prefer them to my 55s, which speaks volumes.

The Ferox trollers I fished with on corrib used shimanos too, big fellahs, and they withstood long days, every day.

Jon

Looks alot like a cheap fladen I had and used for years abit plasticy and a poor anti reverse, but the clutch- front and baitrunner were superb, it didn't have any neon lights though!

got both reels fox i found hard going but looks very nice but the shimano is a much better reel but i tend to fish with ray walton centrepin which better then any other reel

Well done mate, you asked for advice, totally ignored it and then came to the same conclusion as most of the people who bothered to share their experience with you.
I'd stick with the Walton if I was you.

Back