• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 6000 OC reels

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all , any one use the Shimano 6000 OC reels for your Barbel fishing ?
I have someFREE SPIRIT Big Water Barbel Rods and wandered if they would be the most suitable .
I was considering the 4000d or 4000c but thought they may be a bit small.
Thanks in advance

I've got a pair of B.W.'s and top of my list to put on them is 6000 OC reels. Not tried one on yet, but can't see how they wouldn't feel right. But the question I'm asking myself is "Do I need another 2 reels?" 😂

Excellent reels for a heavier barbel set up.

You wouldn't regret buying them. Well-built, excellent line lay and a superb clutch.

I prefer smaller reels and have the 4000oc which I use on 1.5 and 1.75 tc rods. But I am not fishing but rivers. I'm on the Yorkshire Derwent and Ouse. They are fantastic reels, great clutch and loads of cranking power. Never had a double in seven years, then with these reels three in a week 😃!

Yep that combination works well.
I have a pair of free spirit big river barbels 2.25 coupled up with 6000D’s.
not exactly the same rods and reels but pretty dam near

6000oc or 8000oc will be fine. Think the only difference is the spool accepts more line etc?

As mentioned on another recent thread, great reels (I use 4000 and 6000D’s); however watch out with both the OC and D models, is under tight pressure, in flood conditions, the baitrunner drag function becomes very snatchy, which can render it useless when a fish takes the bait and steams off.

As mentioned on another recent thread, great reels (I use 4000 and 6000D’s); however watch out with both the OC and D models, is under tight pressure, in flood conditions, the baitrunner drag function becomes very snatchy, which can render it useless when a fish takes the bait and steams off.
I’ve never noticed that with mine before. Is it the clutch that sticks or the free spool facility?

I’ve never noticed that with mine before. Is it the clutch that sticks or the free spool facility?

Richard this is the same comment as I voiced about these reels. You said you never saw it as a problem, but the baitrunner tension adjustment of these reels is not linear. Most of the adjustment is in the very slack to slack range, when you need it tight because of floodwater conditions, you practically have to have it dialled in as tight as it will go or it releases line due to flow. The 'tighter' end of the baitrunner scale was better on the ST 6000 RB's I had, and the Daiwa black widow BR's I also have. I totally get where Neil is coming from and to me it's the biggest weakness with the D's (I've not used the OC so cannot comment on those).

Richard this is the same comment as I voiced about these reels. You said you never saw it as a problem, but the baitrunner tension adjustment of these reels is not linear. Most of the adjustment is in the very slack to slack range, when you need it tight because of floodwater conditions, you practically have to have it dialled in as tight as it will go or it releases line due to flow. The 'tighter' end of the baitrunner scale was better on the ST 6000 RB's I had, and the Daiwa black widow BR's I also have. I totally get where Neil is coming from and to me it's the biggest weakness with the D's (I've not used the OC so cannot comment on those).
Ah ok Rob. I thought Neil meant the drag was sticking. I know what you mean now.
yes it’s not a problem for me. I’ve always found on the rare occasions I do put on the BR if the water pressure is pulling it out I’ll just nip it up a couple clicks until it stops. I’ve not found a bolting fish struggle to pull it out in this case but then I’m very cautious to having my rods fixed down hard. In very heavy water my lines are always put upstream and fished with a large arc so the BR is pointless in this case anyway.
yes with a down stream cast or a tight line I can see that being a problem with a lot of water on but it’s not an issue to me. I find the reels free spool system to be spot on when I choose to use it. Usually call of nature when I need to momentarily turn my back on the rods.

Adam, back to your question, I have the Shim 6000D's paired to some Free Spirit Hi-S 2lb barbel rods and they are a nice match, I also have a pair of the 8000D on some 2.5lb Dark Carbons. I keep meaning to put the 6000/8000 side by side as the 8000 certainly feels more chunky, but both sizes I have are a nice match for the rods they are on. Baitunner settings 'issue' aside (which as you can see is an issue for some, not all), the clutch (front drag) and general operation of these reels make them very pleasurable to use indeed ;)

Surely the 'suitability' of a reel for a rod would have more to do with the weight of the reel than anything else ... we're taking about 'feel' here. Ideally the rod needs to have a centre of balance, a fulcrum, just in front of the reel, and the ideal weight for the reel will be governed not by the weight of the rod but by the position of the reel seat, and the length of the rod. That is, the further back you have your reel seat, the heavier the reel needs to be to balance the set up (e.g. years ago weights were put in the butt to balance long rods. This added weight made the rod actually feel lighter).

Apologies in advance as this has probably been asked before, what is the difference between the D and the OC models?

I still use Aero GT Baitrunner 5010s but I have had them for so long that they must be due an upgrade. The first step in that process will be to work out what the latest models offer.

Thanks, Steve

Apologies in advance as this has probably been asked before, what is the difference between the D and the OC models?

I still use Aero GT Baitrunner 5010s but I have had them for so long that they must be due an upgrade. The first step in that process will be to work out what the latest models offer.

Thanks, Steve
Upgrade on the 5010s? Not so sure. Probably worth giving them a good service and keep them. Probably not the most smoothest of clutches, but are bullet proof.

Thanks both, to be honest I don't feel that ready to move on from the 5010s just yet.....

Was kinda half expecting to be called out as a dinosaur for still using them - and i do notice how shiny and new my mates reels look in comparison with mine! 🙄

Neil’s right. Not much to fault on a 5010 at all. When they start feeling a little sloppy just give em a service. The clutches on them are perfectly fine if you know how to maintain and look after them.

Back